Login

Meter Question

About skinning language and skin sharing

Meter Question

Postby ngarjuna » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Started playing with a skin and the skinning guide and I have a question; actually I have many questions but the answer to this one will probably determine whether I even bother asking the rest:

is the meter section limited to 20 slides?

I just put together a little needle meter and...it leaves a lot to be desired, very quantized and doesn't really move at all like a VU needle. I think it's going to take a LOT more frames to make this in any way smooth. So...can that be done or is it limited to 20? The skin guide makes it sound like it's limited to 20.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: Meter Question

Postby ngarjuna » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Well I kept working on this theme anyway (would still like an answer about needle VUs please) and now I'm at a new problem: my buttons won't instantiate.

Mostly, I just get blank spaces where the knobs should be. Occasionally (when I tweak the X/Y somewhat randomly) I'll get a strip of graphics to show but when you drag vertically it just pulls down the graphical strip which is the button PNG (I hope that makes sense).

Here's what the skinning guide says about knobs:
4f) Program Knobs
You can define 8 or less program knobs. The standard Nebula is equipped with 8 program sliders/knobs, and they are
general-purpose sliders/knobs defined by the current working program or by the user. They are located in the
<SLIDERS> section, for example a knob is defined as follows: (in this example knob number 6 is defined)
<MIX6>
<SLIDER> Knob.png </SLIDER>
<SLIDERMINX> 455 </SLIDERMINX> <SLIDERMINY> 271 </SLIDERMINY>
<SLIDERMAXX> 565 </SLIDERMAXX> <SLIDERMAXY> 381 </SLIDERMAXY>
<KNOBMODE> 1 </KNOBMODE>
<DISPLAYADDCHARS> 7 </DISPLAYADDCHARS>
<DISPLAYADDX> 490 </DISPLAYADDX> <DISPLAYADDY> 349 </DISPLAYADDY>
</MIX6>
There is the handle, a rectangle that defines the location on the background and a height.
The knob's mini-LCD is composed by 3 lines, the number of characters for each line is defined by
<DISPLAYADDCHARS>, but it cannot be lower than 7 or greater than 9.
<DISPLAYADDX> and <DISPLAYADDY> defines the left-upper position of the knob's mini-LCD.

So several questions:
1. Okay, so there's a handle, a rectangle (location) and a height. Syntax please? Here's mine (compare to the example), I really don't understand why it's not working.

<MIX1>
<KNOBMODE> 1 </KNOBMODE>
<SLIDER> Knob_red.png </SLIDER>
<SLIDERMINX> 55 </SLIDERMINX> <SLIDERMINY> 255 </SLIDERMINY>
<SLIDERMAXX> 165 </SLIDERMAXX> <SLIDERMAXY> 340 </SLIDERMAXY>
<DISPLAYADDCHARS> 7 </DISPLAYADDCHARS>
<DISPLAYADDX> 47 </DISPLAYADDX> <DISPLAYADDY> 297 </DISPLAYADDY>
</MIX1>

So why won't my knob instantiate? The only thing I could think of is that the PNG must be named knob.PNG (in which case, definitely add that to the skinning guide, that's important). If that's it, then shame on me for not trying that. This is kind of frustrating because, due to how new/small Nebula is, there isn't anywhere else we can go for info; but the info available on theming is scant.

A couple more:
can the mini-LCD be sub-divided and presented in different areas or only as a single line?

Can it be displayed vertically instead of horizontally? It occurred to me that all of the themes are rectangular (wider across) mostly due to having 8 knobs or sliders in sequence, but it would be cool to have some themes that were longwise on the vertical (like the way the Glue is shaped). But the mini-LCD is kind of make or break so it would need to play ball for that to work.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue May 10, 2011 7:06 pm

PM
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Well I solved my knob problem via experiment.

From what I can tell the X/Y dimensions of your button grab area must be identical to the actual X/Y dimensions of your knob PNG. Once I reset those numbers to 75px the knobs instantiated correctly.

May want to add that to the skinning guide.

Incidentally: if you have one dimension set correctly and the other not it was showing up but when you grabbed the area and dragged it literally dragged the image strip through that space. If you see this symptom it means you should check your dimensions (and probably you have one set correctly and one not).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Fri May 13, 2011 4:12 pm

number of frames in meters is not limited any more. We'll post a new release soon...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 13, 2011 4:51 pm

giancarlo wrote:number of frames in meters is not limited any more. We'll post a new release soon...

That is awesome!! Thanks for the update, G. Guess I can start working on my frames now =)
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Curiosity: any suggestions (based on what you're seeing in beta) on how many frames are good for needles? I could see too many overwhelming the system (although it would probably have to be WAY too many) and too few will look stepped. Just wondering if you guys have discovered a magic number that seems to be working well. I'm working on .1dB increments right now but obviously it would be easy enough to do more or less.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun May 15, 2011 9:53 am

ngarjuna wrote:Curiosity: any suggestions (based on what you're seeing in beta) on how many frames are good for needles? I could see too many overwhelming the system (although it would probably have to be WAY too many) and too few will look stepped. Just wondering if you guys have discovered a magic number that seems to be working well. I'm working on .1dB increments right now but obviously it would be easy enough to do more or less.

PM
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ngarjuna » Mon May 16, 2011 6:33 pm

ngarjuna wrote:...can the mini-LCD be sub-divided and presented in different areas or only as a single line?

Can it be displayed vertically instead of horizontally? It occurred to me that all of the themes are rectangular (wider across) mostly due to having 8 knobs or sliders in sequence, but it would be cool to have some themes that were longwise on the vertical (like the way the Glue is shaped). But the mini-LCD is kind of make or break so it would need to play ball for that to work...

By the way, I was just being stupid about the mini-LCD, these questions don't even make sense (there is no single mini-LCD there are areas for each button where it prints the mini-LCD for that button). So, indeed, it's fairly easy to reorganize the mini-LCD.

I have my theme in progress moving right along: finally got everything working in the current version. Once the new version comes out with the new meters all I should have to do is render out my individual needle frames and figure out how to code them in. I'm excited! It's currently the largest needle-style VU meter I own.

I was planning to make variants for different kinds of programs; so that console programs only have Mix7/8 knobs, EQ programs only have 1/2/3/7/8 etc. Is there any way to accomplish this inside a single Nebula .DLL or is this a situation where you'd copy the Nebula_Reverb DLL and make a version for each skin? Just a curiosity (if it's too much of a pain maybe I'll abandon the idea of different sub-themes for different tasks altogether).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 pm

contact me tomorrow, I'll provide a new version for testing. Sorry for being busy, but this cuda stuff is driving me crazy.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Skins