Login

Sontec

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Sontec

Postby RuudUnit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:44 am

I've been reading a lot of glowing reviews of the Sontec mastering eq. Does a Nebula version exist? If no, consider it a request :)
RuudUnit
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Sontec

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:39 am

interested, it's near-identical sibling is in the geq. The well-known Sontec and 'geq' are literally from the same schematic of a transformerless mixing desk that was never made by either designer.

I believe there is now a nice, but slightly different, reissue of the Sontec, same, but new organization of the same developer, but now we are talking about cost based on name and other factors, in my opinion.

The "G" is an amazing eq for mastering or truly anything, and it costs a lot as a result. But, the Sontec has risen to the cost and status, in my opinion, because of the extreme rarity. Service was near obsolete, parts impossible to find, few people that could replace with suitable options. The price should be equal or less than the "g" for a new one, again in my opinion. If the tables were turned and all replaceable materials for the 8200 suddenly vanished, I would imagine it would jump in tag value as well. Not as much as the Sontec, though, considering that the "g" has been in production, steadily, and reliably, for the same duration that the Sontec has had its many issues.
From what I've read, and this is from research and not my hands on, that the first battle with a good Sontec example, of the favored model, is finding two in nearly the same condition. The second is whether the preference is in the aligned, misaligned, or otherwise upgraded or serviced qualities. One person prefers the high end 2% more than a "g", where another finds it grainer or harsher, where a third comparison shows one Sontec much steeper than another, and yet a different source much, much smoother, almost too soft, thus it must be a differernt comparison than the one having the 'sweeter' highs. I think that the right, original, serviced, Sontec, would be an awesome addition.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RuudUnit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:08 am

Thank you so much for the thorough, thoughtful, and informative reply!

You can probably tell (from the other topic I started) that I'm looking at a nice mastering EQ to add to my arsenal. I'm definitely looking at the GEQ, but had also heard wonderful things about the Sontec.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the GEQ :)
RuudUnit
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Metalblast » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm

only Angeltone run with Sontec curves.
Hopefully Nebula soon...

Peter
Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tumburu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm

I don't think it's because of the rarity. MEs know better than that. M****y and A*I are two examples of loved eqs by many and not because you can't find them.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries