Login

CDSM reel to reel new GUI's?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

CDSM reel to reel new GUI's?

Postby void » Tue May 22, 2012 2:17 pm

I noticed on CDSM's site for reel to reel, that there is now actual GUI's. I havent been here for a long time. Is this a free upgrade? Works on PC? I have searched the forum but Im confused and cant find any info. thanks !
void
User Level I
User Level I

Re: CDSM reel to reel new GUI's?

Postby Grim » Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 pm

The "GUI" versions are individual AQUA VST plugs which were a completely new release.

It wasn't a free upgrade but there is a heavy discount if you'd already purchased the Neb library.

You'll need to email Michael to get the discount.

Same applies for TB+

& yes works on PC.
Grim

Postby Dogbite » Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am

I was hoping that the GUI would act as a 'host' to then be able to step through different tape settings, but they don't.

So there isn't any real benefit in using them over the regular Nebula presets because you still have to load them on an individual basis.
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby richie43 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Dogbite wrote:So there isn't any real benefit in using them over the regular Nebula presets because you still have to load them on an individual basis.

Debatable though. The Aqua versions are great for people who want the sounds but don't want to buy into the whole Nebula investment. I have both, actually, and use the Aqua versions often for a change in work-flow, which is great for my creativity at times.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Dogbite » Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Ah, of course - if you don't own Nebula then yes, definitely the way to go.

But you understand my disappointment at not being able to switch presets as opposed to just loading another plugin.

:)
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby richie43 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 am

I understand what you think you are disappointed with..... :mrgreen:, but becaus eall Nebula and Aqua fx are so cpu intensive, even if you could change presets from within the browser, it would take so long and I would assume it would be less stable. I choose more stable please! Besides, I have already taken the plunge deep into this Nebula/Aqua mess and have radically altered my work-flow to accommodate, so I use what's available and hardly ever ask for changes. These devs will implement improvements when the improvements are ready and when the Nebula engine can handle the changes.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu May 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Dogbite,

I would have to say that the GUI themselves are a large benefit to the Acqua collection. Once you have a feel for the individual machines, you are likely going to know exactly what you want to use for a given track/bus. Yes, I understand the host/preset load thing, but I also see that as the benefit for the collection within Neb!

With Neb, you have the most options and a loading host and the sound quality, and with the VST stand alone you have the same sound quality, the wonderful gui's that are the result of a ton of blood, sweat, and tears, and the ability to load only the program needed without additional cpu load. Considering a very, very reasonable cost to add the stand alone for Neb R2R/TB+ customers, the feedback has been very positive.

Dogbite wrote:I was hoping that the GUI would act as a 'host' to then be able to step through different tape settings, but they don't.

So there isn't any real benefit in using them over the regular Nebula presets because you still have to load them on an individual basis.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes, that is the goal.
For people that do not own Neb or have a desire to use it, the stand alone is a way to reach people outside the Neb world, and it also eventually makes them aware of the excellent sound of the technology, and often they end up being Neb customers. My releases are always geared towards having some kind of benefit for the Neb library version; in this case, there are more variations available. For the Neb user that wants the best of both worlds, they will always receive an extremely easy add-on price for a stand alone version of something they have purchased in Neb form, so that the benefits of great looking devices and flexibility are always complimentary and very easy to justify the cost.

richie43 wrote:
Dogbite wrote:So there isn't any real benefit in using them over the regular Nebula presets because you still have to load them on an individual basis.

Debatable though. The Aqua versions are great for people who want the sounds but don't want to buy into the whole Nebula investment. I have both, actually, and use the Aqua versions often for a change in work-flow, which is great for my creativity at times.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWAN » Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Michael - you should really do some more promotion of the Tape stuff - as all together it really is exceptional - especially as you have all 3 processes as VST and those 'pros' who dont like the hassle of Nebula can use a GUI now...with the Machine, TB+ and VTM...all together from you as a package.

Given the lust for tape sound now - the UAD model praise and the impending Slate release - I rekon you should do a promotional sale on Gearslutz and get them out there a bit more. It really is a convincing tape sound - who knows what Slate will come up with but unless Fabrice re-invents the wheel I cant imagine it being a whole lot better than what already is out there...

I used to post some of the audio examples in Gearslutz of Tapebooster and its obvious how great it sounds compared to algo models...

Some audio and a new video with all 3 tape processes would kick ass.

Hope its not rude of me to suggest - but I like the products and want to see it get its due praise and success.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 25, 2012 1:27 am

The Nebula-based R2R is still better than the new GUIs. Why? Because of the multiple passes on machines/tapes that you don't get with the GUI version. The Wollensak programs in particular, not one of the Wollensak programs is like another. With the GUI you get a composite on one tape stock; no comparison to the 12 or so really awesome (and totally different) programs you get with the Nebula version. Even on the machines which are far more consistent per pass like the Studer you get multiple input level programs which allow you, if you care to, to make extremely realistic decisions based on the level you're hitting the R2R program.

The GUIs are great if you don't use Nebula already but the Nebula R2R is still the superior library if you do.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries