Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Awesome eq coming

Postby mertayy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:29 pm

:lol:
mertayy

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 am

I completely agree with David as well. Call it completely generic. Something like "sculpting eq" or something way out. Those of us in the know will be aware of the pedigree.

Get it out soon. Don't care what is charged because I have waited for this one for months now...............
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby MESA4X12ER » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Being inferred is fine as long as you don't explicitly refer to the product in question. As long as you are not using the name of the original product to sell your product you are safe.

Sampling should be totally legal as well as you are not copying their design in any way. You are not copying their circuit and you are not selling it as an emulation of a specifically named product in any of the official documentation. They cannot register a way to bend sound, only the name and design of the device that does it.

Think of it as Fruit Loops cereal vs. Sugar-Os lol. It's obvious they are a knock off of fruit loops but the actual recipe is a bit different and the name is different. OpenOffice Vs. Microsoft Office. Same Idea different code, similar name to get the point across. A good recent example is the PSP sQuad EQ. It's obvious from the looks and names what they are referencing but they don't say it directly so they are safe. Another example is either guitar rig or revalver amp emulations... for example the Mesa Dual Rectifier emulation is called the "Gratifier." It looks similar to a Dual Rectifier and is called gratifier which is obviously a similar name, but that's how they get out of lawsuits and having to pay Mesa. The key really is to not use the real product as a tool to sell yours and don't copy the name. :D
MESA4X12ER
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mertayy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm

MESA4X12ER the problem is a little different. Usually even if you know you're right bigger companys can bully as they can afford law suits and smaller ones or individuals can't.

I guess this changes from country but for example A*I had to change arsenal audio name to JDK audio because JVC (if I remember right) threatened to sue because they had a product with a similar name.

This doesn't make any sense at all but due to the possible expenses A*I prefered to change the product name.
mertayy

Postby MESA4X12ER » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 pm

True but they'd have to have some sort of basis to have any real threat. For instance if he called it the Passive Aggressive they may be able to say he clearly stole half the name as retarded as it is. But if he called it the (my personal suggestion) The Mammoth or something equally obscure then they really have no case to even try to intimidate him with.

I know what you're saying... a good example would be where monster cables started suing everyone with the word monster in their name. The big thing again though... they justified it with the word MONSTER.

He can still come up with a cool name that conveys the same attitude without giving anyone a legal leg to stand on. If someone made an A*I 3124 clone called the AIP 3412 then obviously the company will go after you because the name could be misleading. It's just a shame something as awesome as this would get such a generic name. For me a lot of it is about not bowing down to those that would seek to oppress. Sure you have to watch the line but there's plenty of wiggle room in there to stay off toes and still do something cool. ;)
MESA4X12ER
User Level I
User Level I

Postby indravayu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:29 am

Guys, who care's what it's called, as long as it sounds great and the AITB doesn't get hassled by lawyers? Let the EQ stand on it's own, I say - one doesn't need to know its lineage in order to use and enjoy it.
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby scooter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 am

Call the new EQ

Colossus

I can't wait! :mrgreen:
-Scott
scooter

Postby MESA4X12ER » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 am

indravayu wrote:Guys, who care's what it's called, as long as it sounds great and the AITB doesn't get hassled by lawyers? Let the EQ stand on it's own, I say - one doesn't need to know its lineage in order to use and enjoy it.

It's called marketing. Most people aim to name their products in a way that will draw attention. I personally don't care as I already know about the EQ and have nothing to gain or lose with high or low sales. Things such as the name don't generally make or break a product but they definitely affect it.
MESA4X12ER
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Fishmac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi!

I'm beta-testing this library right now and the beta is named totally different.
And - by the way - it's great!!! If you have a lot of Nebula Eqs and you wonder if it's worth to have another one - forget it - this is not "another one", this is something different...
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries