Login

Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Who is interested in rooms?????

Postby jkervin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Henry Olonga wrote:I'm back.

;)

This one is for the guys who work with acoustic instruments. This may surprise you but the great Bricasti M7 - nice though a real pain to sample; but it still doesn't satisfy me - real rooms is where it's at!!!!! I have a working relationship with some schools and have decided that my next series of samplings will be space related. Big and small, near and far - a few millimetres from the mics through to deep, deep stuff. Anyone up for that? Of course we are talking high bandwidth recording here - as is my custom. Good mics, preamps, great convertors. Not so much for electronic guys.

I have booked five days up North soon and will be taking on the big Orchestral sample library manufacturers to try to get their stuff into nice rooms. Think Air Lyndhurst studios and their Spitfire series of releases. They often have a close medium and distant sampling of their stuff. Makes for a consistant sounding mix and their stuff is amazing.

But VSL, LASS and others go for a rather more dry approach. Now - the issue - A lot of composers go for a ton of different sources of libraries. Percussion, woodwinds, strings etc may all come from many different brands and be recorded in different rooms.

What I want to do is provide audiophile grade room models to place everything in similar sounding room. I don't mean the usual impulse responses you get from other maufacturers but the purest models with fine high resolution tails that fade into blackness and ambience that can unobtrusively add the sense of dimension without sounding harsh or grainy. I mean most acoustic mixes are mainly air moving in a room. But who has thougth to sample the movement of molecules in a room. Fancy that - dedicating a whole working week to sampling the air ............... :lol: . It's gonna be good!!!

NICE!!! Can't wait for this release!!! VERY cool!
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mtalavera » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Henry Olonga wrote:I'm back.

;)

This one is for the guys who work with acoustic instruments. This may surprise you but the great Bricasti M7 - nice though a real pain to sample; but it still doesn't satisfy me - real rooms is where it's at!!!!! I have a working relationship with some schools and have decided that my next series of samplings will be space related. Big and small, near and far - a few millimetres from the mics through to deep, deep stuff. Anyone up for that? Of course we are talking high bandwidth recording here - as is my custom. Good mics, preamps, great convertors. Not so much for electronic guys.

I have booked five days up North soon and will be taking on the big Orchestral sample library manufacturers to try to get their stuff into nice rooms. Think Air Lyndhurst studios and their Spitfire series of releases. They often have a close medium and distant sampling of their stuff. Makes for a consistant sounding mix and their stuff is amazing.

But VSL, LASS and others go for a rather more dry approach. Now - the issue - A lot of composers go for a ton of different sources of libraries. Percussion, woodwinds, strings etc may all come from many different brands and be recorded in different rooms.

What I want to do is provide audiophile grade room models to place everything in similar sounding room. I don't mean the usual impulse responses you get from other maufacturers but the purest models with fine high resolution tails that fade into blackness and ambience that can unobtrusively add the sense of dimension without sounding harsh or grainy. I mean most acoustic mixes are mainly air moving in a room. But who has thougth to sample the movement of molecules in a room. Fancy that - dedicating a whole working week to sampling the air ............... :lol: . It's gonna be good!!!

Very glad to have you back Henry. I admit I have never put much thought into room modeling but your descriptions have gotten me excited! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
mtalavera

Postby Hannes_F » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Henry Olonga wrote:real rooms is where it's at!!!!! I have a working relationship with some schools and have decided that my next series of samplings will be space related.

That is great to hear, Henry. I've always felt and said that sampling rooms with Nebula would make much sense. Do you know that there has been a company called RoomHunters?

If you should need somebody for testing, I am working with connected questions (sample libraries and acoustical recordings for sample users) since a decade and am ready to help.

I am not into money or NDA versions of anything, just trying to give some expertise where it perhaps can lead to a better product.

BTW I once mailed to you in order to offer some help for your album but never heard back :-)
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Hannes,
Please receive my apologies. I did not ignore you. It just got buried underneath messages. I will pm you and perhaps we can talk behind the scenes about strings as they would add so much value to my album at the moment.

Yes I know roomhunters. I bought their room when it came out. Very cool. I think they are still around thought they haven't released in a while.

Anyway - as far as sampling rooms goes - I am okay to hear any suggestions on here so let me know what would make your job easier. ;) There has to be a more affordable and workable solution than VSL MIR that needs another computer to run and costs a small fortune. I will offer the impulse responses as well for those with a lowly computer. Orchestral composition is tough on resources as it is and Nebula's latency can cause midi timing dropouts so best to cover weak computers - IRs for composing and Nebula for bounce down?

I will use two speakers to agitate the air, with a transducer to get into the subs region - My speakers only go down to 40 hz. Transducer goes down to 20 hz.
Probably spread them wide and close depending on the config. So many options!!!!! 192 khz sampling as usual - perhaps higher if I can get it stable.

Here is a rough possible schedule.
Main Music Hall - Music rooms - Mixing room - School Chapel - School Hall.

The Main Music hall I will sample in an Orchestral configuration from three main room positions.

Conductor position - Medium position sweet spot - distant position sweet spot. All left to right covering the normal orchestral positions - all strings, percussion, winds , piano, harp etc. Probably a European config for stereo balance. But as the names are arbitrary it will be the same methodology to sample just different positions - in other words you could put your cellos in the centre position for all I care or piano on the left.

:lol:

TIGHT Samplings as well - 0.25m, 0.5m 1m, 2m, 3m - For jazz stuff including a drum kit overhead emulation.

Binaural - Sweet spot of room - left to right. Maybe three positions as well.

Another Piano ambience model - a Steinway. :D

AIR - Open Mics Silence 10 minutes. Apparently a few guys find this useful.

Why do we have to spend £ 3000 a day in an expensive room mainly for the sonics if we can make highly accurate room models available for perhaps a tenner. :cry:

Soooooooo. Any suggestions hit me UP!!!!!!!!
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Re: Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Postby mathias » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm

great to hear you are on to real rooms, henry!

i was always interested in real rooms when sampling with nat, but time is not there at the moment for me, to go deeper into that.

looking forward to your experiments!
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Martinez » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

It's funny you guys should be talking about this.
I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have spaces that weren't reverbs necessarily but rather dry spaces that could just add air to something like a virtual instrument.

Sometimes you or someone else records something to close or on the wrong angle, and you wish you could re-record it from a different angle or darker. That would be a very cool idea.

Sometimes you don't want a reverb, you just want to put something in a different space.

I hope all that make sense. I've just rolled out of bed LOL!
Martinez

Postby ianc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 am

It's what I've been telling my friends, why would you want emulations of emulations when you can get the real thing, so your new direction interests me.
Some rooms that you can add to a master to just give it a little lift and put it all in the same space is what I'm missing at the moment, they'd be very short responses if my experiments with reverbs in this area are anything to go by
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby pleplo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 am

I'M in Henry! awesome stuff. I use room hunter (they gave it for free so nice of them). its nice but its only one room and the sound sometime fit sometime not. and I'm one of those that use lots of sample libs and as a small home studio I record in bad spaces too close. I will buy for sure :)

good luck with the awesome project
cheers
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ericzang » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 am

Great! Looking fwd to this!
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Hannes_F » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:16 am

Henry,

seeing your latest post ... we can discuss this per mail or skype. There are many aspects.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries