Login

R2R question, opinions

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

R2R question, opinions

Postby markham » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:02 am

Hi everyone,

Here's the background: the R2R library by CDSoundMaster is one of the things that got me interested in trying out Nebula in the first place. It always seems to get such high reviews, and I've been looking for a tape-style plugin for awhile.

Here's the situation: I'm still only on Nebula 3 Free, so the only access to the R2R library I have are the 4 programs from the Free library: "Revox S ATR 0," "Wol Tone Dial," "Wol-HiFi T1," and "S640GM20."

Here's the question: how representative are these presets of the entire library? The Revox is the most broad-based of these Free demos, but it's soaking up a lot more high end than I would personally ever want it to. Just from reading through the descriptions on the site, the ones I'd be most interested in would be the Studer A-800 and the Otari. I used to engineer a lot at a studio with a Studer, so I'm most familiar with that sound.

Can anyone compare/contrast these that has access to the libraries? Is the free Revox the only sample of the Revox in the full version? I'm not sure how the libraries would be set up. I guess I'm wondering whether or not to expect "more of the same" from the commercial R2R library, which is probably great for some people, but the Free demos just don't quite do what I'm looking for.

Anyways, hope that makes sense, and thanks for the help, guys.

Cheers.
markham
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: R2R question, opinions

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am

I hope this help you...
Attachments
CDSMR2REPsAdditionalInformation.pdf
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby markham » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks, Enrique. That's cool to see.

I'd still love some detailed opinions from anyone out there, though. Are most of the settings as heavily colored as the free examples, or are they much more subtle? It looks like from the chart that the free Revox is actually running at 7.5 ips, so that could certainly explain the HF rolloff...
markham
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby sfunk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 pm

I have R2R and its great. To be honest i have only really used to Studer and Otari 15ips programs and they are excellent. For colour i have experimented with some of the others and they do an excellent job of making things sit in the mix, theres just so many i havent had time. I really should spend a day going through them on different sources.
sfunk

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09 pm

The Revox ATR 7.5 programs are a bit colored, yep. There are 15ips Revox programs (on ATR and 499). The Wollensak programs are extremely colored and varied, it's an interesting machine. It's almost like a bunch of different machines that's how much difference there can be from one Wollensak program to the next (even on the same tape).

There are also less colored decks in the professional package like the Studer A800 and the Otari (both at 15ips and 30).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

The Studer and Otari programs are much cleaner and perfect for mixing. I usually default to Studer for mixdown. It's fantastic, especially with Tape Booster.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby SWAN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes I can concur that many of the Studer Presets are much cleaner generally and can be quite subtle...in the bundle there is all sorts from very coloured to gentle tape treatment...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby farjedi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Dont forget the tone dial, I love that thing when I want to transform stuff..tried it once on a crappy plugin vocoder and made it sound like not crap :D
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:15 am

Excellent questions and awesome responses!
Yes, the 15 ips Revox programs are much less colored than the 7.5. Still, the electronics of the machine have a distinct sound beyond the tape and when layered for cumulative tracks it makes a great effect. The Studer is the most obvious choice for multiple tracks, but at 30 ips it is really amazing as a main 2 bus. that is the joy of having it in a repeatable digital form with out redundancy loss or hiss at the noise floor- all the correct benefits without harming a main 2 buss. The Studer is a very clean machine and is designed with the intention of sounding accurate, but when intentionally used at 15 ips with a little bit of push it becomes a producer's best friend- definitely the mark of a creative tool- high end and reliable, but definitely able to make a creative choice in sonics.
If you decide to get R2R, I really recommend doing critical listening comparisons with the Otari on 2 track 30 ips compared to Studer at 15 or 30. The Studer seems to always lean towards being friendly to the entire spectrum and multiple attributes within a dense mix, where the Otari has this incredible ability to subtly help percussive transients find their place in the 3d space, and stereo details take on a slightly different color. It is a really great machine. It is punchy in the right ways, but only when the source is that way. The Studer never seems to detract from that, but in a very musical subtle way it favors the lengthier passages, smoother sustain, and packs the harmonic response in a very calm textured manner.

I really, really, really encourage playing with the less linear machines for anything that you would use a more radical eq, drive, or even for automating the tone dial on the Wollie. It really takes advantage of the Wollensaks tube front end and it is fun to have something that is more obvious and colored for less critical reproduction on tracks. The Akai for stereo rhythm electric combines with a good sounding cabinet for really awesome overtones and extra drive- you trade a little high end (which may have been rolled off for the final mix anyway to lean towards front vocals and keys and cymbals) and gain texture and complex sustain and it really articulates the drive that is already chosen for the sound.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby prosodio » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:05 pm

This is the library wich will make your sound a big improvement, tape is the magic ingredient for THAT analog sound. Yes, alexb and Michael consoles are great, the eq´s are wonderfull, but R2R+ TB+ is a clear winner. Even I have the hiss from all the machines, Michael uploaded them a while ago....

For me the last way of working is: processing offline with R2R and tb+ then, I mix with 6-8 differente eqs, and I discover my new N**e sound: I use the three Nevish consoles avaliable (MWC, VBC and sc81). You have 14 different inputs, 5 or 6 different subgroup busses and several mixbusses. My master chain is usually: MWC clean followed by revox (yes, revox!!!) atr 0 15ips, 2 or 3 db tb+ followed by psp mastercomp (attack 0.5ms release 100ms, ratio 1.09:1 with -1db GR), you can change revox atr 0 for studer 30 ips for a more clean result.

Wolly, akai and sony are a must for electric guitars!!!!!

Absolutely great!!!!

Greetings
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries