Login

Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

About skinning language and skin sharing

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 pm

RJHollins wrote:I'm familiar with the 'linked' meter description ...
but my question [confusion] is the talk of animation rate, and its' affect on meter ballistics.

Are 'we' saying that this animation rate does NOT affect meter ballistics ?? Some of the user comments seem to indicate a 'response' change. :?

Just trying to get clarification.

Thanks!

The GUIRATE setting will just change the needle smoothness :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 pm

RJHollins wrote:I'm familiar with the 'linked' meter description ...
but my question [confusion] is the talk of animation rate, and its' affect on meter ballistics.

Are 'we' saying that this animation rate does NOT affect meter ballistics ?? Some of the user comments seem to indicate a 'response' change. :?

Just trying to get clarification.

Thanks!

It definitely does affect the ballistics. But it's kind of a complex interaction of the GUI framerate, the animation steps and the actual data the meter is serving up so I don't have a clear answer for you other than season to taste. As Mercado_Negro and himhui's comments illustrate there's a noticeable difference between 5ms GUI rate and 50. It actually makes the Nebula meter more configurable (in terms of ballistic calibration) than your average VST meter even aside from the modes which was an unexpected surprise.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Why is this? Do I have wrong settings?

Nice looking skins though,[/quote]

Unlike peak meters, VU meters don't jump much with signals that are just very fast transients, it's a fairly slow meter. This is both a limitation and feature of the VU spec.[/quote]

Ok, But shouldn't it read exactly the same each time as its just a kick drum copied for 4 beats?[/quote]

If the average (over the VU time spec) is identical for each hit, then yes. But that is rarely going to happen unless you used one drum sample over and over without variation.

Also, is your meter mode set for 7 VU? If it were set for peak it could get weird results.[/quote]

With dance music it is a kick sampled copied over and over (pretty standard since the late 80's really. ;)

But aftyer reading these new posts it seems that i might have to change GUI?

These are the settings I wanted to know.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Im sorry but I just cant get this to work well.

I load PSP VU meter after Nebula and it reacts exactly as I expect but these Nebula VU's are not the same at all.

I must have some setting wrong somewhere.

I have all latencies down. GUI rate to the lowest setting

Is there anything else?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Ok, I have this working and the VU's are now working great! :D

This will make work flow much quicker! Now only if there was a 'clip light reset switch' :roll:

If you don't mind, a few thoughts on the skin...

The VU's look great, but that is a serious amount of space for something that simple. I mean, the main display is hard to read (at best) with all the info but its losing the battle for screen real-estate!

Why can't the main screen be twice the size? Say the whole of the top section and then a couple of VU meters under that.

The text on the main screen is a bit blurry for me.
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yr » Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 pm

First- thanks Ngarjuna for the new skins, they look great.

I did discover something strange/interesting: using wavelab @96kHz I tried matching the behavior of the new meters/skin with those of the PSP vintagemeter. I more or less succeeded, but it seems like the new metering is preset dependent. I can more or less get the same read-outs from Nebula/PSP when I use AlexB presets, but when I switch to cdsoundmaster libraries I get very different results. A -18dB test tone gives 0VU on psp as expected, but only -12VU (approximately) on the new skin with a T*****t preset. The R2R library results are even more extreme with the new vu meter showing no activity at all with the test tone.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Vando » Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Now that you are taking requests, how about sliders instead of knobs?
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 pm

yr wrote:First- thanks Ngarjuna for the new skins, they look great.

I did discover something strange/interesting: using wavelab @96kHz I tried matching the behavior of the new meters/skin with those of the PSP vintagemeter. I more or less succeeded, but it seems like the new metering is preset dependent. I can more or less get the same read-outs from Nebula/PSP when I use AlexB presets, but when I switch to cdsoundmaster libraries I get very different results. A -18dB test tone gives 0VU on psp as expected, but only -12VU (approximately) on the new skin with a T*****t preset. The R2R library results are even more extreme with the new vu meter showing no activity at all with the test tone.

Thanks, yr.

The R2R thing is because of how those programs are padded I believe (I noticed the same thing when I was taking screenshots). I think that is how the old meters read as well on those programs (I honestly never used to look at Nebula meters so I'm not totally positive).

The difference between the CDSoundmaster and AlexB consoles is interesting, I'll have to ponder that. I'm thinking Michael probably padded the console programs in some way but I'm not positive how one who is mixing to 0VU (as -18dBFS) is supposed to read Nebula meters on CDSM programs. It seems to me Michael has addressed this very issue in an older thread but for the life of me I can't recall where/when (or what he said).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Vando wrote:Now that you are taking requests, how about sliders instead of knobs?

I will definitely give it a shot (maybe a variation of some kind with sliders).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Sun May 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Just tested more cdsoundmaster libraries and they seem to give various results: most libraries need a -8 to -6dB signal for the VU meter to show 0, but the Cooltec, for instance, shows -3 on the VU meter with a 0dBFS test signal. If the metering type selected in Nebula actually effects how the programs behave then we have a problem when trying to use the VU mode...
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Skins