Login

Easy way to change skins - Mod Manager for PC

About skinning language and skin sharing

Easy way to change skins - Mod Manager for PC

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Go here and download the mod manager
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/softwa ... jsgme.html

Install it in the Nebula Skins folder. Well you don't really need to install it. I just copied the main file from a pervious installation for a game to the Nebula Skins Folder

When you run it, create a Mods folder inside the Skins folder.

Now you just create a directory for each alternate skin you have inside the Mods folder
Place the skin inside each respective folder and rename the skin file to OverwriteMe.N2S

Run the Mod manager again, and each skin will appear on the left of the screen, just select the one you want, and hit the arrow key pointing to the right to install and vice versa to revert to original

If the original is in place before you install other skins, the Mod Manager will back it up so you can roll back

Hopefully in future we won't need to do this, and it will be done inside Nebula itself...

If future skins releases have a directory created with the OverwriteMe.N2S file already inside, it would be evern better! 8-)
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Easy way to change skins - Mod Manager for PC

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 pm

You actually can change the skin from right inside Nebula:

On the master page (in Guru mode) the last category should be Skin which you can then use the knob or slider (program #2) to adjust between skins available.

It doesn't automatically change the skin of the instance you have open but all subsequent Nebulas that you instantiate should be with the new skin (if you were to close and then reopen the project then the former instances would also be altered).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Gah all that effort :oops:
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

CoolColJ wrote:Gah all that effort :oops:

Sorry! Interestingly it didn't used to be adjustable in the Master page, you used to use a utility which worked pretty much like the one you posted (in this case it was specific to Nebula skins but exactly the same idea) but that changed a while back.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby scottkane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:24 pm

hey looks interesting cause i want to make a new skin for it..! :) cheers happy new year all
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby javahut » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm

I still don't really get this skin change method in Nebula.

A lot of 3rd party sets have individual specific skins designed for them. In Nebula 3 Pro, you change to a new skin via the Master page. The Master page is global or universal. Once you change the skin for one instantiation of Nebula, from then on, every instantiation, new or previous, then has the the new skin.

So how do you get a particular program or set or instantion to open with the its correct GUI?... when, if you change one... they all change the next time you open them? Nebula doesn't seem to save any Master page info with each instantiation, nor within the DAW's project file. Once you change anything on the Master page, every single instance is changed the next time it's opened.

What is the point of multiple skins as they exist now, except for changing the skin globally for every new and previous instantiation of the plug-in?... unless you just happen to like one particular skin over another to use on everything.

It seems to me the skin setting should not be set globally from the Master page, but should be in a particular set's XML file, or something similar.

Is there something I'm missing?... another location that it gets saved if I save the particular instantiation of the plug-in's settings a certain way or in a certain location?

Thanks.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby CoolColJ » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 pm

If you use a program called Nebula Setups, you can have separate instances of Nebula, with different names, different programs and different skins.

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

Each instance saves to different XML file, which is how the skin is set different for each one
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby javahut » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

CoolColJ wrote:If you use a program called Nebula Setups, you can have separate instances of Nebula, with different names, different programs and different skins.

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

Each instance saves to different XML file, which is how the skin is set different for each one

Thanks for the info! Just tried it out. This great! Not only is it good for skins, but even if you don't want something other than the default skin, it let's you set up Master XML settings for any particular group of Nebula sets you want.

The instruction manual is a little obtuse, but just scanning through it to get the basic idea, and then running the program and seeing the results of what's generated... I figured out basically what it's doing enough to use it correctly. I -can- see, however, how some less technical or engineer oriented types can find Nebula confusing to use, and therefore wouldn't buy into it.

Luckily, for me, Nebula is becoming more familiar everyday and I'm loving it! Now if I can just afford a newer -super- computer to get a huge number of instances at low enough latency to monitor in near real time!!! Way more than good enough for now though!

Thanks again for the info on the Nebula Setups program!
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Skins