Login

Henry Olonga releases Vintage Titan EQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Henry Olonga releases Vintage Titan EQ

Postby richie43 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am

h-man wrote:
richie43 wrote:Since I see you are online Henry, could you please elaborate what the "trough" presets are?? AMAZING sounding library, by the way.

Hi richie43,

Trough could be described as equivalent to a dip or notch. Boosts are 'Peaks' and troughs are dips, notches or cuts. Whatever term helps

And the "trough" presets are specifically mid-range cuts? Yes?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am

Off to bed now - another full day tomorrow so any questions I will attempt to answer them in the evening. Many thanks for all the early support of this library - although not perfect in many ways I hope it gives a sonic palette that enables you to mix and get that 70s sound easier. Peace ;).
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:38 am

richie43 wrote:
h-man wrote:
richie43 wrote:Since I see you are online Henry, could you please elaborate what the "trough" presets are?? AMAZING sounding library, by the way.

Hi richie43,

Trough could be described as equivalent to a dip or notch. Boosts are 'Peaks' and troughs are dips, notches or cuts. Whatever term helps

And the "trough" presets are specifically mid-range cuts? Yes?

Last one before I go - Yes - at the specific chosen freqs. The other 'cuts' sub category can be better described as shelves.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:44 am

THANK YOU!!! That's the answer I was looking for. You are a gentleman, a genius, and a plain old cool dude. :lol:
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mr.tele » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 am

h-man wrote:You need to unzip it using software to unpack it as it is a password protected archive. I used 7zip but winzip and others should work.

Thanks Henry, all is okay now. I have 7zip, but it's not my default. When I opened it in 7zip, it worked fine. :D
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 am

Henry said in his first post or so that he suggests not using another Neb preset for a more precise eq setting, but instead he suggests using maybe a more transparent (and luckily faster loading and easier on CPU) algo plugin.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:51 am

Michael Homa wrote:Hi Henry, congrats on your first commercial library. Helios, way to go man! Been waiting for this one.
One point of critique though, the preset structure is so qclone. I know you're a qclone user. It seems when I'm using the eq and try to decide between a 2 or 4 db boost I have to actually launch another Nebula instance. That's tedious. Is there a way you could merge the programs? Or is there some kinda workflow I'm missing here?
Thanks a lot for your work anyway.
Br
Michael

Hi Michael,

Time constraints led me to sample this way :cry: . I had 10 hours to get as much as I could. I recorded other things that day and could not spend all my time on this one eq sampling to create a parametric sweepable package - so I sampled not in NAT ; which does not allow simultaneous recording ( as far as I know and would also limit me to 2 channels every 30 minutes ; not a lot of presets would be made ) but in Reaper to allow me to maximise my time and give a broad representation of the eq as well as record four other channels of other hardware pieces.

Maybe this may help - perhaps view it more as a 'console package' with the added boosts, cuts and dips around the place. As an aside, yes I am a q-clone user and producer and I do like the approach of committing to a sound as opposed to infinite tweaking. I do call my packages and website 'presets' because they are designed for getting you there quickly. It also allows me to produce packages a lot quicker - I wear many hats and time is finite in my busy life and I spend a lot of time on the road. This does not suite everybody's approach I admit so to circumvent the issues of not being able to tweak, again as richie43 has suggested and I have suggested in my first and third posts, grab any old transparent VST eq and place it before the Titan and sculpt your sound to taste going into Nebula. I suggest it will not sound like your typical digital clinical tweak because the Titan will impart its flavour onto the audio. One way to test this yourself is to do what I have suggested and then bypass the Titan to see if it works for you. I hope you will see that you actually have more tweak room with an algorithmic eq with its overlapping bands ( Something Nebula does not do well yet - you need multiple instances for the most part and this leads to a build up of distortion and a perhaps a loss of clarity sometimes). For greater authenticity, you can use the emulation offerings by algorithmic companies that have cloned this specific eq and use them to carve your sound.

Again - not a perfect library for everyone because of its limitations but I hope it enriches your arsenal. :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 am

Bought it and I guess a trim slider would be nicer since they are preamp programs.
Still downloading, 400kB/s (2.72GB).
But from the demos, the output is lowered around 8dB.
Not an easy task to bring back 8dB while nebula output gain is only +6dB.

Thanks a lot for sampling the rare unit and congragulation on the release. 8-)
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Dogbite » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 am

h-man wrote:
Dogbite wrote:Hiya - Thanks for taking the time to put this library together :-)

There is something a bit weird happening with the EQ though - for instance if you load the program 'Max Boost at 1k', instead of boosting at 1k it cuts everything on either side?

I might be missing something of course!

Hey Dogbite,

That is the brighter 'thinner channel' I mentioned. When it's input was boosted slightly it went thinner. The channels are old and I am no engineer to explain why it thinned out but that is how it sounded so I recorded it that way. I wondered whether to leave it out altogether and make the library smaller but decided that it was better to keep it in as it is a quirk of the hardware and gives a different texture which may be useful. So it is not an error in sampling but a characteristic of that one channel at certain settings. You will find it scattered across the library actually. When you hear a sound going much thinner then that channel is the one. I think it was the second input of the four if memory serves me right.

Ah! That's cool - but does that mean I should have more channels showing up as programs? I've only got 1 x boost in Max, Med & Min of 8 different frequencies that you've sampled, and all of them behave like a HP/LP filter at the given frequency, rather than boosting.
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Sorry bro. Will get to you later. Away from home
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries