Login

Sell libraries i dont use

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Sell libraries i dont use

Postby mertayy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:43 pm

cps418 wrote:And that last post shuts me up...Much respect

I don't think there is a word in English called "estafurullah" that can be translated from Turkish; it sort of means -I respect your answer without acting like a dushe bag :lol:

Actually, Alexb sold his librarys with .ser protection for a while sometime ago but he got lots of negative comments here and he stopped that protection.
mertayy

Postby cps418 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:27 am

Mertayy your pulling the big guns now. I think you win this one. Let the developers, and the nebula community decide.(As long as it protects the family).
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby fuseburn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 am

I think we should absolutely be able to sell libraries/transfer ownership. As someone already mentioned, you can already invest a fair amount of money in nebula libraries, and the level where it still feels like "supporting the little guys' effort to create something great" is quickly surpassed once you bought several libraries.

Best example would be Stillwell Audio/Schwa. They're selling plugins (incredibly good ones btw.) for around the price of a nebula library, protection is serial based, the plugin never stops working, only nag screen (= endless demo). If you want to resell, you pay a small fee to transfer ownership to a new owner. No mechanism to prevent the former owner from continuing usage of the plugin, but he didn't have to buy it in order to fully demo it in the first place.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:59 am

First and foremost, I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

I hope that this will clear up any confusion.

CDSoundMaster "Program/Library" Software License Agreement

"Program/Library" is provided as Commercial Software.
You are not authorized to copy, disseminate, distribute
this software or any part thereof.
"Program/Library" may not be re-distributed for any use except if agreed with owners.

When a commercial program library for Nebula is created, detailed information is provided, including details for each program and what it does, visual graphs of frequency and/or harmonic content, continued support for questions, audio samples, html and pdf manuals, sometimes tutorials and videos, and usually a free version of the program/library to test before purchasing. In addition, other programs are provided free of charge.

In return, the customer agrees to a fair and reasonable license agreement when purchasing a program/library. Opportunity has been given to read about every program, ask questions, hear it in use, ask questions about which one is best to buy, receive a discount, and test a free version of the program.

If, at some point, a customer no longer wishes to use a program, this does not make it acceptable for the program/library to be re-sold or re-distributed, as it violates the terms of the agreement that was agreed to when installing.

There are very few guidelines required of customers. This is a community, and the development of free programs and sharing of helpful/useful information is the spirit in which everything has been done here. Commercial programs are an avenue for generating a small budget to secure rare equipment investments and to advertise Nebula as a competitive host plug-in. Re-selling another individual's creation is a violation of the original purchase and only harms the unique trust and open format of this community that we enjoy. Regardless of what protection schemes, transfer licenses, or re-distribution that any other developer's may use, the only thing that will allow the benefits that are so unique to the Nebula community is trust, fairness, and excellence.

So, I humbly ask that you honor the work that has gone into what is provided. Every purchase is greatly appreciated and goes to further develop future work.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby tumburu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:19 am

A Happy New and Good Year to you too!

I simply consider that some libraries didn't pass the test of time for me (and they were in the expensive range, I won't name them here). It costs you nothing as a developer to simply change an id in your user base and maybe even gain an additional 5$ per library for this transfer.

Ultimately, I think that this kind of thinking cuts the possibility of having more profit.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am

Happy New Year Michael (CDSM),

I totally get your point. I think we (the buyers of programs) don't speak about re-selling or re-distributing the products. Instead just talking of a license transfer. If the dev's would all include a "register here", "log into your account" and "your (always accessable) downloads" sections (with all data inside the account), everything would be "managed" by the developer (the library would have to be downloaded by the new buyer - No re-distribution by seller). In case of a transfer, the seller would contact the dev, who then could transfer the old email/user to a new one. As someone said, a 5$ (or higher for more expensive libraries) transfer fee would still be "something" for the dev.

Now, that the topic has been brought up, I imagine that it could influence the next buy for some of us... (Think more than twice before buying)

In no way I'm trying to convince, just bring up the point of view by a customer 8-)

last thing: about "you could sell but still keep the product"..well, yes...that's with EVERY software product out there. Everything I ever bought and then sold was kindly asked to be removed from my computer by the developer and guess what: I removed them each time (maybe a few days/weeks later...after finishing projects which included the plugin).

cheers
M

Postby fredrikberg » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:21 pm

I will also greet you all with a happy new year.

My intention with my first post wasn´t to start a "war" about library licensing. I just wanted to know if I could sell some of my licenses to someone else. Thats it.

Sorry if I offended someone.

Still, I wonder if it wouldn´t be healthy for the forthcoming future of Nebula if this kind of license transfering would be possible. It seems more pro in a way.

If a library i superb no one would sell it, and if many people want to sell than it´s a sign of it not being very usable to alot of people. That would make it easier for customers to get a grasp of what is really working in the long run. I think that is a healthier market from a customers view.

Regards

Fredrik Berg
fredrikberg
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cps418 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm

fredrikberg- I don't think you started a war. You just started a post that everyone was thinking, but would not speak on. No one is holding a gun to anybodies head, if we want to sell, we would sell, but I state once again It's the ethics of the matter. I think some how we were looking for validation from the community.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby piperboy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:30 pm

License transfer, in my opinion, would be a requirement for me to buy a program IF we were talking about a multi thousand dollar program- like one for example that rhymes with shaves. They worked on a project, got it to where they were happy with it, and then released it for consumption.

It has been devoured by pirates with the rationale "the greedy corporations make it unavailable to the common man- so screw the system... we are the Audio Robinhoods."

Only a very few Nebula programs that I know of cost any price that would even be worth reselling because they are so ridiculously cheap.The one that costs the most also happens to be one of the Holy Grails that brings people to Nebula in the first place. Another plugin maker who requires also a purchase of their hardware card makes a tape emulation. Is it good yes. Is it equal to the aforementioned Neb program- close but no cigar.

How do they compare pricewise? The cost of their card plus their software vs Nebpro and the Holy Grail. Price difference= huge. Other Neb programs are so much cheaper than products by other software developers that frankly it's pretty amazing.

Here's my point- I will admit that there are a couple of programs that after I bought them, I rarely if ever use them. They price at which they were bought was so low that if I bought them from the guys with huge marketing budgets they would be no brainer deals. THAT is the difference to me. What does it cost me to have the hands down best sound ITB. Every program ever created for Neb and the 3 party developers can be attained for less than the price of many times 1 algorithmic plugin...

I can see and respect the viewpoint of some of those vocal here, but I ask you... the undeniable quality + the super low price of even the most expensive 3rd party programs is there a better deal than the one we already get?

Happy New Year to All!!!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby cps418 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:45 pm

This must be the longest, non musical post I've read. (Duh.. how can we be more like waves.) :lol:
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries