Login

Sell libraries i dont use

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Sell libraries i dont use

Postby mertayy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:43 pm

I find it silly to start thinking about "what if the company dies"...People buy cars without thinking such.

Also we should stay in topic, its about library's not Nebula.

I think if used library's can be sold, it would sparkle library developers sales.

Think if you could exchange console emulation with a buddy in this forum for a small fee :!: , nothing changes for library developer besides earning some money :) This can also be considered as something "new" for the plug-in market and very positive opinions can e created for non-nebula users.
mertayy

Postby fredrikberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Ok, i should have used the word "some" instead of "couple". My english isn´t that good.

Anyway, my intention is not to flame Nebula, as I use it and like what I hear. Im just curious about the whole license situation.

If I even loose my backups of some of my libraries, is it ok to copy from someone else who owns it?

/Fredrik Berg
fredrikberg
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:24 pm

This is a tricky one...I actually think I once asked CDSoundmaster if I could sell one of his libraries if it didnt work out and I 'think' he said yes of course...
I asked referring to the 2 most expensive libraries - R2R and Vintage Tubes....these are in a different price bracket to the rest and when it gets to a certain price I like to feel like I can not make a total loss if the product doesnt work out for me...

That said - I think given the cost of the majority of libraries is so low it seems unfair to the developers to sell second hand and deprive them of a sale...I would like to buy Miro MWQ - but at what cost - €12 instead of €20? Its only €8 difference - I may as well pay AlexB that €20 - he deserves it I think...

EDIT: Hold on - I have thought about it some more...

Now there are so many consoles and EQs available. Honestly Im put off trying them as I dont really want to become a collector of 6 different consoles-I would rather have 2-3 that I really liked and used...but you kind of have to try them in order to see if you like them....

This is an interesting topic...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby cps418 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree with the try before buy, and that's why they make demos. I think people are being somewhat about this situation to now sell after they're "buyers remorse shopping spree". By that I mean seeing a new preset and it becomes a must have "just because". P.S. And when I speak of the demise of nebula based the programmers I am on topic. What good is nebula without the great presets.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby fredrikberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:36 pm

This is how I would like it to be.

I buy Nebula Pro and creates an account.

In "My Downloads" there are the included libraries.

Now I buy R2R for CDSoundmasters homepage. He sends an activation code to Acustica and suddenly the R2R pops up in "My Downloads".

If I want to sell R2R later on I would like to have a feature where I register the new buyers accountname and then my R2R dissapears from my "My Downloads" and enters his.

There could be a transfer fee.

I see Nebuala as a virtual studio with access to all this great gear, but after a while it would be nice to streamline the virual studio to the "hardware" that fits you the best.

You could compare Nebula to TC Powercore where it´s possible to buy and sell the plugins running on it.

yeah I know there´s the possibility to sell and then keep it on your harddrive, but in the long run with updates and so on, I think that what would reside in "My Downloads" would be what the user would use.

I mean if two people want to copy each others libraries, they would do it anyway, regardless of the possibility to sell it secondhand.

/Fredrik Berg
fredrikberg
User Level III
User Level III

Postby mertayy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Then I guess best is swapping option from same library developer.

So then it would be in library developers control, they can also provide money transfer for the users if 1 library is more expensive then other (or user can buy one of his librarys with that money). Question is if they are up to providing this service 8-)
mertayy

Postby cps418 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 pm

And all the swapping sounds good, but who stops the customers from reselling and reselling the presets once they exist on they're hard drive. Unless there's a way for the developers to scan the hard drives of the costumers to make sure the presets are erased.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mertayy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 pm

cps418 wrote:And all the swapping sounds good, but who stops the customers from reselling and reselling the presets once they exist on they're hard drive. Unless there's a way for the developers to scan the hard drives of the costumers to make sure the presets are erased.

Thats why it should be in hands of library developers, to keep track who owns what and they cannot sell/exchange without the library developer involved.

I'm aware of some "thoughts" but if such unwanted things happened, it would already happen.
mertayy

Postby cps418 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:41 pm

And that last post shuts me up...Much respect
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Sure, the developer should be involved. The seller has to "transfer" the license to a new user and thus is no more registered "owner" of the particular product. That way nobody would be able to legally re-sell his product.

The coolest way of transfering/selling a plugin is (IMO) the way it's done with Audio Damage plugins. Simple, cool..I love it.

If there should/could be a transfer fee, is a decision only the dev's can/could would have to make.

Anyway...I can really understand, if the dev's don't accept a resale of their programs. A little transfer fee would be totally fair to me.

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries