Login

Major Hardware Skins / Custom Setups Project

About skinning language and skin sharing

Re: Major Hardware Skins / Custom Setups Project

Postby botus99 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 am

Again, these look great! I'm curious as to what the "OVERFLOW" button does though...
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby JayFathom » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 am

Elam - Great thanks for the heads up on the legalities! I do not think I will release them with names - when it comes down to it - Although I may keep named versions for my self to work with once I start to collect all these great libraries and make my own custom setups. =D If I do get very ambitious I will make the library name used by the DEV in likeness to the originals - but we will have to see! tons of work to do!

My goal is to make 1 new skin a day (actually in the morning before my day starts) over the next months.

Thanks again Botus!

Um regarding the "overflow" I had it labelled as clip but then I started to think - Some had it as "overload" or "OL" and I wasn't sure if it really was a "clip" - or that the signal can exceed a max threshold to become more driven or harmonically distorted? or maybe that it is exceeding the sampled range of the library? or is it simply for when the signal passes 0 on the VU meters.

Can someone shed some light on this? It was a bit of grey area for me.
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

Postby javahut » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 pm

FWIW... the examples you post look great. I hope the knobs work well. For myself, I've found many of the knobbed GUIs to not work so well. They're more than a little difficult to tell where to grab to make small changes in some cases. And of the GUIs with faders, I've found the SK_Vintage_Mach to work by far the best out of all of the GUIs, as far as actually precisely being able to control the movement with a mouse. So I tend to use it more often than any of the others due to that alone.

Just to say... the mock-ups you're doing look great. But if using the knobs via mouse is imprecise, as many of the existing GUIs seem to be, the looks of the GUI will matter little to me. I'll use the one with the best control.

Good luck with it. Nebula definitely could stand improvements in the UI.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby JayFathom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey Javahut, Thanks for the input - What I'm thinking now is yes it seems users are screaming more for functionality than cosmetics (Which I agree needs a little work) - to be honest I would like to work on a whole new GUI experience with the developers of the product, but as far as I know there focus right now seems to lay in the sound/performance of the technology and not as much to the cosmetics and user experience.
I respect there focus/devotion on that department.

There are a lot of set rules with the current GUI spec that don't allow for a lot of change/improvement from what we have seen - I'm starting to think maybe my hardware flavor skin pack should maybe be put on hold to make just a better "Generic" interface for the product as a whole.

I'm thinking now:

Generic EQ/preamp skin (knob and sliders versions)

Generic Console Skin (I have been working on a 9000k skin)

Generic Compressor Skin (I wish we could have gain reduction meter)

I'm willing to help where ever I can - I just don't think there is much space to move on the current GUI rules.
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Melon_Jack » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 am

Right now, nothing special. Sorry.. Just like other skins, but with another pic-sources. But there's a potential, no doubt!) I'm pretty sure, that u'll do something really cool in time. I vote for sliders. They are much handy, than knobs, because of dimension, or lenght.. Dunno, how to say that =)
Good luck! We believe in your talent!)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby JayFathom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 am

OK - Sliders are in! knobs are out! new skins coming!

I agree on sliders now - after playing with knobs - 100 percent!

Also I was showing concepts before and the more u guys give me as feedback (on those and others) the more I'm learning and realizing some issues! so thanks very much!

Functionality over cosmetics!
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

Postby JayFathom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 am

Melonjack,

I get the complaining about same skin other pic-sources I chose that skin (SK) to start with for ease of making these to a template - to make more in a short time...Not sure if you got that aspect of it! completely fresh skins with more amounts of new XML code and what not is a lot of extra work...I was simply going for speed...as I knew many of the people were using the SK skins - knobs and slider versions. =D
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

Postby JayFathom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 am

New thread?

What does the Nebula community want via interface?
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mr.tele » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 am

I'd like to see the best possible implementation of VU accuracy and fine control. Right now, we don't have both on any skin that I'm aware of.
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby JayFathom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 am

noted! =D
JayFathom
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to Skins