Login

Meter Question

About skinning language and skin sharing

Re: Meter Question

Postby yewtreemagic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:21 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Those of you wondering about the needle performance/speed, it's still a little bit choppy but not at all like it used to be. Even though it's a bit more quantized than a fancier animation would yield it's quite usable as it is now: the needle definitely moves fast enough to get useful readings but slowly enough that it still dances like you'd expect a VU needle to dance. Eventually Giancarlo is hoping to add some more features to the animation that will make it smoother but, until then, Nebula meters are finally in a spot where I would consider them pretty useful. Hopefully this will result in lots more meters/themes being cranked out!

Hi ngarjuna!

Those look great - really looking forward to trying them out when you've finished them 8-)

Just a thought (and I might be wrong) but in my experiments with meter 'speed' I tried manually editing the Nebula 3 Reverb.XML file to see if values outside the normal limits would be accepted.

I'm sure Giancarlo will soon confirm whether or not I'm fooling myself, but I tried:

<GUIRATE> 10000 </GUIRATE>

for a much fastest 10mS GUIRATE and it seemed snappier to me without increasing CPU overheads at all.

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Sat May 28, 2011 4:36 pm

yewtreemagic wrote:Hi ngarjuna!

Those look great - really looking forward to trying them out when you've finished them 8-)

Just a thought (and I might be wrong) but in my experiments with meter 'speed' I tried manually editing the Nebula 3 Reverb.XML file to see if values outside the normal limits would be accepted.

I'm sure Giancarlo will soon confirm whether or not I'm fooling myself, but I tried:

<GUIRATE> 10000 </GUIRATE>

for a much fastest 10mS GUIRATE and it seemed snappier to me without increasing CPU overheads at all.

Martin

Hello Martin,

Thanks! I'll have them ready shortly, hopefully.

I have to admit I've never tried manually adjusting the GUI rate. There is some new code in this update that lowered the minimum possible GUI rate to 30 (I think it's ms), you can set that on the MAST page; I'm not sure if you can manually push it below that or if it just defaults to the lowest possible.

But that's a good point, lowering it down from the default (which was 80ms I think) to 30ms does improve the animation when you're dealing with so many steps. The rest of the choppiness gets into animation concepts that are above my paygrade but Giancarlo mentioned that the way some programs achieve a very smooth needle animation is through the use of fading from one frame to the next and stuff like that. I know that he intends to continue to improve the performance of the meters vis-a-vis UI so things should get continue to get even better as he's able to make those improvements.

Of course, the degree of choppiness is relative. With this update it's not even comparable to before, I have those needle meters in the picture set to where you get a new animation every .1dB in certain ranges, so when I say choppy I'm really being nitpicky, they're very usable. If I were a stronger animator (not my forte hehe this is really my first try at this kind of thing) I could probably make a smoother animation. So it seems likely to me that we could see some new themes with this update that will be way better than mine.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby yewtreemagic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:39 pm

ngarjuna wrote:I have to admit I've never tried manually adjusting the GUI rate. There is some new code in this update that lowered the minimum possible GUI rate to 30 (I think it's ms), you can set that on the MAST page; I'm not sure if you can manually push it below that or if it just defaults to the lowest possible.

Actually I don't think it's new code - just new default settings more suitable for newcomers that existing users could already set in the MAST page for themselves.

I find with the PEAK meter setting and the new defaults that 'ladder' meters finally move in time with the music :lol:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Sat May 28, 2011 5:26 pm

yewtreemagic wrote:Actually I don't think it's new code - just new default settings more suitable for newcomers that existing users could already set in the MAST page for themselves.

I find with the PEAK meter setting and the new defaults that 'ladder' meters finally move in time with the music :lol:

Martin

Actually you're right, I think the 30ms setting is not new. I think what Giancarlo said was that in some future developments they would try to lower that GUI draw rate even further.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 am

Well the experiments with trying to make a 4-button theme didn't go very well. So I finished these two instead:

Just need to figure out how to make them into N2S files and I'll upload them.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 pm

If I remember..should be NAT > Crypt > Crypt folder. Browse your .XML file and use key 10 = free key. Press OK. Always make a backup first!!!
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 1:52 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:

If I remember..should be NAT > Crypt > Crypt folder. Browse your .XML file and use key 10 = free key. Press OK. Always make a backup first!!!

Thanks, that was exactly it.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun May 29, 2011 2:00 pm

:D
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Aha, I did some more experiments, now I think I know how to make themes with less than 8 knobs.

Here's my next work in progress:

The Meter. Just a standalone meter with no controls. It never fails to amaze me how many different things Nebula can do.

It will probably be a bit heavy CPU wise for a meter (although it's just the INIT program so it's not terrible) but it's BIG so it should be very easy to see without obscuring the whole screen with controls.

ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Skins