Login

Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby EricH » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Another classic box I would like to hear nebulated.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby Definity » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Micheal Angel has on in his retro analog pack I think 'dont quote me on that' but it has not changeable setting it all a fixed speed and threshold
Definity
Member
Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 am

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby musicgreator » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 am

Definity wrote:Micheal Angel has on in his retro analog pack I think 'dont quote me on that' but it has not changeable setting it all a fixed speed and threshold


Are you sure that program is compressing at all. I heard, those in the retro analog pack are just the amp. The color so to speak.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby Barendse » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:01 pm

musicgreator wrote:
Definity wrote:Micheal Angel has on in his retro analog pack I think 'dont quote me on that' but it has not changeable setting it all a fixed speed and threshold


Are you sure that program is compressing at all. I heard, those in the retro analog pack are just the amp. The color so to speak.


Love both LA-2A programs, the limiter program is great for crushing drums. To my ears both programs do compress.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 pm

There is no envelope follower on the compressor programs in the RASS. It is, indeed, just the color. There are no controls either in the RACompressor programs; no adjustment for threshold, attack*, release*, makeup...it's just a "slap it on" input program. That said, they do sound quite good. I was surprised how much of that "compressed" sound comes through in the saturation without any clamping functions.

Also, I don't think there is a single LA-2A in that collection. Looking through the library I see several 1176, the Fairchild, a N**e and a valve console compressor.

*There are "attack" and "release" controls but they don't control the attack and release of a compressor; it's the same as any preamp in Nebula, it has to do with the attack and release of the sample engine.
Last edited by ngarjuna on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't recall if it was one the old forums or over here but there was a thread about LA-2A a while back where it was determined that Nebula was not fast enough for that style of compressor. That was, however, prior to the Core III updates IIRC so that might be outdated information (we have, after all, seen more than one 1176 library at this point which is not a slow compressor).
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby Barendse » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Also, I don't think there is a single LA-2A in that collection. Looking through the library I see several 1176, the Fairchild, a N**e and a valve console compressor.


They're in PP1.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Barendse wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Also, I don't think there is a single LA-2A in that collection. Looking through the library I see several 1176, the Fairchild, a N**e and a valve console compressor.


They're in PP1.

Ah you're right, there are a pair of LA-2A programs in PP1, I had forgotten about those. I believe PP1 also predates envelope follower in sampled programs. These programs, too, have no adjustment to threshold, attack, release, etc. The one caveat in the PP1 guide is that you can't have the variable attack/release/threshold depth, obviously, so you kind of have to hit the input just right for how the program is sampled to get the 2A feel.

I didn't say in my prior posts but these programs mostly sound great. I was shocked at how much of the sound of these famous compressors is captured in programs with no envelope follower. While they can be paired up with a "clean" algo comp (to do the actual gain changing) what they do to transients makes them sound incredibly convincing without anything of the sort.
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby Martinez » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:10 pm

I have a question.

Say for example that the whole compression thing does get sorted out eventually and nebula can do compression perfectly, is it possible to update the already existing compression libraries to match the new engine behaviour or will they be stuck that way?
Martinez
Member
Member
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Does LA-2A exist for nebula....?

Postby Definity » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 pm

martinez wrote:I have a question.

Say for example that the whole compression thing does get sorted out eventually and nebula can do compression perfectly, is it possible to update the already existing compression libraries to match the new engine behaviour or will they be stuck that way?


Yes they will automatically I believe, NAT sample all the gear at the real attack and release time as well as their curve. I think Nebula cannot process it quick enough and that is the problem ATM I think anyway.
Definity
Member
Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 am

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: soundskiller and 3 guests