Login

Gonna buy 1 AlexB Console Help Pick the 1st one for??????

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Gonna buy 1 AlexB Console Help Pick the 1st one for??????

Postby KP2009 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Hello, we want users Best idea on sound for the 1st Console Purchase from AlexB. (We will get all soon But Need 1st One Now)

Question:
Which console to your Ears would be a 1st Pick to purchase for R&B/Pop and Hip Hop Music??

Which Mic Pre Library Chain (Any Third Party Suggestion) would Compliment a Cad Trion 8000 Tube Microphone.

We want warm big punchy Clean Sound!

Thanks for all Suggestions in Advance!!

Bless!
KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Gonna buy 1 AlexB Console Help Pick the 1st one for??????

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 pm

For that type of mic (tube) I'd suggest the VBC for clarity and definition. When I'm mixing for clients who can't spend too much money I just use this chain by default for vocals recorded with my favorite mic, Rode K2 (tube):

Preamp: A512 (PCS-PRO) or MTP mic TFK (MTP-PRO)
Console Input: VBC IM2 (VBC-PRO)
Console Send: VBC SNR (VBC-PRO)
VM-Tube
Console Return: VBC SNR (VBC-PRO)

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby scooter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 pm

VBC or CLC
I have all of them and the VBC is used the most if not always
-Scott
scooter

Postby fuseburn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Yep, go for the A*I !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby burnsound » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:07 pm

For your styles, I recommend that you consider the CLC, MWC, and the MTC- in that order.
burnsound
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 pm

burnsound wrote:For your styles, I recommend that you consider the CLC, MWC, and the MTC- in that order.

I considered the CLC for that type of music (I also mix Hop-Hop/R&B) but he mentioned a tube mic which means it adds a lot of low mid range and warm and sometimes the S*L sound is not appropriate under such circumstances. Same goes for the MTC, that's a tube console which will make vocals much fuller and he'd probably end up equalizing more later.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby burnsound » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
I considered the CLC for that type of music (I also mix Hop-Hop/R&B) but he mentioned a tube mic which means it adds a lot of low mid range and warm and sometimes the S*L sound is not appropriate under such circumstances. Same goes for the MTC, that's a tube console which will make vocals much fuller and he'd probably end up equalizing more later.

Sure, makes sense, my suggestions are only based upon my knowledge of the mentioned styles, as I've never used that mic.
burnsound
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:24 am

For R&B vocals, the 1081 is usually a standard.
Can't go wrong with it.
dpclarkson

Postby Plec » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:07 am

I have the CLC, VBC and MBC.

Out of those I 95% of the time use the CLC and I've blind tested my closest circle of engineer friends on which they thought sounded best on material I've mixed, ranging from extreme metal to dance to rhythm & blues.

The CLC or straight "digital" mix was ALWAYS preferred in the tests. Matter of taste of course, but the VBC and MBC are too colored in the "wrong" way for how I work and what I'd like to hear.

It took me a good couple of months coming to the final conclusion on that. Only way to decide what works in the long run, you need to try them all and just live with them for a while. Best way to decide also is to let them catch you off guard. When you're just listening to stuff in the background and you go "whoa, that sounded good... what's that?". Then you know what's really good for you vs. what you THINK is good for you. :)

But I'd still get the CLC first if you want extended, punchy and clear. The other ones are just a lot more colored and might not be something you'd like to get into right away when you don't know exactly what it is you want IMO.
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby odd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:49 am

What exactly is the CLC sampled from, is it digital?
odd
User Level VI
User Level VI

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries