Login

R2R question, opinions

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: R2R question, opinions

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Enrique,
I have sent you a PM. I hope this helps. Thanks!

Thanks you Michael!
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby prosodio » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Several tips for R2R users: studer 15ips 0a great for drums tracks (snare, kick, hat....), bass and even lead vox. Studer 15ips 6b or 9a great for OH and room as they don´t tame the highs as 15ips 0. Akai are great for any kind of guitar sounds, wollensak are the best for those 70,60 even 50´s tones, great colour and character.... record your guitar with a good tube amp and a crunch channel, now put the wolly with 2 db from tb+.... that brown sugar sound is there in a few seconds. Now in the master channel: revox atr 15 0 ips absolutely great, it keeps the whole spectrum intact and add very good thickness. Studer 30 ips -15 is very good for a more pop or modern approach.

Hope it helps.
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby scooter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:17 am

Editing the R2R and TB+ in and out settings under Edit > Globe menus, is a must, in order to get the right results with either library. This suggestion also comes from the manual.
-Scott
scooter

Postby Barendse » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 am

scooter wrote:Editing the R2R and TB+ in and out settings under Edit > Globe menus, is a must, in order to get the right results with either library. This suggestion also comes from the manual.

Also for the high gain programs?
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby sfunk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 pm

what i do now most of the time is turn up the input until the clip light shows and then back it off a bit, keeping an eye on the light once its off all the time i then note that as the max input position and adjust accordingly. I do the same for the Alex B consoles as well.
Does that sound about right?
sfunk

Postby Yllet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm

According to the manual from r2r, you shouldn't use more than +3 of input gain?

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby yr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am

I think that the R2R library was created to cover a digital full scale and that the AlexB console libraries are meant to be used at nominal levels. In case you are looking for realistic/natural sounding results it probably means you will be using higher levels for the R2R presets compared to the consoles.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Plec » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 am

Yes.. from what I have gathered you should optimally use the R2R library with signals close to 0dbFS in PEAK value. NO MATTER WHICH PROGRAM YOU ARE USING!!!

So you are not supposed to use the -30 program for signals close to -30 in the DAW, the levels are just a representation of the level you would like to hit tape AT... if that makes sense?

Alex B's programs are all ment to be used at "0VU", in the digital world meaning -18dbFS RMS. This is nominal level and everything above this average level will get more and more saturated. If you go over 0dbFS peak value with them though you're out of bounds and the program will start to act weird.

Just to repeat... the CDS R2R and Alex B programs need different gain staging!

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 am

Hi there!
Yes, this is accurate. The dB designations in the programs are there to provide additional information above and beyond just stating 'low ,med, high'. I wanted to be able to track every single individual sample. So, you are not trying to send a -30dB digital signal to the -30dB program. You send whatever file volume you are used to setting your levels at to the program that you want.
Deciding on the gain staging for an AlexB versus a CDS is the same process you would choose between any two programs in a chain. Alex has set things up to a calibrated system that translates the scale of analog to a virtual scale adopted so that we pretend that there is still a boost range above an imaginary 0dB in digital. Since people may set their actual tracks up this way, it works well when metering at final mix as well. R2R and other libraries can be used for any file that has a peak of +0dB down to -18dB RMS without any trouble. If you wish to add gain to this, you can use Drive, but I recommend only boosting a very small amount this way, evevn for very low average level files, because drive acts independently of the input. It is more accurate to adjust input gain into Neb to boost the amount of gain saturation for lower levels. You can save your own settings to 'set it and leave it' for redundant renderings by going to Glob and turning the input "pad in" level up and lowering the output "pad out" by the same amount, returning to the main screen and clicking save. Or, rename it by change in boost and save as- and then you can load the new version if desired.

Also, Prosodio recommends all of the program choices that are also my favorite choices! He really has a talent for getting "THE" sound he is describing. Awesome! :-)

Plec wrote:Yes.. from what I have gathered you should optimally use the R2R library with signals close to 0dbFS in PEAK value. NO MATTER WHICH PROGRAM YOU ARE USING!!!

So you are not supposed to use the -30 program for signals close to -30 in the DAW, the levels are just a representation of the level you would like to hit tape AT... if that makes sense?

Alex B's programs are all ment to be used at "0VU", in the digital world meaning -18dbFS RMS. This is nominal level and everything above this average level will get more and more saturated. If you go over 0dbFS peak value with them though you're out of bounds and the program will start to act weird.

Just to repeat... the CDS R2R and Alex B programs need different gain staging!

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Dogbite » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Just to be double double clear then... :-)

In a scenario where I wanted to process my audio files offline using both R2R tape and then an AlexB console program, to get the best results I should:

Normalize the files to 0db first and nebulize them with R2R to get the best results from the tape program.

THEN use NRGUI with the -18db processing gain switch to nebulize the files again with AlexB's console program?

So both libraries are then being fed audio at their optimum level?

H :?:
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries