Login

Fate Comp: "We start testing first 96KHz programs this..."

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Fate Comp: "We start testing first 96KHz programs this..."

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 pm

analoginthebox.com » Wed Oct 06, 2010: "We start testing first 96KHz programs this weekend" (Forum subject: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!).

Are we near climax (=publishing)?

I would always like to see that all 3rd party developers make it clear whether their programs are based on 96 kHz technology, which is must - I think. It's not so obvious when you are buying things; sadly.
Anthony
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Fate Comp: "We start testing first 96KHz programs this..."

Postby micstandbob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 am

I have been waiting patiently for the 96k version as well. i can't use 44.1k because of the slow conversion process to 96k when loading. I am ready to spend money as soon as this compressor is released at 96k.
thanks,
Darrell
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby analoginthebox.com » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 am

Hi Anthony,

sadly we are not ready for that yet. :(
There are a lot of possible issues with Nebula that can happen using 96kHz. For compressors it is not debugged and tested officially at all!

For the Fate compressor we have all files on disk but we need to synchronize our timeframe with Giancarlo, to work hand in hand on that. Actually there are a lot of other important developments that are scheduled before improving compressor support.

But maybe we could release a public Beta to all customers? I'll think about that.

I would always like to see that all 3rd party developers make it clear whether their programs are based on 96 kHz technology, which is must - I think. It's not so obvious when you are buying things; sadly.

You are very welcome to send an email with pre-sales questions to us before purchasing anything. I don't want to start a discussion about 44.1 vs 96kHz, because I see the need of both samplerates in Nebula land. (Depending on release).
But personally, I'd say a much more important information that should be provided by all developers is what converters they used. The Prism Orpheus @44.1 beats any good prosumer interface @96kHz by far!
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:57 am

analoginthebox.com wrote:But personally, I'd say a much more important information that should be provided by all developers is what converters they used. The Prism Orpheus @44.1 beats any good prosumer interface @96kHz by far!

This is a crucial point. Properly built equipment or coded plugins for that matter have less of a need for using higher sample rates. Something to keep in mind is higher local rates work converters harder which induce more artifacts. Well built converter at 44.1 avoids two evils at once.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 am

analoginthebox.com wrote:But personally, I'd say a much more important information that should be provided by all developers is what converters they used. The Prism Orpheus @44.1 beats any good prosumer interface @96kHz by far!

Well said. Agree completely.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby micstandbob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 am

analoginthebox.com wrote: I don't want to start a discussion about 44.1 vs 96kHz, because I see the need of both samplerates in Nebula land. (Depending on release).
But personally, I'd say a much more important information that should be provided by all developers is what converters they used. The Prism Orpheus @44.1 beats any good prosumer interface @96kHz by far!

I agree the converter design is more important, but it is a an issue of work flow for me. even the compressor sampled at 44.1 then made available as a 96k library from the developer would make me happy. maybe that is impossible too now. I have been refining my work flow with nebula for about a year. originally i was mixing at 44.1k and found it to be very disconnecting from the creative process to watch my nebula libraries samplerate convert from 96 to 44.1. I almost forget what sound I was going after. I know it is only 10 sec or so, but i found by working at 96k I mentally could work so much faster because all my presets loaded nearly instantly (I have nebula on an SSD) reverbs even take less than 2 sec usually. the majority of my libraries were already at 96k so i decided to go that direction and not look back. I haven't done a 44.1k mix since. i have to bounce down tracks more often, but i still find that better because Cubase does batch export so well. so when i'm listening i'm mixing, then when i have to export because i ran out of processor, it is a nice break from the speakers.

so i see a need for libraries being released at 96k in order for me to purchase. but also at 44.1 for people who work at that samplerate
Darrell
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am

There seems to be different opinions. AlexB writes on his web page:
"Sampling at 96kHz (if you know how to do) it sounds always better even if you work at 44.1kHz, while is not true the contrary, despite you use top class converters, and this is very easy to hear (and to understand).

I strongly recommend to work @96kHz, taking care to the levels of gain structure..."
Anthony
User Level I
User Level I

Postby tumburu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:08 pm

And buy 3 servers to use those libraries.

This is an endless debate.

The short and practical answer is: use only libraries that have the same sample rate you're using. That's why I use heavily AITB libraries, OTOH these guys are the only ones that offer even the 96k option lately, and that's pretty unique, so let's just appreciate this huge effort that nobody else is doing ATM.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm not saying there is no difference between 96 and 44.1 but...everyone who has "major" issues, either sonic or workflow, based on sample rate, I think your imagination is getting the best of you.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby brp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 pm

hi there

i got allmost rid of the long conversiontime by changeing the value "set conversion priority"(dont remember how it's called exactly) in the mast page from "lower" to "higher". it still needs to convert the programs then, but it will convert them a lot faster.

pascal
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries