Login

Sell libraries i dont use

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Sell libraries i dont use

Postby fredrikberg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Is it possible to sell libraries that´s not in use?

Regards

Fredrik Berg
fredrikberg
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Sell libraries i dont use

Postby cps418 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 am

It would be unethical to do so, since there is no way to a sure that you will delete the files once sold. And considering the price versus the quality of the effects, it would be more respectful to the nebula community to just suffer the petty cash loss. That way all these third party preset developers don't get frustrated and decide to give up. "$20.00" PLEASE!!
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby tumburu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 am

It's not unethical. Selling a software that has a serial number is the same thing. You could always use that software as long as you have the serial.

The idea behind this is that you won't be able to have support, updates from the developer, as you're not a registered user anymore. This is the convention and it was done hundreds if not thousands of times on the sh virtual market.

I will surely sell almost all the cdmaster libraries I have except the pultec. I don't use them anymore, and that's the main idea behind selling something. It is logical that I don't intend to use them after selling them if I don't need them anymore.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cps418 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:39 am

But the nebula software is a little bit more open than just any other software (waves, urs.) They work with stronger protection schemes than nebula, so just having a ser.# does not grant you full access... The title of the post "sell libraries I don't use". If he has to ask than it's safe to assume he knows there is something unethical about selling noncopy protected nebula software.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 pm

happy new year!

This topic is interesting indeed. There's a few libraries I don't use at ALL (e.g. BMQ and MWQ). I often thought of selling these but I've never heard or read about this in my 2 year Nebula experience.

Postby mertayy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 pm

I also have mixed feelings about this topic :geek: :lol:

Being able to sell what you own is almost a human right, but on the other hand there can be possible issues about this.

I'd say this should be up to the library developers. They must keep track on which client has what library in order to make discounts etc. possible.

Maybe a fair limit yearly with a very small transfer fee would be fair for them. Used software always is sold for less value but IMHO one should be able to get back atleast half half of what he paid (since we're going to buy other librarys with that money anyway :D )
mertayy

Postby fredrikberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi!

I didn´t wanna offend someone, I´m just curious about the subject. As Nebula is growing I think there should be a strategy how to handle this.

I own Cubase 5. When next version is out, there is an upgrade price for it. I can ignore it, but sometime I have to upgrade to be able to use it on an upgraded OS, which I must have to work on a newer computer generation.

I will always have the possibility to sell my Cubase license for someone else to use it and upgrade.

How about Nebula when there is new versions. Will there be an upgrade price.

If I don´t want to upgrade and the software becomes unusable because of newer OS etc...
Can I then sell my license for someone else to upgrade.

What about my libraries then?
Is it possible to also sell them with the Nebula License.

And Its NOT about 20$. I think there much more when you summon all the libraries you have bought.

I don´t want to be greedy. I just wan´t to know whats the strategy before investing more money.

If I don´t follow the upgrade plans, my Nebula software and libraries will be useless in acouple of years. (Maybe a bit cynical).

Just some thoughts.

Regards

Fredrik Berg
fredrikberg
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Owen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I'll be a bit of a devil on this one and address parts of the topic in my own way:

Software isn't always owned (even if you think you own it)
Software doesn't last forever - or at least doesn't carry the longevity of things like cold hard currency (the odd ten cent piece!)
Software companies don't last forever
Many companies charge for licence transfer - some to pretty well stop you from doing so
No one forces you to upgrade
Infinite support for software is a delusion
Small software companies carry limited liability for a reason

As a customer:

Not everything you buy will be used as much as you might think - I have bought things like mp3 players and used them till they die, but I have working Walkmans still!

I need to consider what I buy and evaluate based on my expectations whether I can get value from products

Sometimes you lose, after buying the 'wrong' product (just try not to pay too much upfront, too often I guess!)

Expect reasonable terms & conditions - sometimes people exceed these without me doing anything (they take risk willingly). I am still responsible for understanding the product lifecycle, but may take advantage of offers/discounts etc. Software is both a risk and opportunity based purchase :)

For products not sold by AA it's upto the owners of the "intellectual property" to make some judgement on what they might want to do. And please, don't put them on trial in this thread. Conversely it's not to say they might not allow for certain actions to occur, but I could not speak on their behalf. Often things come down to practicality, as well as honesty.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby MOjO_FET » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:26 pm

A license transfer would be necessary for the developer to control who has bought and/or sold his product second hand!

Michael
MOjO_FET
User Level V
User Level V

Postby cps418 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:29 pm

(Maybe a bit cynical).. yes i would say so since you focused strongly on 2 year potential os changes, and or nebula system changes. Bottom line, the money you have spent I assume was not one shot, but in hindsight the $200 must speak loud, but don't tell me it speaks louder than "WAVES". Please don't test the water and bring about the end of a great thing.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries