Login

Mixing ITB

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Mixing ITB

Postby hpbui01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Hello all, I want to test how well mixing can be done ITB, using nebula and other high quality plugins. So far I have L*****n Native PCM and PLParEQ. What nebula libraries would cover my other needs?

*Side Note* What ever happened to nebulizing the Bricasti M7?
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Mixing ITB

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Welcome. Those topic already cover a lot of times. Use forum search engine...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby hpbui01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:Welcome. Those topic already cover a lot of times. Use forum search engine...

Rly? It may be my first post but I've been lurking here for so long it ridiculous. And from what I've seen your not at all correct on this matter. Most post covered here are comparison threads, must have threads, and your favorite type threads. But not a single one comprehensively covers what group of libraries would cover the majority of your bases for mixing. Your suggestion is fine and all but I do not want to go use the search feature by X-eq and Y-eq based off recommendation only to find out that they both excel at boosting lows or both are only good doing LP. So to restate the question what libraries work well together to cover what my PCM and PLPar doesn't.

And I apologize if this sounds rude. If you do not like the tone, please do not be afraid to tell me so.
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Using forum search engine:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

About sampling software, it no makes sense anyway you can buy a commercial version with NAT and sample it. 1K US dollars for PLParEQ Pro Series (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/4045) seems to be quite expensive, you could try Pro-Q (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/pro-q-by-fabfilter) but no Oxford-style peaking filters in Pro-Q

If you are asking about Acustica Audio library bundle with commercial version you can see the complete list here: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic. About 3rd library ask 3 rd developers, you can see their respective web pages at Company / 3rd Party Developer. They usually release a demo from each commercial library that can be tested into Nebula3 FREE and commercial versions.

About a top 10 commercial libraries I find this one using forum search engine:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... pic#p24375

And I apologize if this sounds rude. If you do not like the tone, please do not be afraid to tell me so.

You not sound rude for me, just lazy, Nebula is not a common plug-in, take time for understand it.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby hpbui01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 pm

What I am saying is I ALREADY have the L*****n and the PLParEQ. They are great for what they do. I also have a bunch of other plugs including Wave Mercury Bundle. However I am trying to start a home studio for ITB mixing and would like to use nebula do its ability to sample hardware. Money, atm, is stretch because most of it is being used for school and my commercial studio; so my home studio must suffer a bit. Hopefully with sound advice from more experienced nebula user, I am hoping to find programs I can use along side my L*****n and EQ without adding any redundant libraries. I just don't want to end up with a vast amount of libraries what I will hardly ever use.
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Haven't heard an update on the Bricasti in a bit, not sure about that; it's eagerly awaited by many.

There are so many libraries...help us narrow down what you might want to use for mixing ITB: what do you use when you are mixing OTB? Or what does ITB mixing lack for you without these tools (that you would like Nebula to make up for you)?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby hpbui01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Haven't heard an update on the Bricasti in a bit, not sure about that; it's eagerly awaited by many.

There are so many libraries...help us narrow down what you might want to use for mixing ITB: what do you use when you are mixing OTB? Or what does ITB mixing lack for you without these tools (that you would like Nebula to make up for you)?

Not much, I can already get most of the sound I want out of my plugs already I am just mainly here to get the other 5-10% of that analogue sound. One thing I know for sure is I need some sort of an effect library. I love the L*****n plugin I have but as those of you who own the L*****n 96 know it both a reverb and effects unit, in which I only own the reverb portion. I'm also looking for tape/consoles, and I have an idea on what tape I am getting but what console or sets of console which provide optimum utility; meaning one or a few console which would cover my bases. Other then that my need for EQs and any other libraries are still unknown, so I am still up to suggestions on those.
hpbui01
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Martinez » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 am

I've been doing a lot of mixing in the box lately.
Whilst mixing with nebula is a pain in the ass it is worth the effort IMHO.

The effect of mixing with nebula becomes apparent after you have finshed doing your mix.
The quality of nebula vs other vst plugs becomes quite obvious when you stack them.

The mix with all nebula will sound cleaner and more pleasant to listen to in general as opposed to a mix done with all vst plugs which takes on a sound that's difficult to describe.
I'm not sure if I can describe it be I will try.
Harsh, cloudy, distorted, dull and lifeless.

The weird thing is that nebula tries so hard and does such and excellent job of reproducing the distortion of the various devices it samples but it is the mixes done with regular vst plugs that sounds distorted IMHO.

The greater the number of tracks in the mix, the greater the difference.
Martinez

Postby cfunck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 am

This is an interesting topic. If we think of the top pro mixers today mixing ITB, pretty much all of them are Ptools users and for this reason none of them use Nebula. Some of them actually never heard of it. These guys love Waves and UAD plugs and get great sound from them.
I used to think like you, that without Nebula it wasn't possible. But then one finds out that these talented guys are using these
harsh, cloudy, distorted, dull and lifeless plugins and still making great sounds.
Food for thought...let me know what you guys think about this fact.
cfunck
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Martinez » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 am

cfunck wrote:This is an interesting topic. If we think of the top pro mixers today mixing ITB, pretty much all of them are Ptools users and for this reason none of them use Nebula. Some of them actually never heard of it. These guys love Waves and UAD plugs and get great sound from them.
I used to think like you, that without Nebula it wasn't possible. But then one finds out that these talented guys are using these
harsh, cloudy, distorted, dull and lifeless plugins and still making great sounds.
Food for thought...let me know what you guys think about this fact.

Hi there Cfunck.

I never said it wasn't possible to get great mixes without nebula, I know it's possible to get great mixes without nebula because I've done it myself.

I'm only saying that I can hear a distinct difference in the over all sound when I mix using algorithmic plugs as opposed to nebula.

Just for the record, I think some of those big time mixes are completely full of shit.
Take CLA for instance, there's no way that He uses waves plug ins for compression and eq when He's got racks full of the real thing, not to mention his desk which has one of the best sounding eq's ever made on every channel.

Do I think it's possible to get great sounding mixes using standard VST's like waves?
Sure I do, but there's now way the results are going to be a good as if analogue gear had been used.
It's just not possible.

Take the humble but vital high and low pass filter for example, show me a waves or any other vst that has as good sounding high and low pass filters as smooth and natural sounding as say CLEQ?
There aren't any as far as I'm aware of.
If you use a standard vst for high and low pass filtering duties you can either decide to high or low pass a sound as much as it needs and end up with unnatural results or you can use only as much as sounds natural but not get the clarity you need for a great mix.
It's possible to get a great mix using Algo's but it's just not going to sound as good IMHO.
Martinez

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries