Login

Alex B Console Levels-Driving the input?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Alex B Console Levels-Driving the input?

Postby sfunk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 pm

I emailed Alex regarding this but never got a reply. I was wondering in the manual it states to hit the input with a -18dBFS signal which is i assume to mimic the headroom of the desk. If i send a hotter signal will the console channel react differently......in a sense start to saturate? Would sending a signal of 0dBFS be the same as "pinning the meters" on the analogue console or will it just result in nasty digital clipping? Anyone tried? Im not at the studio now to check but was just wondering.
sfunk

Re: Alex B Console Levels-Driving the input?

Postby sfunk » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 am

well in case you're wondering i think i worked this out. Yep there is headroom headroom to "drive" the channel and it does seem to add harmonics.
sfunk

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 pm

In a sense start to saturate?

Non lineal distortion is not distortion or saturation. You can consider saturation a first step before get into distortion. In distortion phase signal is complete destroyed (sound BAD). Normlally analog devices before saturate make a kind of compression (level compression). But some analog devices have more headroom that normalized digital ones, normally about +24 dBu, that means about +6 dB of extra headroom.

For analyse if AlexB console emulation presets emulate this behavior use a simple pure wave sine in your sequencer at different levels from -0.01 dBFS to -12.00 dBFS in small steps and measure the out level plus the level relationship between distortion kernels.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby sfunk » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:46 pm

thanks for the reply. that is interesting. I think i'll get testing.
sfunk

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm

We found this behavior sampling a EQ from a console under hi input levels (about +20 dBu). NAT can generate a VTT with 2 step levels, we call IVTT for capture this behavior.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 pm

sfunk wrote:I emailed Alex regarding this but never got a reply. I was wondering in the manual it states to hit the input with a -18dBFS signal which is i assume to mimic the headroom of the desk. If i send a hotter signal will the console channel react differently......in a sense start to saturate? Would sending a signal of 0dBFS be the same as "pinning the meters" on the analogue console or will it just result in nasty digital clipping? Anyone tried? Im not at the studio now to check but was just wondering.

The programs are in various stages of saturation for this purpose. If you want more colour and saturation with the true characteristics of the original console, choose the more driven programs. They should get you closer to what you're looking for.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby sfunk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Goldfish wrote:
sfunk wrote:I emailed Alex regarding this but never got a reply. I was wondering in the manual it states to hit the input with a -18dBFS signal which is i assume to mimic the headroom of the desk. If i send a hotter signal will the console channel react differently......in a sense start to saturate? Would sending a signal of 0dBFS be the same as "pinning the meters" on the analogue console or will it just result in nasty digital clipping? Anyone tried? Im not at the studio now to check but was just wondering.

The programs are in various stages of saturation for this purpose. If you want more colour and saturation with the true characteristics of the original console, choose the more driven programs. They should get you closer to what you're looking for.

Are you sure? Which AlexB consoles have you used? I only have the VBC (the N**e) and there are no driven programs that i can see.......well i think one but its only a mic pre program.
sfunk

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 pm

sfunk wrote:Are you sure? Which AlexB consoles have you used? I only have the VBC (the N**e) and there are no driven programs that i can see.......well i think one but its only a mic pre program.

I have the AlexB VBC, CLC & MBC consoles. All 3 libraries include cleaner and more coloured programs for input lines, mic lines and busses. Check your manuals for more details.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 pm

3K/1K version is not a driven version...
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby AlexB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Rise the input control/fader to drive the console stage, as you do with the hardware. (See the user manual, thanks).
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries