Login

R2R question, opinions

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: R2R question, opinions

Postby Grim » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 am

I've had something of an epiphany!

Long time user of R2R but for the first time yesterday I tried the Revox on every track of a mix.

I really wish I tried this earlier...it mushed everything together beautifully. The disparate bunch of sounds I was struggling with seems much more like a band now

Highly recommended for less than perfect indie/garage rock/punk/alternative band recordings :mrgreen:
Grim

Postby highvoltage » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Grim wrote:I've had something of an epiphany!

Long time user of R2R but for the first time yesterday I tried the Revox on every track of a mix.

I really wish I tried this earlier...it mushed everything together beautifully. The disparate bunch of sounds I was struggling with seems much more like a band now

Highly recommended for less than perfect indie/garage rock/punk/alternative band recordings :mrgreen:

Nice! Which specific programs did you use?
highvoltage

Postby Grim » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Rev-15-499-0 across the board....checked my loudest source to somewhere just under 0db & everything else got the same input.

Now tried it on 3 tracks & they're all keepers.
Grim

Postby ezod » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Grim wrote:I've had something of an epiphany!

Yes! This has been my "secret weapon" for rockabilly and traditional "train song" kind of material for a while now. Revox 15 are my most often used R2R progs: usually use ATR-0, crank the input and pull back on the way out...Works great on the louder punkier stuff too, like you say. Something about the way it brings upper end of guitars and cymbals together?!?
ezod
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby scooter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for sharing, Grim.
Made me revisit R2R library and the love is still there! :)
-Scott
scooter

Postby Grim » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Something about the way it brings upper end of guitars and cymbals together?!?
ezod

Seems to bring pretty much anything together!
I'm sure if our singer had farted loudly on mic it'd be sitting great in the track now :lol:

Will definitely try out the ATR next.
Grim

Postby Finnish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm still a bit confused how hard you should hit R2R, crank the input to about yellow and lowering the output?
Finnish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby yr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm

If you are using the R2R library alone (without the TB) you can hit it as hard as you want, as long as you don't clip Nebula. Of course you will have to listen to what sounds best to you, but none of the presets that I've checked (Studer & Otari) produce more then about 0.5-0.6% THD max.

If you are using R2R together with the TB library, you need to gain stage differently if you are looking for a realistic tape simulation. The levels of saturation (and the sound of course) vary from one preset to another. The Otari 30-499-0 followed by TB96Med2 will give you 0.177%THD @ -18dBFS which is very close to the 499 specs (0.2%THD @RL).
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby woeischris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 pm

The more I use this library, the more I love it. I'm finishing up a kind of old school sounding black metal band and every gritty R2R patch that I use sounds better than the one before it. It's seriously the closest I will ever get to 1996 Norway! Haha.
woeischris

Postby highvoltage » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:16 pm

the Rev 15 ATR-0 is my fav too from the more coloured ones.
highvoltage

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries