Login

Urgent - Nebula Pro 3 Not Releasing RAM when unloaded!

Serious issues

Re: Urgent - Nebula Pro 3 Not Releasing RAM when unloaded!

Postby giancarlo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 am

nebula releases everything when it's unloaded (freed).
Maybe the host is simply closing it without unloading
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby faun2500 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks for the response. So I take it from your comment that Reaper might not be unloading the plugin.

I will now go to the Reaper forum. (but i might be back!) ;)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Have you tried it checking this option under Preferences/Plug-ins/VST?

UnloadPlug-in.png
UnloadPlug-in.png (58.75 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 am

Yes this is ticked.

Thanks.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Check the link Enrique send you,read it and send it back to them ...You're a musician...?

I was, acoustic drums...

That mean that you're a little electronician,electrician,computer savy,mathematician,sound engineer, sidekick,etc,etc...it comes with it...

I'm electronic + audio technician freelancer working in live audio (music, events, touring) and audiovisual productions (TV, movies) + freelance audio consultant and installer.

As for a possible solution, check some free RAM manager/optimizer on the web. I don't have no names in mind but it's easy to find. It can help you, while the AA team try to find a solution.

There is not much we can provide solutions. You should think in switch to W7 x64 or any x64 OS, like lasted OSX. We already done last year, we sell a lot of audio gear and PC hardware and buy new one x64 ready.

This year we will contact some sequencer developers for make an agree for better customer support. We start to realize RAM problems in x86 OS system after read a long paper from Mark's Blog (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb963890)

If your sequencer goes unstable by OS RAM usage/fragmentation and crash and don't release RAM, we can not do anything than recommend you to switch to a x64 OS.

.LOG report show us RAM usage, you just might add a <DL> 6 </DL> into Nebula .XML using a notepad or similar and send us, we can contact your sequencer developers for a fix but I think they will recommend to switch to a x64 OS.

There a RAM defragmetation app.: http://www.catbytes.de/index.htm
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby rtownsend » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Hello,

Background: I was a MS Windows developer for years.

My Observations: I was running Reaper (3.75) under Windows XP SP3 and got to a state where trying to insert an instance of Nebula 3 Pro (1.3.475) caused Reaper to immediately disappear. Rerunning Reaper, opening the project, and trying to insert an instance of Nebula 3 Pro would cause Reaper to disappear every time. I rebooted Windows, and the problem went away.

I suspect there's something funky (that's a professional term) going on. Memory leak, wild pointer, something.

I will try to duplicate the problem and post more information here. I did not think ahead enough to check the Task Manager to see if Reaper or Nebula processes were still hanging around in memory after the user interface disappeared.

Back when I was programming, Windows memory management left a lot to be desired. I guess it still does, because this company and it's products are still around. These could be useful to developers.

http://www.microquill.com/smartheap/index.html
http://www.microquill.com/heapagent/index.html

Notice that they sell their products for other OSes as well.

This statement from their web site needs to sink in a little bit:

SmartHeap is a fast (3X-100X faster than compiler-supplied libraries), portable (Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IBM-AIX, Dec OSF Tru64, SGI Irix), reliable, ANSI-compliant malloc/operator new library.

That was my experience long ago.

I also posted this on the Reaper forums.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77726
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby rtownsend » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 am

I can reliably duplicate the problem I described above on my system. I used only items from the commercial library, no 3rd party stuff.

It does not appear to be memory leak related. I guess I should have done a little more investigating before posting in this thread. I watched the Performance tab in Task Manager, and when Nebula instances are removed, the memory is recovered.

When the crash occurs (ie, Reaper abruptly disappears), there doesn't seem to be CPU or memory overload. It could be caused by any number of things, so I won't speculate.

Developers: Let me know if you want me to persue this further. I can try to simplify the test case (currently using Reaktor 5.5 as the audio source). There is no information in the Windows XP event logs. I can send the Nebula .log, if you want. I will check in to this thread occasionally, or you can send me e-mail.

I'm not ready to move to Windows 7 64-bit - I will probably just use Nebula in a different workflow than the one that caused the problem above.
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm

a crash could be caused by lacking of ram....
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

There is a crashlog file in Reaper like in Samplitude?
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:34 pm

enriquesilveti wrote: Check the link Enrique send you,read it and send it back to them ...You're a musician...?

I was, acoustic drums...

That mean that you're a little electronician,electrician,computer savy,mathematician,sound engineer, sidekick,etc,etc...it comes with it...

I'm electronic + audio technician freelancer working in live audio (music, events, touring) and audiovisual productions (TV, movies) + freelance audio consultant and installer.

As for a possible solution, check some free RAM manager/optimizer on the web. I don't have no names in mind but it's easy to find. It can help you, while the AA team try to find a solution.

There is not much we can provide solutions. You should think in switch to W7 x64 or any x64 OS, like lasted OSX. We already done last year, we sell a lot of audio gear and PC hardware and buy new one x64 ready.

This year we will contact some sequencer developers for make an agree for better customer support. We start to realize RAM problems in x86 OS system after read a long paper from Mark's Blog (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb963890)

If your sequencer goes unstable by OS RAM usage/fragmentation and crash and don't release RAM, we can not do anything than recommend you to switch to a x64 OS.

.LOG report show us RAM usage, you just might add a <DL> 6 </DL> into Nebula .XML using a notepad or similar and send us, we can contact your sequencer developers for a fix but I think they will recommend to switch to a x64 OS.

There a RAM defragmetation app.: http://www.catbytes.de/index.htm

I didn't even notice that... :shock: Enrique I was talking to faun2500 not you.That question was for him and I was asking him to follow your instructions ... and that a musician has to multitask, nobody is just "a musician" ;)

@faun I hope you fixed it.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs