Login

Pre/Post effects with R2R/Tapebooster?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pre/Post effects with R2R/Tapebooster?

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:08 pm

mordecainyc wrote:A question: what do you mean with Console Send and Console Return and how do you set that up? (thanks in advance)

AlexB's consoles have Send-Return programs. So, for example:

MTP mic TFK (Preamp)
VBC IM2 (Input)
VBC SNR (Send)
OTR-30-499-0 (Tape)
TapeSat44 1dB (TapeBooster+)
VBC SNR (Return)

Then, EQs, comps, effects, etc.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mordecainyc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks! I was wondering how to use Alex send programs for some time, but never looked into it. I understand from your reply they are just meant to "sandwich" effects (such as R2R).
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 pm

mordecainyc wrote:Ah, I see. Thanks! I was wondering how to use Alex send programs for some time, but never looked into it. I understand from your reply they are just meant to "sandwich" effects (such as R2R).

Yeah, that's exactly what they're there for, send/returns in consoles are points in channels and/or aux sends to go out of the console and return for fx's like reverb or even compressors, eq's, etc.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby yr » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:08 pm

The MWC manual says: "send-return insert suitable for reverb, echo and FX". Doesn't that mean that a round-trip (from/to the console) was sampled?
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby elam » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm confused too... My 1rst understanding was that they was made to put before you FX in you FX groups.Like "consolised" your verbs,delays,etc... Like: "add the console subtleties to them too".

Mercado, Ngarjuna, Enrique and others could you develop a bit or best : break down the signal flow in a real console configuration again. Thanks
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:12 pm

This is a common setup I use on every mix:

NebulaConsoleSetup.png
Common Setup
NebulaConsoleSetup.png (37.76 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

[EDIT] Track 4 (V-BGV-GRP) is a group where Tracks 2 and 3 are grouped in. Track 5 is a Reverb Bus.

I tend to change this setup accordingly to the source and the sound. Sometimes I don't use TapeBooster+ programs, sometimes I replace the Tape for other programs like Rhythminmind's VM-Tube/Military Tube, in several occasions I don't use preamp programs if I tracked everything in other studios where I was hired to mix (most of these studios have high-end preamps so I don't see a reason for this). Like I said, I change this setup a lot and I always spend a lot of time listening to the results before rendering each track... all this time I spend doing this is saved time using less EQs, Filters, etc. Once I get the sound right it is right to the end, I rarely go back to the original recordings once I've rendered my tracks.

In the pic above you can see there are several inserts named "Pre-Gain" and "Post-Gains". These are 64-bits signal path JS effects (which you can use in REAPER), to control what's coming in/out of the chain: Gain-Staging. These effects are always 'linked' so I can increase/decrease the signal that's coming in (Pre-Gain) and at the same time decrease/increase: compensate (Post-Gain) what's coming out. I link these instances using a REAPER feature called 'Parameter Modulation'. Please notice there are 1 Pre-Gain and 1 Post-Gain before/after the Tape instance in individual tracks, I use this to hit tape at hotter levels because I need to stay close to -18dBFS with AlexB programs.

Just ask away if you need further info!

P.S. Send-Return programs can be used as one instance only but I prefer to split it and use 2 because it sounds much better to me this way (it has a more coherent sound in most cases).
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby yr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "splitting" the send-return preset. If Alex indeed sampled a round-trip, what you are actually doing is doubling the effect of the console. It's of course perfectly legitimate if it sounds better to you, but perhaps less accurate as simulation? Looking at the very low level of harmonic distortion introduced by this preset (at least with the MWC) that shouldn't be a problem though.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:39 pm

yr wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "splitting" the send-return preset. If Alex indeed sampled a round-trip, what you are actually doing is doubling the effect of the console. It's of course perfectly legitimate if it sounds better to you, but perhaps less accurate as simulation? Looking at the very low level of harmonic distortion introduced by this preset (at least with the MWC) that shouldn't be a problem though.

With one instance I hear something is 'missing' in the result, that's why I use 2 of them. If that was a round-trip then Alex should've pushed that a bit harder :lol:
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby elam » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks Mercado Negro
Mercado_Negro wrote:With one instance I hear something is 'missing' in the result, that's why I use 2 of them

That was what was confusing me.I didn't understand why you doubled up the sends.I thought it was to stick with a perfect "emulation" but it's for the sound you need/want.Muchas gracias my man.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries