Login

Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Postby Yllet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 pm

h-man wrote:Imagine it is a virtual box that behaves somehwat like hardware. Sometimes with real hardware you might need to turn the input up to get a box to react a certain way and correspondingly turn the output level down before going into the next part of the chain. Sometimes the goodness is usually in that last few dbs. :D . Experiment to taste. Not all my presets give this to you. Titan gives more than enough - too much sometimes actually. I have been surprised at how much distortion came through as I originally thought it didn't have much but in use I have been surprised. Way before the limits of the presets.

Yeah, hovering around -12 db peaks in the "green area" seems like the sweetspot (for me). Tried some different settings with the "Level" but when driven too hard it compresses the audio too much for subtle coloration, that I'm after when bouncing to tape...

So back to the stereo problem... When inserting tape 1 30ips on the mixbus the whole mix shifts to the right 9-10% i can actually hear the kick and snare get away from the center. This can't be right can it? I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my nebula? But other programs works so... maybe not.

If I pan the mixbus about 9% to the left it "feels" right, but this can't be good now can it? I wanna use the plugin in stereo too, and not mono when running on the mixbus...

Any help ? ;)
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Owen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Yllet,

Just to prove what's going on, you could do some phase analysis. Setup two sets of channels with the snare, and look at what a phase/goniometer seems to suggest is going on with and without a Nebula instance processing it. This might help us compare what's going on with how Henry is expecting the preset to behave.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Yllet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Well I feel like jerk know, but when loading the tape presets my kernel was set to mono-L, when swiching to stereo all is fine!

Sry my bad :(

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi guys, ;)

The units were sampled in stereo so that opens up the door to stereo shift issues if one is not spot on. At sampling time there are lots of changing parameters and if I am not precise ( or am forgetful ) then one track may be slightly louder than the other resulting in a stereo image shift after deconvolving. If I forget to adjust for this at editing time, then what you get is what you are describing.

So I will put my hand up and say that it is obviously an error on my part but not a deal breaker as you can set that troublesome preset or presets to work in mono as I described earlier. Please not that Nebula still works in Stereo mode but the information is only taken from the left channel and aplied to both left and right. For those who missed it - go into the kern page and make sure that above the save button that STEREO is showing . If MONO-L is showing then click it to turn the setting to stereo and then save. This means that the Nebula is actually working in mono although it seems counter intuitive. You press the button to determine the setting that is showing.[/b]
Again - the future will see an update to this as I complete the inventory and begin to fix things but no promises on time frame. It depends on a number of projects on the go. It will of course be a free update. :D
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Mplay » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Glad you're fixing this, will be appriciated. Take your time of course, I know those cricket matches take all day :D
Mplay

Postby Henry Olonga » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Almost there with the tape sim guys.

Henry Olonga releases Tape sim VOL 5 and 6 .Machine 3, TAPE 1 and 2, 192 khz ( Fifth and sixth pack of 8 ) More to come………..
Based on an analog tape sim. The last few in a series of 8 focused on getting you that authentic tape vibe so hard to get in th box.

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=henry-olonga-tape-sim-for-nebula-volume-5-192-khz

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=henry-olonga-tape-sim-for-nebula-volume-6-192-khz
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 am

Yeah!! Henry is back and kicking with new tapes! Already checking out from store :D along with some vocal presets.. I've got a question here - is the summo lib a preset for putting only one instance on master or should I use it on all tracks? have a good day to all ;)
lipa

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 am

Hey Lipa,
You can use it however you like of course. The summing mixer is used to add a touch of colour and the cohesiveness that an analog summed master gives with the usual NV transformer magic. It will be similiar in character to the NV DI except that it is perhaps perceptively brighter IMHO and it is also a stereo sampling that has the subtle width knob sampled as well.

Piano, in fact all keys should benefit. Maybe stuff like stereo backing vocals. Drums, whatever.

I guess the beauty of nebula is that you can take programs beyond their traditional purposes and order them as you wish. For the purist I guess I would suggest that you use the NV Preamps and DIs as inputs and the summo on the master bus, according to their purposes. But whats the fun in that. Whatever works
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 am

Hey H-man, a thread away from here there was suggested You could do a massive passive redo.. and You said You keep away from parametric eqs for a while.. so maybe You could look at some more summing stuff? I'd love to see the fat bustard from thermionic culture done.. ;) it's a summing box with plenty of nice distortion and a few special knobs for hi/lo shelves (i guess), attitude and drive..and some widening too if i remember. should be just enough for a decent neb library 8-) some time ago i tried to make an inception to AlexB.. he didn't confirm nothing so far ;)
lipa

Postby lipa » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 am

...it could be split onto different modules, only we need to know the order of chain.. - channel in, eq, widening, bass to mono, attitude-drive, out buss.. ;)
lipa

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries