Login

AlexB - FENIX : Mix & Master Vari-MU compressors

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - FENIX : Mix & Master Vari-MU compressors

Postby DavidMeShow » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 am

I don't know the exact numbers but adding that one on the Master, using +/- 30ms attack and +/- 100ms release with a good gain reduction is giving me really nice sound ! I need to do more test with single tracks cause I was not feeling anything aswell... :roll:
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Owen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 am

For those wondering about compression, I'd suggest having a look at the manual. I don't own this one yet, but this quote might help some people:

It has a ‘soft knee’ or ‘variable mu’ characteristic in that the compression ratio increases with the amount of
compression being used. Initial compression is 1.2:1 increasing to 5:1.
Continuous controls: attack from 4ms to 120ms – release from 60ms to 2,2s

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby EricH » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 pm

3-4DB gain reduction would be great if I could get that to happen :?

DavidMeShow wrote:I don't know the exact numbers but adding that one on the Master, using +/- 30ms attack and +/- 100ms release with a good gain reduction is giving me really nice sound ! I need to do more test with single tracks cause I was not feeling anything aswell... :roll:

How do you know the ms this program has only scale 1-11 for A/R? you speaking about hardware?

Something seems screwed here with just FENIX.Just unzipped/copied the progs and vectors again. Set the RATE CNV to 3200 as the manual suggests. Maximum possible is 0.3DB with threshold at -48.1 A/R at 2 playing a full mix through with DAW peaks at -3DB. GMD is working fine when I load it and is an awesome program. Fenix seems something is wrong on my system.

Also what does 261kc mean after the program name FENIX MAST DR s ? Does this need authorising or should it just work by copying.

thx
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby AlexB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:26 pm

@ Babiuk: the mix and master units are pretty similar, the differences are: step controls and Mullard-Siemens tubes on mastering unit. The programs are 5k for the mix comp and 10k for the master comp. So, you can easily compare the Fenix with other programs ;)

@ Erich, it seems that you use the external sidechain preset, if you don't have the external sidechain signal the compressor doesn't compress. Please try to use a normal preset, see on the user manual.

About attack and release they are like in the hardware. I release programs which are close at the hardware not only as they sound but also in the controls side. So, refer at the user manual and use your ears ;)

Thanks
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Owen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:27 am

Hi Alex,

@ Erich, it seems that you use the external sidechain preset, if you don't have the external sidechain signal the compressor doesn't compress. Please try to use a normal preset, see on the user manual.

Before I went to bed last night I was pondering if that might have been what Erich had been doing, it would seem likely.

About attack and release they are like in the hardware. I release programs which are close at the hardware not only as they sound but also in the controls side. So, refer at the user manual and use your ears ;)

Where this may confuse others is that there are Nebula Programs where there are knobs with these values, but they do not in fact impact attack and release in the conventional sense. If you ever write an FAQ for your customers, this might help them understand this about these particular programs.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby EricH » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Read the manual except the fundamental basics of course. Spot on Alex I though S was = stereo program. Thanks ALL gain reduction as would be expected. Nice sounds from this, good work as always.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Bsharp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 am

Hey...I am not getting this program to reduce either...whatever patches I use....I have tried to update to the latest version...I'm not sure if the updater worked for certain....but sometimes the patches wont even load...when they do audio comes in and out but the patch is not able to affect any significant amount of gain reduction.

Windows 7, 32 bit
Bsharp
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Owen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Bsharp,

Could you please check your MAST page in the plugin and see what version of Nebula is reported there?

e.g. Version 1.3.504 ([Core X blah])

I believe 1.3.504 is the latest for customers.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Bsharp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah, The problem was the Nebula version...Didn't have the latest installed...Thanks...works now....me likes
Bsharp
User Level III
User Level III

Postby sfunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Bsharp wrote:Yeah, The problem was the Nebula version...Didn't have the latest installed...Thanks...works now....me likes

Mac Nebula is not up to the latest PC version? Does this mean this library wont work correctly on Mac?
sfunk

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries