Login

Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Postby ianc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 am

hi Henry
I recommended my studio buddy to look at your site yesterday and he went mad, we must have everything covered now to not be lacking in a something to do a job.
More stuff like the rlandvocoder and the aphex would be cool.
If you ever get access to class A multiprocessors I love to get my hands on some, as a bad example of something that you shouldn't create but that could do the same kind of job as a Behringer ultramizer, that would really suit my sonic wants for the time being.
keep up your good work
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Martinez » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:23 am

I also went on a bit of a spending spree at Nebula presets yesterday.

More Mics Henry please!
Martinez

Postby emilieitor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Henry, I´m waiting very impatient your mics (:

Like always, I´m going to supplicate mojo libraries of S*L equalizer, S*L compressor and mojo version of both together eq + comp because it´s incredible that I don´t have these libraries after 2 years using Nebula. And a mojo version of Xlogic S*L Buss Compressor is other good idea for use with Snap Compressor of AITB and for rendering chains.
emilieitor
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey guys thanks for your patience. I am in the middle of my album at the moment. Fun times as I am using my own libraries on an important project of my own for the first time. Just discovered something as far as workflow goes.

I have always been unhappy with bouncing down ITB. It never sounded right to me - different from the realtime playback sound. Inferior. I think I have discovered why. It is so subtle but the difference has put a smile on my face.

You see I have chosen to stay in Sonar and mix my pop album at 44.1 kHz ( classical 96 kHz ). I have always used the 64 bit engine but bounced down to 32 bit files. When I changed to bouncing down to 64 bit files everything just felt and sounded right and the same as when I pressed play - must be some low level issue with changing bit depth. In fact it is the single best thing I have done for my audio - in addition to using Nebula of course. It seems that it doesn't matter what the orginal bit depth of my audio was, if I bounce it down through Nebula at 64 bit - it sounds incredible. Overkill for some but man I don't know why I didn't consider this before. I am using my native 44.1 kHz presets for the record. I am really pleased with the results - so scrath everything I have ever said about workflow and if you have the HDD space, you won't be disappointed if you mix using a 64 bit engine with 64 bit files to ensure that the math is clean throughout. Surprise, surprise - I am actually using the 32 bit version of Sonar but it allows 64 bit math. Just my humble subjective opinion. :D

Those new mics will come at some point but not too soon. I am having too much fun....and I am going to make videos as well so that will push stuff back. Perhaps I will release piece meal. See ya soon :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Henry Olonga wrote:When I changed to bouncing down to 64 bit files everything just felt and sounded right and the same as when I pressed play - must be some low level issue with changing bit depth. In fact it is the single best thing I have done for my audio - in addition to using Nebula of course.

So, is this bouncing down to WAV64 files instead of WAV's?
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm

thanks, henry. i'm working with sonar 32-bit as well. i will give this tip a try. good luck with your album! :)
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 pm

botus99 wrote:
Henry Olonga wrote:When I changed to bouncing down to 64 bit files everything just felt and sounded right and the same as when I pressed play - must be some low level issue with changing bit depth. In fact it is the single best thing I have done for my audio - in addition to using Nebula of course.

So, is this bouncing down to WAV64 files instead of WAV's?

Hey Botus,
Not at all. 64 bit floating point files - WAV64 is for files longer than the 4 gb wav limit can contain I believe. I will never use that unless I am mixing an hours long concert in 192 kHz I suppose - Very unlikely. To explain - Basically Sonar has options for bit depth ( I suppose all DAWS do ) -

Mixing bit depth - this has always been 64 bit for me.
Record bit depth
Render bit depth
Import bit depth

In the past I have had Record at 24 bit, Render at 32 bit and import at 32 bit. Our logic says ( and I am sure this will be debated on forums ad nauseam )that there is no benefit to using files with a higher bit depth than what your soundcard can capture. Having worked with those settings for years I had to get a faster workflow than realtime bounces and also things never sat well in the mix for me. Remember I have exacting standards and little things annoy me. Not a perfectionist but not far off. I remember that when I made the IRs for the 550A pack there was a certain realism to the 64 bit 192 khz files vs the 32 bit 192 khz ones. I thought the difference should not be audible but it was. And it sounded much nicer. So I said what the heck to myself and set them all to 64 bit. You won't believe the difference it's made. Whereas I always felt I was fighting the in the box tone compared to hardware, as soon as I changed those settings my whole mixing experience changed. Man the sound just leaps out with all the goodness that Nebula is known for. I am no math guru but I think the 32 bit conversion to 64 bit then bounced down to 32 bit affects the sound somehow. Hard to quantify but I can hear it. By going 64 bit all the way - the sound is identical. I suppose if we were to use realtime sample rate conversion we would experience the same thing. Like I said, I could have saved years of subtle annoyance at the difference between real-time playback and faster than realtime bounce downs ( which always seemed to sound slightly different ). It is now exactly the same!!! Which makes perfect sense actually. Now- I still mix on a track by track basis but now it is so much quicker and I can use chains without worry of CPU usage. For a home studio owner, novice producer I feel I have found something that just makes things a little easier and doesn't cost the earth.
;) Peace
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:39 pm

SWANG wrote:thanks, henry. i'm working with sonar 32-bit as well. i will give this tip a try. good luck with your album! :)

Cheers Swang,
If HDD space isn't an issue, give it a shot.
:D. I keep shaking my head at why I never did this before. Anyway , give me a month or two and I will be back on the forums in stronger force. Problem is - I have just been sent my letter about jury service so I may be out of action from next month :( .
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 pm

wow this is all very interesting... have to check it out!
lipa

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 pm

In the past I have had Record at 24 bit, Render at 32 bit and import at 32 bit. (...) Having worked with those settings for years I had to get a faster workflow than realtime bounces and also things never sat well in the mix for me. (...)I remember that when I made the IRs for the 550A pack there was a certain realism to the 64 bit 192 khz files vs the 32 bit 192 khz ones. I thought the difference should not be audible but it was. And it sounded much nicer. So I said what the heck to myself and set them all to 64 bit. You won't believe the difference it's made. Whereas I always felt I was fighting the in the box tone compared to hardware, as soon as I changed those settings my whole mixing experience changed. Man the sound just leaps out with all the goodness that Nebula is known for. I am no math guru but I think the 32 bit conversion to 64 bit then bounced down to 32 bit affects the sound somehow. Hard to quantify but I can hear it. By going 64 bit all the way - the sound is identical.

This is very interesting! Just to check if I get this:

Your workflow is:
- record 24 bit
- set up your Nebula chain and render/print this to 64 bit wav
- then import this with 32 bit float setting

Is that correct?

@ Zabukowski: will this be possible to do in NebulaMan, if not, could it be put on a wish list for the upcoming version of NebulaMan 2.0?

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries