Login

Q: skins affect performance - why?

About skinning language and skin sharing

Q: skins affect performance - why?

Postby beingmf3 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:49 am

Does the skinning "engine" use some problematic addresses which depend on the kind of GPU? With some skins I'm using (via NebulaSetups) audio will crackle during the loading process and behave worse than with e.g. the generic skin.
Am I alone with that?

[Nebula Server, i7 930, 12GB RAM, Windows 7x64, Reaper 5.11x64]
beingmf3

Re: Q: skins affect performance - why?

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Never had issues with custom skins here ...
Thierr7

Postby richie43 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:13 pm

You are not alone on this...
I won't name names or skins, but I have had periodic issues that i traced to skins that were not subtle issues at all...Nearly catastrophic. When I had problems, Reaper was not even crashing, the project would just vanish, no error log, no event in Windows event viewer, and sometimes upon reopening the project, the audio was corrupted. I discussed this at great length on the beta forum and privately with Giancarlo (privately because it appeared that I was alone in this and I know that this sort of thing can turn into panic and mayhem, which is not necessary..). I have never figured out why this could happen, but I do know that all of the issues disappeared when i went back to the default skin.

My personal opinion has always been that this is not Acustica's fault or responsibility to "fix" since the skins supplied by them have always worked flawlessly and that the other skins are user-made. I have been told by others that Acustica is still partly responsible because they are also providing the platform for users to do this. I tend to go hard-core jerk on this topic and think that the best solution for Acustica then, IF they are to assume any responsibility, is to remove the ability for users to make skins....lol (I hear a few specific "skinners" boiling up right now.....bwahaha). But because user-made skins are part of the old-school community-based vibe around here, I don't see that as a likelihood.

Because until this thread popped up, there has never been a reason for me to raise an alarm because while I don't think it is my system (happened on my previous system AND my new i7), I was still alone with the problems and decided that my solution of sticking with the default skin was an awesome fix. Besides, I like having the same skin for my 100+ Nebula's, it keeps me using my ears and not being fooled by the gorgeous GUI's made by some very talented graphic artists (the compliments are serious, I just prefer not to use them).
This thread will be interesting (thanks for alerting me Kindafishy....)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby keedie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:22 pm

I haven't had any sound issues regarding skins, but Tim P.'s Opto 3A Compressor skin is the issue. The needle jumps erratically when audio passes through it, but the Saturation plug GUI meters works fine. Even after the suggested Tim P. tweaks in the master page and my own tweaks I still have the same erratic behavior. So I just settled on using the overwrite me skin. Not a big deal, just using my ears!
keedie
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:48 pm

keedie wrote:I haven't had any sound issues regarding skins, but Tim P.'s Opto 3A Compressor skin is the issue. The needle jumps erratically when audio passes through it, but the Saturation plug GUI meters works fine. Even after the suggested Tim P. tweaks in the master page and my own tweaks I still have the same erratic behavior. So I just settled on using the overwrite me skin. Not a big deal, just using my ears!

Hi Keedie,

Maybe you could try slowing the GUI RATE down slightly, We found recently that sometimes the rate affects change according to users setup. It's worth experimenting with anyway. Let me know and i'm always here to help, just send us a email.

Ps also let me know what version of nebula you are using just in case we've missed something

Thanks

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby keedie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Will do, thanks.
keedie
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jpn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:16 pm

keedie wrote:I haven't had any sound issues regarding skins, but Tim P.'s Opto 3A Compressor skin is the issue. The needle jumps erratically when audio passes through it, but the Saturation plug GUI meters works fine. Even after the suggested Tim P. tweaks in the master page and my own tweaks I still have the same erratic behavior. So I just settled on using the overwrite me skin. Not a big deal, just using my ears!

Don´t forget Opto 3A Compressor skin has Reduction meter Vu´s ;)
jpn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:Maybe you could try slowing the GUI RATE down slightly, We found recently that sometimes the rate affects change according to users setup. It's worth experimenting with anyway. Let me know and i'm always here to help, just send us a email.

Tim

I've noticed this with the Opto and Sum100 libraries...the needles and knobs were behaving erratically and I had to tweak GUI RATES quite carefully to get things right. I started with the fastest recommended setting and slowed down from there until the visual feedback became more useful. My GPU and drivers are showing their age now too...not sure how much that factors into the equation.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby beingmf3 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies to all!
Well, my problems aren't as bad as your experiences, Richie - Reaper never crashed or just "vanished". Ouch. I just have the impression that loading times are significantly longer and certain skin tend to cause more sonic glitches than others.
I'm not talking about Tim's skins (which work very well in that regard btw.) which seem to have some "cosmetic" faults, but don't affect performance.

So I think I'll return to the generic Nebula skin for most of the programs then - even if some of the 3rd party skins look damn nice for certain libraries ...
beingmf3

Postby richie43 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 pm

beingmf3 wrote:Thanks for the replies to all!
Well, my problems aren't as bad as your experiences, Richie - Reaper never crashed or just "vanished". Ouch. I just have the impression that loading times are significantly longer and certain skin tend to cause more sonic glitches than others.
I'm not talking about Tim's skins (which work very well in that regard btw.) which seem to have some "cosmetic" faults, but don't affect performance.

So I think I'll return to the generic Nebula skin for most of the programs then - even if some of the 3rd party skins look damn nice for certain libraries ...

Ha ha...so now you think that this thread is "solved" and can be forgotten...? You have opened a potential "can of worms", I think that this is just starting now...lol
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Skins