Login

Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Henry Olonga releases five new products!!!

Postby Henry Olonga » Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am

Hi guys.

Nice to hear from you and I appreciate your comments. Like I mentioned in my last post and all over my promo, my presets are for high res mixing. That is a position I have taken as my USP. Many, many, many libraries cater for the low end if not most. Some developers have discovered the benefits of going from 44.1 to 96 khz in time and I have moved the process on a tad. I recommend using my presets at 96 khz. If you work at lower rates exclusively and I appreciate many do, then the 96 khz presets I provide are your best bet. And they work just fine albeit with a little time delay on load. Patience my dear grasshopper :D . Only one of my libraries is 192 khz only.

This bears repeating. If my libraries get more support ( and it is early days ) then that will make it more of a possibility for me to provide more sample rates. It is not difficult mind you. Just time consuming. Ideally I would like to look at covering all 6 common rates in all libraries but it would mean doing this full time and thats not gonna happen right now. 44.1 support has come up a few times and I will look at it but no promises.
Too much on my plate. Gigs, new album, fatherhood ( number two on the way ) and just plain old silly busy life stuff.

Take care and hope that clarifies things a little. H
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby misterambient » Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey Henry, congrats on the release. When using the 192 kHz tape 30 in a 96 kHz project bass is almost gone. Probably due to the src.

I am also getting artifacts and strange ''compressive'' behaviour (both 96 and 192) when I bring the input close to -18 db. It's fine around -24 db.

Other than that I like it a lot: pleasing tape with lots of headroom.
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey misterambient,

Thanks for the feedback. Away from home till next week but will look at this on returning - it may just be a calibration issue. If it's a simple fix then I will simply post the update here. Which preset exactly with regards to the bass disappearing? As you say it may be src. Is it just the one preset or all the 30s?

As far as the compressive behavior goes again I will look at it but my early suspicions are that one may be reaching the limits of the range I sampled. ( Only 20 dbs as opposed to the usual 35 dbs range.)

Sorry to ask this but could you do me a favour and make a copy of a small section the file and boost it to peak at say -6 dbs, lower the output to your desired level and give me feedback. I would do it myself but I am on the road. I am working on the other volumes early next week so will definitely look at it then and make comments.

Cheers.

Henry
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am

Hey Misterambient, I can confirm that compression artifacts appear when You drive input too much, it's less noticeable on Lo and Mid bias presets.

As to bass dissapearing, I didn't notice that.. strangely I even somehow prefered 192 presets (working in 44 and 48khz), but can't really describe the difference..it's just.. a little different.
Maybe You have messed with kernel page? If You set it to TimeD algo don't forget to set more than 20ms of impulses or You'll lose some bass content. Hope that helps a little.. Anyway, go go Henry! Can't wait for another volumes!! Please release another machines first and then different tapes.. I'm waitin for that 351 and ATR :mrgreen:
lipa

Postby Henry Olonga » Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 am

Hey Lipa,
Thanks for chiming in. I am blind as I have no workstation with me.

Back home on Sunday night. I will work like a dog to get stuff up by Wednesday evening next week. that is the goal anyway - I am referring to the remaining tape sim libraries anyway. If it goes well time wise I may look at 44.1 libraries for the tape sim libraries. No promises. The other libraries will be an ongoing project.

Take care

H
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 am

Sure.. I wouldn't worry to much about that compression thing.. I guess it's nebula thing.. some kind of convolution headroom limit. It's no big deal, just lower input by 2db and it's all good! Great You're planning on 44.1 libs. It's always better to avoid src if possible.. ;)
lipa

Postby musicgreator » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

I'd like to know more about each sampled hardware, the given information is a bit lacking. For example, what analog tape sim is this?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby lipa » Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm

As You know real hardware can't be pointed by library devs, so I'll try to help.. I think ;) it is Anamod ATS-1 tape simulator.. very expensive stuff. It is regarded as the best tape sim built so far leaving fatso and portico far behind. As to simulated machines it is harder cause we can't be sure which simulation card was in which slot when sampled but the most probable order is this: 3M M79, Studer A800, Ampex 351, ATR 102. Tapes: GP9, 456. So we now in volume 1 most likely have 3M M79 with GP9 tape. Hope I'm right with this.. Anyway this is really great library! Very useful, doesn't deaden music so much as some other and doesn't overcolor tracks either.. I just love it! 8-)
lipa

Postby misterambient » Tue May 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Ok lipa thanks for your help. I didn't mess with the timed algo yet, it must be related to the src 192 -> 96 kHz (working in 96 kHz). Glad to hear it works like it should in 44.1 and 48 kHz. Maybe E and G had a chance to do some testing. The bass disappearing happens to all the 192 kHz presets here. Also it hanged a couple of times - strange because Nebula is usually stable.

Another explanation might be that my soundcard can't handle 192 kHz.

Compressive behaviour: I suppose -24 is the standard for this program instead of -18.
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 pm

misterambient wrote:Ok lipa thanks for your help. I didn't mess with the timed algo yet, it must be related to the src 192 -> 96 kHz (working in 96 kHz). Glad to hear it works like it should in 44.1 and 48 kHz. Maybe E and G had a chance to do some testing. The bass disappearing happens to all the 192 kHz presets here. Also it hanged a couple of times - strange because Nebula is usually stable.

Another explanation might be that my soundcard can't handle 192 kHz.

Compressive behaviour: I suppose -24 is the standard for this program instead of -18.

No time! Sorry! Overworking next 2 weeks...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries