Login

Mixing ITB

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Mixing ITB

Postby hpbui01 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 am

ngarjuna wrote:Haven't heard an update on the Bricasti in a bit, not sure about that; it's eagerly awaited by many.

There are so many libraries...help us narrow down what you might want to use for mixing ITB: what do you use when you are mixing OTB? Or what does ITB mixing lack for you without these tools (that you would like Nebula to make up for you)?

I know!!! No news of the Bricasti since December.... I am so disheartened.

Any who I am doing some good ITB mixes using Waves Mercury Bundle and some other plugins. However I wanted to step up a notch and deliver high quality sound. I have two studios one is commercial, by commercial I big this is where most of my money goes, and one home studio. My home studio is about 30% for fun and about 70% giving back to the community who helped me make a living. Its main purpose is too allow local neighborhood kids and the like to come in and start getting record and having the music mix lower then what would be professionally done. Of course this may sound insane, as it would seem as I would be competing with myself, but my house is on the border of two states so my main studio is in a different demographic. It also allows me to take in some free interns and teach them a thing or two, as much as I love being an audio engineer I love teaching just as much.

Back on track, my L*****n plugin was bought was I demo'd it against my hardware L*****n 96 and to me it was pretty much the same; since they both use the same algorithm. For those those who had the hardware version they would know that the plugin version only includes the reverb not the effects; which is in itself a completely different plugin. So first of all I am looking for great effect type library to replace what I am missing.

Second off I also have a Bricasti in my main studio which is why I would love to see a nebula version. I use the m7 and 96 for all my reverb need. I tried to do a few mixes the past 2 week using only my 96 to see what it would be like if I only had my L*****n and I didn't like it one bit. The mixes was good and being the perfectionist that I am I always felt like something was missing or that there just wasn't enough variety it get the sound I was going go. So second I am looking for any nebula reverb that would go well with my L*****n plugs to cover my bases e.g. give me back my variety; since I can't afford to buy two m7 lol.

Next I am looking for suggestion to get an analogue chain in nebula; tapes and consoles. For tape I was thinking of following Mercado_Negro advice in his gearslutz thread where he stated that he mainly like using only the NAG tape with tapebooster+ or tubebooster. My only qualms with this is, is this enough variety? Will it cover all my bases? I do realize that some studios back in the day only had one tape machine so this somewhat sets my mind at ease but I like the extra reassurance. As for console I have no idea which I want so many choice so it will be same as before what will cover my bases?

Last but not least in case I ever have to do some mixes on the go, if all I had was nebula, what eqs could round out well with all the choices you all pick for the above 3 paragraphs?
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:43 am

Welcome to the forum !

Always nice to discuss the wide range of tools we have along with their application.

As mentioned, it could be helpful to understand better what needs one is looking for. Although I find it rather humorous that a specific console, eq, compressor is ONLY good for a certain style of music ... although there may be come 'comfort' level working with the same tools as customary.

As a starting point ... I'd suggest focus in on a particular console, along with its' companion EQ [and even the 'dynamics' if available. This way, you'd have a coherent package as a base.

If looking toward a more complete 'analogue' chain, there is no doubt the collection of Reel2Reel libraries would compliment that.

Then there are the 'boutique' items, outboard Pre-amps, Tubes, transformers, that can provide a wide range of textures & color.

Depending on your past experience and/or dedication, the range available is immense ... and growing. Unlike the regular VST plugin world, Nebula and libraries rarely supply a 'preset' option that showcases the library. The concept is much more hardware in nature, whereby working with the tools is a process of learning and experience.

Certainly, each library will have it's strengths, and therefore, weaknesses. Certain EQ libs are designed [by design] to work in broad stroke fashion, while others can have wide range or surgical capabilities.
Although MOST libraries include a 'CLEAN' version [so as to NOT overdo coloration through stacking ... some EQ's are full of color ... and that is their draw.

Bottom line ... I'd not expect more than other's observations and suggestions as to THEIR favorite. One thing that could be agreed on ... a hit song was never stop because someone choose the wrong console to work from :lol:

Best thing ... keep reading the forums, ask questions, talk over with others, take time LEARNING how this equipment works/behaves ...

As others mentioned ... IF the sound is IMPORTANT, then you deal with the major workflow issues. I rarely use ANY of the VST's I've purchased over the years in pursuit of something that sounded like the hardware I worked on. True, I may pull up a algo plug that resembles AlexB's MWeQ just to do an initial eq sketch. As soon as I sub back to Nebula, the magic returns.

sorry for the ramble ... hope this helped in some way.

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am

Hi!

About the Reverbs/effects:

I didn't explore yet the reverbs, but it seems to me that the lack of settings is a major limit, so the "presets" sampled with Nebula could either work or not in a situation.
There aren't so much reverbs in the Nebula world right now: The commercial library has quit a few, then there is this PCM91 which reappeared lately from the old internet site, and I think CDS has some in his mastering pack, as well as VNXT.
Check out room Hunters they have a nice concept (didn't try it).
But not so much experience here on that subject...

About the EQ:
I would say that in my experience there is a vast amount of possibilities (due to the fact that those libraries are so subtle and unique)... that there is a learning curve with Nebula, you have to try for yourself.

For instance, if I want to add a little high-end on a source:
I often have to try 3 or 4 different high shelf eq so I can have the perfect match between the source and the effect...
I mean:
-hard vs soft high range feeling,
-enough/not too much extra high-end,
-does the shelf begin as low as I need
(like from 2khz on?), ...
Usually, I like the CDS "N-TEN-ATTEN", the AlexB "TL-LEQ", the Analog in the box "Germanos eqpack" high-shelf most for the high shelf job.
Then If I find it a bit too bright, I add a tape from the R2R pack to see if it is better, and so on...

Then for all around eq-ing, I would say ModernWhiteEQ from Alex B is really good and can be used allmost everywhere...

Best regards
Mitch
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Bsharp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Bsharp
User Level III
User Level III

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 pm

+1 to the VNXT plate. I could also recommend CDSM's rooms (they're in the Producer's Pack 2), I get good use out of those. I've never tried the new Room Hunter rooms but from what I've seen on the forums here they must be quite good too.

hpbui01 wrote:...
Next I am looking for suggestion to get an analogue chain in nebula; tapes and consoles. For tape I was thinking of following Mercado_Negro advice in his gearslutz thread where he stated that he mainly like using only the NAG tape with tapebooster+ or tubebooster. My only qualms with this is, is this enough variety? Will it cover all my bases? I do realize that some studios back in the day only had one tape machine so this somewhat sets my mind at ease but I like the extra reassurance. As for console I have no idea which I want so many choice so it will be same as before what will cover my bases?

To be honest, as much as I love the Nagra programs (and I use them for buss duty myself) I think the R2R is so versatile that it's hard to justify not having it if you're interested in tape modeling (along with Tapebooster and VTM, having the full 3-stage solution just sounds amazing and TB/VTM will also pair up nicely with other tape programs as you expand your library). Especially from the perspective of providing an educational experience, it's pretty amazing to hear the wide range of tapes in that library and learn about machines that many non-professionals might never be able to get their hands on. As Michael says in the manual, you'll be surprised how often you utilize the "lo-fi" tapes once you get to loving them (the Wollensak programs alone are amazeballs!). That said, you absolutely could setup an analog chain with console + nagra/TB/VTM and be perfectly happy so it's not a bad option by any stretch.

As far as consoles go, you can absolutely get by with one. There's a thread somewhere (I think it's called consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES) where you can hear some apples to apples comparisons and get an idea of what the different boards sort of sound like. While I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the consoles I own (I probably own most of them by now) there might be a more or less obvious choice for the sound you're going for.

Last but not least in case I ever have to do some mixes on the go, if all I had was nebula, what eqs could round out well with all the choices you all pick for the above 3 paragraphs?

I would definitely have a look at the Modern White EQ from AlexB, I find it extremely versatile. Likewise the CLeQ (whose filters I love) is a good one too. That's just the tip of the iceberg, there really is a great variety of outstanding EQs; if you have a hardware favorite that you tend to go to first, that might be a good place to start, someone probably has something similar.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 pm

I think it's so much about the source sounds.. if something has been badly recorded there's absolutely nothing that can make it sound good. When using soft synths, I'd go with good a preamp, maybe some channel compression and possibly some tape. Then EQ that if needed.

Making better arrangements and compositions takes you far. ;)
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby hpbui01 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:42 am

I wish Mercado_Negro would reply to this thread, I have lots of respect for this person's advice!
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries