Login

Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Postby lipa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks for that response too.ill be checking those two new buzzards today. I'll try to make some clips comparing the three modes but I can't promise I'll upload them today..very busy times.. :roll:
lipa

Postby lipa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm

I checked those buzzarda and they are very different from another :)
I like p2 the most. Punchy as hell :shock:
T is also very nice but softer than p2 . Btw p1 is the most transient taming ...somethin like that :mrgreen:
lipa

Postby richie43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am

I started to write a review of sorts for one of Henry's recent releases, and then realized a few things;
1)There are so many so often and I can't write about ALL of them separately.
2)They are ALL so good, which is more worthy od a review??

So I decided that I COULD review all of them, but at once. Here it is, short and sweet.
I have all of Henry's libraries, except for a few of the tape sim libraries. I do have some of the Tape sim presets, just not all of them. But I do have everything else (a bit embarrassed too, I am not made of money but with his quality and prices, I can't not get them...lol). And I was asked by Henry to be sure to mention that I have been beta testing the last few, so I am not completely impartial (I love his stuff, that's why I asked him if I could help out!). So with all of that darn honesty on the table, my thought s and recommendations are that these libraries (yes, all of them) sound amazing, are a stupidly great value, and are so useful that it it's ridiculous. If you primarily know all digital audio, you will be amazed at how great your audio can sound and not cost much money. If you are like me and are partly over-joyed about being involved in digital audio at this specific time in audio technology history, you will be as amazed at the sound and also astonished at how "analog-y" and "organic" your ITB mixes can be. I don't like to use those cheesy analogies, but it's true this time.
So for the pennies Henry asks for his work (and it going to charity nonetheless!!), buy these presets and get ready to fall in love with sound all over again.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby wagz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:01 am

richie43, what are your favorite libraries from Henry? I've been eyeballing these for a while, but I don't know what the presets do and I don't understand whether or not these pieces of hardware were sampled at 96khz, or converted to 96khz from 192khz files. I'm new to Nebula, so I wonder how that affects the sound.

Those GML bass clips were great. They really made me wanna buy the program. They showed me exactly what that program can do. Are there also clips of the A*I channel strip programs somewhere? I'm trying to decide between the GML and the A*I.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 am

wagz wrote:richie43, what are your favorite libraries from Henry? I've been eyeballing these for a while, but I don't know what the presets do and I don't understand whether or not these pieces of hardware were sampled at 96khz, or converted to 96khz from 192khz files. I'm new to Nebula, so I wonder how that affects the sound.

Those GML bass clips were great. They really made me wanna buy the program. They showed me exactly what that program can do. Are there also clips of the A*I channel strip programs somewhere? I'm trying to decide between the GML and the A*I.

I am not saying this to promote Henry or to be evasive, but my favorite libraries from Henry are all of them. For real. And they are really, really inexpensive, so get a few and you decide what works best for you. But even a library that is not my favorite will get more use than any algorithmic plugin in my arsenal. For real again.
I may be able to post some A*I samples soon. But you can't go wrong. If money is super tight for you, just pick one and buy it, it will be a valuable asset for your audio no matter what it is. And when you have a few more pennies (they don't cost much more than that) get another one!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am

i too couldn't decide which programs to buy first.. Then I got all of them haha..i sure use titan eq tape libs 2 5 and lots of NV gml releases to death. All of the sum bus libs too.. I'll be posting clips comparing a little bit all three bass libs soon (on Sunday or Monday)..also with TCS bass we have (trumpets...) the first henrys compressor release.. Its just light sampling (no control over settings) but works fine ;)
lipa

Postby wagz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am

I got the TCS drum bus, G-20 master bus, and the G-20 bass chain.
Last edited by wagz on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm

wagz wrote:I got the TCS drum bus, G-20 master bus, and the G-20 mass chain.

Great choices. Enjoy them!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Tips of the year

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

A couple of tips for ya.

For wagz,

Bookmark this thread and check in every month. All new products are on sale for a month ( I may review that in the future ). So the best time to purchase is within a month of release - prices are silly. If you have missed out on the sales and want a lot of the presets just ask me for a coupon of 33 % off. You have to have £ 30 worth of stuff in your cart but after the discount you will pay around about £ 18 or so.

Now that I am beginning to accrue a pretty sizable inventory there may be some of you who may be wondering about a better workflow, especially if you want to stack lots of instances of Nebula. Well in this thread a while ago, I spent a weekend trying to figure out how to get better realtime performance with a lowly PC and a server.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=11&t=3238&start=0&hilit=realtime%20nebula&rb_v=viewtopic

My conclusions are below. So when you start to get a busy project and are running out of CPU - try the tip below. Works with or without a server by the way and should not change the mix too significantly - YMMV.

Edit one instance of the server plugin in your project and set it to Clean only in the master page ( Kernels ). set the DSP buffer to about 4000. Restart project. Experiment on your own machine and find your own middle ground for this. Some may get away with mixing with three kernels for example.YMMV based on how powerful your computer is. Mix in Realtime to your hearts content. Trust me - you probably won't run out of power any time soon if your server is as powerful as your main computer.

Once finished mixing, again edit one instance of the server plugin and any local plugins to Full Resolution in the master page of Nebula - Kernels setting is 10 ( 9th harmonic ). Restart the project and render. Figure out if you are happy - bear in mind that the render with harmonics will sound somewhat smoother, fuller and more 3D etc so when making mix buss plugin decisions bear that in mind.

Alternatively in the case of Presets that are preamp/DI or channel strips only; in other words without eq based tweaks, then you can use Reaper's excellent 'Batch File/item convertor' and render all your tracks using the batch process choosing your FX accordingly. Does it one at a time mind you but at least you will have pre-renders that give you that large console sound at full quality and the mixes will come together quicker. The TCS Full strip comes to mind for this and will give excellent results on any mix.( Don't forget to turn the kernels to full prior to rendering if you have used the other method before. he he he :D ) You can then use the other other method to then mix your final mix in real time without the need to have too many instances per channel.Then Busses and sub groups become your friend. Finally go back to full kernels at render time.

Another thing to consider is to just focus on Busses , subgroups and the master bus. What I am about to suggest is all from my own personal experience so take is as my subjective humble opinion. Perhaps the weakest link in ITB mixing many feel is the Master bus. One reason these summing boxes became very popular is because perhaps folk felt that there was a weakness in this vital stage of math that is calculated prior to hitting your D to A. Nebula provides a nice answer. So,in other words - instead of trying to have a whole mix of Nebula on every track in real time - pre-render your files with whatever falvour you want and then just focus on carving the sound of the whole mix in groups and finally the master bus. Use Preamps, DIs and bus outputs on the stems. For example if you want the N**e sound perhaps it's as simple as just adding a preamp on the Master Bus or a sub group. Then every instrument going through it will have 'that' character. In fact it is a good way to hear what a preset does - put it on a whole mix. Bypassing usually makes it very clear. Sometimes bland sounding pres may sound transparent on one instrument but you get the feel on a whole mix - a good example of this is the AV 737 preamp which is actually quite characterless on an individual instrument but on a whole mix just comes alive exciting those parts of the spectrum that an instrument doesn't reach. Use more than one if it is too subtle. That way you save CPU cycles and still get the sound you desire quickly without needing a state of the art 'Google server like' super computer.
Job done. See ya :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zkogn0fiidr3hp/nUU4IyWrF9

Hopefully these samples aren't too subtle. But in my exciting adventures with Nebula and audio, it is a very subtle thing. Glorious, but subtle. Anyway, I just uploaded some various samples using different presets from Henry Olonga. I didn't do samples of everything, of course.... To upload that much would use up all of the allotted internet bandwidth for North America, and we can't have that (I need to check my email once in a while, and check in on this forum). :lol: So the samples labelled "TCS full chain" use a TCS input, a tape sim (sorry, can't remember which one, but they are all the same), and a TCS out preset. The A*I and N**e samples are the same idea, but with their respective emulations. And the TCS pre is what it says. And for fun, I included a "no preset" sample to compare. Let me know if these are so subtle that they are not helping Henry sell his libraries, because that is the intent. I love all of his presets, if I lived in Zimbabwe I would be that annoying guy that wants to hang out with him, jam, and make music. lol.
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries