Login

EQ's for Nebula.. wow!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

EQ's for Nebula.. wow!

Postby Plec » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 pm

I've not been impressed by anything for very long until I decided to try a few EQ's for Nebula. As a heavy UAD user I pretty much only use their EQ's, especially the S*L 4000 E Brown knob and N**e 1073 plus the T*****t A-Range. The Pultec has got a lot of use from me also but has recently been replaced by the Softube T**e-T**h emulation.

First EQ I tried was the Cooltec (Pultec EQP-1A3S) by CDSoundmaster. This one sounded awesome and instantly took the number one spot as fav. Pultec EQ.

Second I got the German Mastering Console (N*****n) from Alex B, which has a low-end EQ to DIE for. Which I did when trying it out...

I've been hesitating to get in the EQ game for mixing tasks though due to the interface and in comparison quirky workflow compared to just opening up a UAD plug that fits the bill and let's goooo already!
But I got the CLQ (S*L 4000 E Brown) and 73eq (N**e 1073) from Alex B since those are my most used EQ's while mixing.

All I can say is... I don't regret it for a minute. On every source when I'm comparing to the UAD plugins it just sounds twice as good, especially with the 1073, but also with the CLQ. It's just as if you have the sounds jump out of the speakers at you but without any added harshness.

Sounds actually come alive again!

The curves of the UAD plugins sound very similar of course but they lack so much of the character and dynamics when comparing to the ones from Alex B. How cheesy as it seems, the sounds just seem to stay IN the speakers still with the EQ curves matching up. :(

My poor i7 is having a fit here, but it is worth it. :ugeek:
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Re: EQ's for Nebula.. wow!

Postby sfunk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm

this is pretty much exactly my findings. I did tests with the Alex B N**e verses the UAD N**e at it was always the same-Neb jumped out of the speakers. Thats the difference on pretty much everything when using Neb. Plugins make mixes sit inside the speakers. Nebula makes it sit outside the speaker in a 3D way.
sfunk

Postby fuseburn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:57 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you said, Plec, especially
Plec wrote:due to the interface and in comparison quirky workflow

Just bought R2R and Tapebooster...Proudly tried it...Sounds AMAZING...but, I have to do 30 mouseclicks to instantiate Tapebooster. That's actually disastrous, but that's the road we all have to take, right ? :)
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:00 am

fuseburn wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you said, Plec, especially
Plec wrote:due to the interface and in comparison quirky workflow

Just bought R2R and Tapebooster...Proudly tried it...Sounds AMAZING...but, I have to do 30 mouseclicks to instantiate Tapebooster. That's actually disastrous, but that's the road we all have to take, right ? :)

This may not be an option for you (it's somewhat host dependent) but I count on my host to make FX presets which save plugin state so that I can use and reuse those instances over and over. Saves a whole lot of time and clicking.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Plec » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:03 am

Couldn't agree more!

The only sane way to use Nebula if you have a lot of programs installed is to use your hosts preset manager, which in Cubase 5 is very good for this!

I have saved all my go-to programs and settings within preset folders so I can get to what I need pretty much with two clicks versus 5 or 6 in some cases.

For example...

S*L 4000:
Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, Mix bus.. etc...

Studer A800 MKIII:
15 ips -9 A
15 ips -10 A
15 ips -15 A
30 ips -10 A

N**e 1073 EQ:
HiShelf
Mid
LoShelf

etc..............

Great also since you can name your presets exactly how you like for a quick find. :)
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby seb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 am

Well, I guess it`s time you test the Black master EQ Pro then :) It`s the most used EQ over here, and I`ve bought most of the 3d party EQs out there in Nebulaland.
seb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Plec » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 am

A*I? :twisted:
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby scooter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:10 am

VBeQ 4 Ever :!:
-Scott
scooter

Postby seb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 am

Jepsipepsi, A*I 5500. Sold my hw 5500 after the neb version came..
seb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby himhui » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:40 am

Honestly, all the nebula 3rd party EQs are great!! :lol:
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert