Login

Ableton Audio Effect Rack feature and Nebula bug

Serious issues

Ableton Audio Effect Rack feature and Nebula bug

Postby mpodrug » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 am

At first i had impression that maybe it is Ableton bug but since this happens only with Nebula plugin i think it's Nebula thing.

What is it? Let's clear some thing before. In case someone is not familiar with what Ableton Effect Rack is then in the most simplest way it is : device in Ableton which give you option to chain one or more FX (there is instrument version as well).

So to speak you can add more of same or different effects in to one rack (or chain) and you can easily save and recall that rack as preset. This is quite handy and useful thing and with each rack you have 8 dedicated controls and you can map these controls to various parameters inside your rack.

In practice this is working quite amazing. You can add some saturator, some compression and some EQ and later you can save that rackchain under some Tape category etc.etc. If you really like to dig deeper i suggest you great Sos article about Ableton Racks (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/a ... h_0107.htm)

Problem with Nebula is this:

It is quite common practice these days to have more then one Nebula in your VST folder. A lot of users do it this way. So we have one nebula (and corresponding XML) configured for Reverbs, one for Compressing or EQing etc.

That said in my VST folder i have:
Nebula Reverb.dll
Nebula Mid.dll and
Nebula Fast.dll.

As name suggest "Reverb" is for Reverb programs, Mid is for compression and EQ programs with far less DSP buffer configured in XML file (for decreased latency), and Fast is used for chorus and light programs.

My problem begins when i want to rack few different Nebula instances inside Ableton rack device. Example:

In rack i add one Nebula Reverb.dll with VirHall II program, one Nebula Mid.dll with some compressor program, and one Nebula Fast.dll with some chorus program. I save it under "test-rack"

I save preset. And problem begins when i try to load that rack device. Every single time when i try to load preset from rack device , i mean every time rack is loaded but with wrong Nebula.dll - so from example above if i try to load "test-rack" it will load three instances of Nebula Fast.dll ?!?? Prgrams inside nebula are loaded in the right way but inside wrong Nebula.dll's

For some reason it will reject Nebula Reverb and Nebula Mid version and it will load reverb program, compressor program and chorus program everything under three instances of nebula Fast.dll. No matter what i do it always load Nebula Fast.dll inside rack.

I tried to rename, remove to separate folders each instance of Nebula.dll but with no success. I don't know anymore what to do to make it working. It is happening only with Nebula plugin. Every other plugin is working as expected inside ableton effect rack.

Very interesting thing is that if i "rack" different nebulas inside ableton project but don't save preset, i mean i rely on project and save project - upon project load they are loaded perfectly.

It only start to act weird when Nebula is "racked" and saved inside preset - then loaded from preset.

Like somehow "rack" is loosing device ID when loading from preset or something.

Very weird..

Totally making Ableton Rack feature unusable for Nebula. Example big reverb programs loaded on Nebula with buffer set to 256 will make your computer stutter because of massive CPU usage under these conditions..

Can someone help..
Attachments
01-before.jpg
Before
01-before.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
02-after.jpg
After
02-after.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Ableton Audio Effect Rack feature and Nebula bug

Postby mpodrug » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Any info on this please?
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mpodrug » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

Bump! Staff i would like to see official response on this so i can proceed further. Thanks.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

it's possible the host doesn't identify the plugin from the name, but from the magic number. It's a parameter located in xml configuration file. It's a 4 characters string.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mpodrug » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Nope...I tried to change these values and since then Ableton can not even find or load projects where i used those Nebula instances.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mpodrug » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 am

Update: It's working now! With your help!

Yesterday (when i posted problems) i tried to do what you told me but i only changed last letter in string hoping that it would be enough. So i changed (nebula fast,mid,and reverb) to:

<MAGIC> o010 </MAGIC> - fast
<MAGIC> o011 </MAGIC> - mid
<MAGIC> o012 </MAGIC> - reverb

But that didn't worked. As i posted in screesnhot.

But today i changed strings in xml file to:

<MAGIC> aaaa </MAGIC> - fast
<MAGIC> bbbb </MAGIC> - mid
<MAGIC> cccc </MAGIC> - reverb

And it's working!!!

Good job! Thanks for this!!
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby LowLines » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

I have a question regarding effects rack.

I put 3 instances of nebula in a rack containing AlexB Pteq EQ program, Low, Mid and High EQ. Sounds good but the thing is every instance is making the rack sound the track quite a big step louder.

So i end up with a very loud track. Any idea how this is occuring and what i should do to counter that?

Thanks in advance.

Bas
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Mplay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Hoi Bas :),

How are you m8! Nice to read you bought Nebula!

AlexB stuff is calibrated at -18dBfs (= 0dBVu), so it's best to hit his Nebula programs at that level. If you do a big boost with an EQ I would lower the output slider to compensate, so the next Nebula instance also is hit at -18dBfs.

Groetjes
Mplay

Postby LowLines » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey Michiel,

Thanks for your quick reply.

So i tried to lower the inputs of the three instances in effect rack to -18dB and that actually made things softer. (when i load three instances without effect rack i dont get that, then they don't sound louder at all)

So i tried to put a pre amp before the three with input at -18dB but then the program got louder?? (guess to do with explanation below)

Maybe u mean i should put Nebula on master or master fader at -18? It's still a bit confusing to me.

Anyways i,ve tried to make another effect rack and imported three instances of Nebula without AlexB's preset and the same thing occured. And just tested with Ableton native EQ plug in and same thing happened so guess its not nebula....

Ill sort it out and look forward philosophise with you on using nebula ;). I have yet a lot to learn!

Thanks

Edit: I made 3 chains with 1 instance instead of 1 chain with three instances, that seemed to be the problem.
LowLines
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Bugs