Login

AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Postby sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens
sfunk

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

As I suggest in the user manual, the best way to work like "old school" is to put this VU Meter
on your mixbuss, or listening room buss, as last plugin. Set the VU Meter to -18dBfs and use it to read the loudness during the mix (and also during tracking). Your point now is the 0dB VU on the VU Meter, forgot your dBfs scale. Imagine that it is your VU Meter on the console. :mrgreen:
In this way your mix will sound better and Nebula reacts like the hardware with the correct gain staging. Then you can drive nebula at your taste.

You can use the Waves Dorrough Meter also.

Cheers
Alex
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am

sfunk wrote:Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens

If you overload Nebula is like overload the hardware. Not so good. Please refer at the user manual and at my previous post.
Thanks
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

AlexB wrote:
sfunk wrote:Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens

If you overload Nebula is like overload the hardware. Not so good. Please refer at the user manual and at my previous post.
Thanks

Hi Alex thats fair but sometimes overloading happens by accident or for example with dynamic recordings like a vocal goes from loud to quiet. I amm not joking when i say this noise is astoundingly loud, its not like the distortion gradually occurs its simply jumps to ear/speaker splitting level. Any idea why this is?
sfunk

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

If you tracking at the right level is quite impossible that it happens: You have 18dB of dynamic range over the 0dBVU and Nebula virtually doesn't clip. Says that, I haven't experimented this kind of noise or problem. Maybe it depends by other settings in your system, other plugins in the chain and so.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

i'll test it tonight when im in the studio. I am sure there was a thrasd about loud beeping a few months ago and we seemed to agree it happened with your consoles, however i will do a thorough check with just a conole and get back to you. By the way I am setting signals going into Neb are with RMS of -18dBFS and peaking at around -6dBFS for more dynamic material.

Edit-heres the thread

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p8527
sfunk

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Yes, I have read but if you read the user manual this "problem" doesn't happen. Nebula works and reacts like the hardware, and it's like if you have this hardware in your DAW. So, if you push it too hot is not a good thing because it is like if you push the console at +18dBVU (18dB over the zero!) = non sense. Learning to work with the correct gain staging lowering the input or, better, tacking at the right levels like you should do with the hardware... It's the same thing. ;)
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

anthonyw wrote:Thanks, how do you enter exact values for the settings?

By editing the XML file.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby tb-av » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45 pm

AlexB wrote:
Learning to work with the correct gain staging lowering the input or, better, tacking at the right levels like you should do with the hardware... It's the same thing.

Do you guys track through these consoles or track clean? Also what level do you track at. I tend to aim for -10 peaks. Is that ok. Im planning to buy a console soon but still trying to figure this stuff out.
tb-av
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Mimi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:13 am

I read the various threads above and I decided to post An Integrated Approach to Metering, Monitoring, and Levelling Practices by Bob katz in pdf .
It is very good, and help in better understanding of this practice...I now ditched the protools and I am user reaper .
At the reaper exists a calibration K-system of Bob katz...It felt good to share this information with all.
I'm a fan of Bob katz...And it helped a lot in my transition from recording analogue to digital .
A Big hug for all :mrgreen: :lol:

follow the link below:
http://www.4shared.com/file/N060kN0Q/Bob_catz.html
Mimi

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries