Login

VTM-M2

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

VTM-M2

Postby musicgreator » Thu May 17, 2012 11:17 am

I've been demoing the VTM-M2 and didn't like it's aliasing. Does anyone know how to get rid of that aliasing on PC in 44.1? I've tried some oversamplers without success.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: VTM-M2

Postby lipa » Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm

well..I don't have any solution.. but could You please elaborate a little how this aliasing is bothering You? when and how You hear it most damaging audio?? I still don't know how bad aliasing sounds I guess :?
lipa

Postby musicgreator » Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 pm

At first i got that early 90s kinda digital vibe and was dissatisfied. Then i tried it with a sine wave and heard that aliasing very loud! Try it for your selfe. It's just something i don't want in a tape sound.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 am

Hi there,

Thanks for trying the VTM-M2!

This is not an issue of aliasing.
The VTM-M2 is created to intentionally add analog harmonic distortion. It will not go away with oversampling because it is not a result of aliasing distortion and it is not supposed to go away.

Bad aliasing, as mentioned, sounds very different from intentional, well-applied harmonic distortion. It is typically the result of inter-sample issues caused by timing changes, and improper filtering of overlapping frequencies, none of which occur in the VTM-M2.

If you prefer a cleaner tape sound, you will probably prefer the sound of the VTM-M2 in low mode with reduced input increased output, where it remains true to analog tape compression, limiting, and non-linear saturating harmonic distortion at lower levels, but with even more subtle reaction.

I hope this helps.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby musicgreator » Fri May 18, 2012 11:33 am

I see! I was so convinced it was aliasing because due to its algo based technology and because it needs to be combined with R2R and Tape Booster i believed it wouldn't generate harmonic distortion. Also people where telling me, in 96kHz there wouldn't be that "aliasing". Isn't VTM-M2 a full tape emulation? Why does it have to be combined with R2R or other tape programs and why does it produce harmonics when Nebula is the king in doing that?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri May 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi there,
The VTM-M2 has a complex, accurate harmonic system that I developed, based on the actual sound of different tape machines.

If you are interested in the complete story, please check it out here:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... vtmpc.html

and here:

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... 2-faq.html

If you want a basic summary:

Yes I absolutely, 110% believe in the VVKT Neb technology. What it does is better than any other technology, and is based upon the actual detailed sound of the machine reproduced. What it does not do, can be enhanced.

R2R provides the natural dynamic changes (volume), spectral changes (frequency), and harmonic changes (non-linear distortion) for specific individual tape machines, with IPS speeds and tape media and levels of gain staging.

TapeBooster+ uses the high quality VVKT process to add stepped gain to your R2R machines. Where R2R is very accurate, TB+ allows additional instances of NebPro to increase the volume beyond what a single instance can accomplish on its own, allowing the specific R2R machines to be driven harder while still very precise to the origional machine's character.

VTM-M2 is not a required third stage, but it is designed to very accurately supply complex saturating limiting and compression. It goes from a very subtle level to far beyond the level of effect that happens in Nebula. Tape tends to have a very unique compression and limiting characteristic that is hard to replicate under any process, but specifically in Neb, the fast comp/limiting aspect does not exist. Rather, the natural harmonics and frequencies and steps of low-to-mid harmonics are done very precisely in Neb. Higher gain, drive, saturation, compressing, and fast limiting, are added to the process from the VTM-M2. If you use all 3 stages, you have specific machines, the ease of adding natural saturation boost to these machines, and the capability to drive and compress these machines subtle or extremely hard, all within specific parameters of real machines.

If any of the 3 stages appeal to a user's specific interest, they can use that on its own with the confidence that it is supplying the tape character desired. Meaning, if you only want the R2R machines and don't want to drive them hard, you would be pleased with R2R. If you only want the saturation effect that also makes up a large part of the natural tape compression sound inside Neb, then you may be pleased with TB+ alone. If you want a saturating tape compressor/limiter that is high-end enough to use in your mastering chain, or can drive hard enough to use on tracks, and only want the real, yet general, sound of tape compression/saturation without the sound of specific machines to tailor, then you may be pleased using only VTM-M2. For all flexibility, specificity, and for absolute control of anything/everything tape-based, all 3 stages are created with painstaking detail to work hand-in-hand.

musicgreator wrote:I see! I was so convinced it was aliasing because due to its algo based technology and because it needs to be combined with R2R and Tape Booster i believed it wouldn't generate harmonic distortion. Also people where telling me, in 96kHz there wouldn't be that "aliasing". Isn't VTM-M2 a full tape emulation? Why does it have to be combined with R2R or other tape programs and why does it produce harmonics when Nebula is the king in doing that?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby musicgreator » Fri May 18, 2012 2:09 pm

thank you very much! It always amazes me, how much time you take for your customer!
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat May 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi musicgreator,
You are very welcome!
Thank you for such kind words!
musicgreator wrote:thank you very much! It always amazes me, how much time you take for your customer!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries