Login

Tube FM 1 - Now available in 44.1k

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: New Tube Radio programs!

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:44 pm

it's an awesome release.
Everything is just perfect: sound, documentation, website.
I appreciated that michael helped tim, I think this should be the right soul in our 3rd party developers community...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Formbank » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm intrigued by this library, I was wondering what made you choose to sample these radios, is it because of their vintage valve circuitry, primarily ?

The frequency responses appear to be quite varied and I'm curious to know the intended usage for the library in general - considering the circuit's original designs. Are they intended more for a 'colouring' effect ?

Thanks
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby lordnielson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 pm

How high is the saturation on these programs ? Easily audible ou quoi ? :ugeek:
lordnielson

Postby highvoltage » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 am

lordnielson wrote:How high is the saturation on these programs ? Easily audible ou quoi ? :ugeek:

Its not subtle AT ALL
highvoltage

Postby Cupwise » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 am

Formbank wrote:Hi Tim,

...I was wondering what made you choose to sample these radios, is it because of their vintage valve circuitry, primarily ?

...Are they intended more for a 'colouring' effect ?

Thanks

How I got the idea: A few years ago I had a cheap transmitter, like one you might use to transmit from an Ipod to your car radio. I then used it a couple of times as an effect for some of my own music (which i make as a hobby). I went through my alarm clock, and recorded that with a mic in my closet. It sounded nice. Then one day I got the idea to try an old tube radio, so I bought one. Then one day I got Nebula. Eventually I decided to make my own program from this idea. First test used the cheap transmitter. I liked the distortion from that program, and decided to go all out with a project. I bought more radios, better transmitters, and got to work. But, yeah, the tube thing had something to do with why I went from a simple alarm clock to a tube radio. It seemed like a good way to get some tube sound.

2nd question, yes they are intended as coloring effect. Some of the effects have less filtering and can be used as tube enhancers are in general, but I think the ones with filtering are just as useful.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 pm

thanks for all the work you have put into this amazing product, and thanks for having such a great price :)

the vocal demo mp3 is very impressive, and the manual is very well written.

i look forward to checking it out properly in the new year when i have more time, i wish you very well in sales :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:31 pm

I decided to add another of the programs as a demo. To anyone who may have already downloaded the demo .zip, all you need is the extra program. Here's the link:
http://www.cupwise.com/sup/Bell-DO4.zip

Anyone who hasn't got the demo set yet, I've added the extra program to the main demo .zip, so don't get the above file, just get the demo set from the site.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Bought these things the other day. Just wanna say dude - well done. A unique and wonderful sound pallete -

Michael, may good things come your way. Your generosity with your time in helping other samplers is much appreciated. This is a lovely addition.

Henry
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby davidperetz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 am

just used some of the programs on a mix I'm doing and found this library to be fantastic and very useful in few place's. here's my finding.

electric guitars - when you need to remove fizz or fuzziness, when the guitars take too much mix space, or steal the focus from the singer, or if you just want to have that mellow guitar with lot's of bright mid and mellowed treble, exactly like you hear on an old tube radio... think "sleepwalking" by Johny & Santo :arrow:

Reverbs & delays - this is great for echo tape, for years i been trying to get that Johny cash/Elvis Sun sessions hard slapback sound, I got very closed with the R2R and Echoboy but now some of this old radio's nail that vibe with the Echoboy( it's all so new can't remember the name but it's the ones with a sharp pronounced mid do the job!!! )
oh and reverb's through that - got to try that for plates, modern bright reverbs just gel fantastically well with the track going through the radio.
remind of the revers sound's on the first "Suede" album, ultra mid "in your face" kind of space. :ugeek:

Vocals - Here's a sick trick from Daniel Lanois evol audio book - insert the nebulized radio on an aux and send the vocalist to a parallel 50' universe. by far this is the best use i have found for this programs.
if you ever heard Dylan album "time out of mind" than you will immediately recognize that sick sandpaper vibe, where dylan (and the band at large) sound's like he's voice is coming out of a 50' tube radio. listen closely to "Love Sick". there Lanois used a small fender tube amp to get that sound, but that's only because he didn't have nebula or this program's ) :twisted:

electric piano - rhodes and wurlie vs't always tend to sound big in solo but kind of disappear or be "too belly" (pun intended :) omnipresent in a crowded then some radio's (forgot the name, man ther's too much signs you need to learn in nebula programs something like a E004DI---9, Giancarlo Save us !!!) can tailor fit them to the mix, no treble, just pure untainted "Hi mid" think Portishead's trembling huge wurlie, on "Roads", and as an added bonus you get that tiny space that surrounds real rhodes cabs and makes them step a little bit back from the front of the speakers but not into the other room as reverbs tend to do to Epianos. ;)

Anyway I'm off to find other uses for this fantastic creative Library. but just a last thought before i go, finally there's a Nebula program that the "Post boys" (but still not man enough for music studio...), will love to use in the movies. speakerphone - behind you!!!

Congratulations to all involved in this, and may more creative library's like these, come our way ( so who here has a wax cilinder? I can't wait for those old pre war scratchy blues sounds:)

:!:
davidperetz
User Level II
User Level II

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries