Login

Reverb Or Non Reverb for Consoles and R2R Tape?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Reverb Or Non Reverb for Consoles and R2R Tape?

Postby sfunk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 pm

I've checked the wiki and its recommended that the non reverb version is used for preamps and dynamic programs and to my mind consoles and tape are dynamic programs? Am i right in thinking this? Should i use Alex B and R2R with non reverb? CPU hit is not too much of an issue as im running a 2009 dual quad Mac Pro.

Thanks
sfunk

Re: Reverb Or Non Reverb for Consoles and R2R Tape?

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I prefer using the Reverb version for them. Yes the consoles and R2R and TB+ are preamp-type programs. I think they work excellent in the Reverb instance.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Masr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I think, the best way to tell is to test it. I found out that I usually prefer preamps more with non-reverb version. This applies also to the cabs - the non-reverb version soundd clearly different snd much better, in my opinion. ;)
Masr
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby highvoltage » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:24 pm

All work best in reverb mode. but you will have more latency, but less cpu consupmption.

Reverb mode is needed for longer kernel times, like reverbs and time-variants.
highvoltage

Postby surbitone » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't think I've even opened the normal version of Neb. At worst, I may temporarily reduce the number of kernels in use or switch to econo mode, but any processing is always done at the highest res.
surbitone
User Level V
User Level V

Postby sfunk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:12 pm

cdsoundmaster wrote:I prefer using the Reverb version for them. Yes the consoles and R2R and TB+ are preamp-type programs. I think they work excellent in the Reverb instance.

Thanks for posting. Love R2R-do you still have the more "driven" progams you mentioned in another thread? Could you send me a link?
Just out of interest, and keep in mind im new to Nebula so go easy on me if this is a dumb question...... I'm assuming R2R is "organic" in nature, no two plays will be the same? I have experimented with various renders and i cant get a null. Is this how it should be?
sfunk

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:06 am

Hi there,
Yes it is correct that the dynamic changes and harmonic changes are going to react based upon the input signal like the analog device (organically) and they stream live, meaning that it is not static rendering like more linear coded emulations would be.
For the higher gain presets just email me direct and I'll send them asap. Thanks!

sfunk wrote:
cdsoundmaster wrote:I prefer using the Reverb version for them. Yes the consoles and R2R and TB+ are preamp-type programs. I think they work excellent in the Reverb instance.

Thanks for posting. Love R2R-do you still have the more "driven" progams you mentioned in another thread? Could you send me a link?
Just out of interest, and keep in mind im new to Nebula so go easy on me if this is a dumb question...... I'm assuming R2R is "organic" in nature, no two plays will be the same? I have experimented with various renders and i cant get a null. Is this how it should be?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby highvoltage » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 am

are those higher gain presets just increased in the input pad setting?
highvoltage

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:38 am

highvoltage wrote:are those higher gain presets just increased in the input pad setting?

I'll quote Michael here:

They have been edited to increase the range of distortion to the highest amount possible without 'going over'. What this allows for, is several decibels increase at the input fader, and about +25dB of the Drive feature before 'going over'. When loaded "flat", they are high gain. You can add to this with the fader and drive for very hot levels.

When I say going over, this is the point at which it stops being the way the tape reacted.

For the Revox, Studer, and Otari machines. this 'slamming' is still more subtle for the most part, than the sound of driving a signal to distortion. Tape is not known for the same fuzz-box or buzz-saw overdrive that you might get with full gain tubes. The lower-fi machines generate more audible overdrive at high gain settings.

These 'drive' presets are the best programs imo, they show the 'true' power of tapes :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SWAN » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 am

I just recently purchased R2R - are the high drive settings included in the standard bundle? Its so big Im not sure at this point...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries