Login

a very different skin - fair warning

About skinning language and skin sharing

a very different skin - fair warning

Postby hopi2013 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 am

please just go here and see it and get the links if you want it.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1304281#post1304281
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: a very different skin - fair warning

Postby mathias » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:37 am

this one is great :lol:

what a different experience ...
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby ianc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

looks interesting
like your in developement one too, the red leds on black I find easy to work with. just a few markers to give an idea of db levels further down the scale and I'd find it to be ideal for my failing eye sight. Thanks for your efforts
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby hopi2013 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 am

thanks guys... actually I am pleasantly amazed that anyone else finds this interesting.

yeah, meters are strange thing in neb skins... these are set to to some funny db's because without that the 'green flash' would hardly ever show up.

I think there are very few skins that provide any really accurate metering... [I could be wrong :)] but they seem to me to be both arbitrary and approximate. I have been experimenting with various meters and db setting ... it is quite an ongoing process. The number of 'needles' in a meter vs. the db setting for each one.

Let's see... if failing eyes are the problem, on that link to the reaper forum, there is a post with a huge skin... with very clear and large meters.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mplay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Can't believe how many skins you've made already, thanks so much. This one definitely puts a smile on my face :D. About the metering, I have no idea how but Ngarjuna made some skins with very good ones. They're called the black desk series, here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1451&
Mplay

Postby hopi2013 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:38 am

right I am in touch with ngarjuna ... we are friends on the reaper forum... and he has shared his info on the metering work he did way back then...

but really there are at least two parts to making meters on a skin..
1- how many and how the 'needles' are made, and then what the matching db settings are for the various needles in the skin's .xml file.

So a short example of this is:

Say you have a meter range of whatever to whatever.. and you make 20 png files for the needles.
Neb will display one of those png 'needles' at the point of each specified db value.
To your eye, it may look like an illusion of the needles moving along an analog, smooth range.. but it's is not true.

Now say you make instead, 40 png needles.. OK so you should get a 'closer to smooth' more complete range of this illusion... you see?

ngarjuna has done some pretty ultimate experiments with this.. i.e., the average skin has somewhere between 20 and 40 png 'needles'. He made at least one with 180 png needles... OMG.. my hats off to him!

But there is more to all this. Most often the png needles are just reused for all meters in a skin. So if you have 30 needles per meter, and say two meters for in and out, you only need to have 30 png files for their needles. Even if you make the skin with stereo meters, the same 30 png 'needles' get reused for each meter.

But in a scheme like RAINBOW each meter, L in, R in, L out and R out must have it's own complete set of png 'needles'... so with the four meters in RAINBOW that is already 160 png files at 40 per meter.

Also because RAINBOW is an 'art piece' more than a hardware skin, the arc of meters does no visual good until it extends more fully than the db's would really demand... hahaha a short rainbow is no fun, eh?

More than you ever wanted to know I'm sure... but I could not stop myself talking. hahaha

The meters on both MIDNITE and my newest CHOCOLATE might be more to your liking. :)
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ianc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:38 pm

thanks for info and link guys
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Return to Skins