Login

AlexB - FENIX : Mix & Master Vari-MU compressors

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - FENIX : Mix & Master Vari-MU compressors

Postby adambones » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Alex if you read this - would be interested in what you have to say about this thread I just made. The Phoenix being one of the outboard units I've most wanted got me thinking about my other Thermionic love, the Culture Vulture.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
adambones
User Level I
User Level I

Postby DavidMeShow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 pm

This is my favourite also ! Punchy !
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mr.tele » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Damn! That demo sounds nice! :shock: Ordered and watching my email. :D
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby babiuk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 am

I do own VM from Eric and I´m so happy with it so I'd like to know what differences or best uses you(the guys who have both) do find between these 2 comps. I know they are different machines and I´ll buy Fenix too when I can afford it(it´s low price but not the best time here), but I´d thank any info about it in the meanwhile. Maybe any audio test?

The demo is a MIX comp so it wouldn't be a good evaluation comparing it to VM, being the last a mastering one.
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Martinez » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 am

Got the full version this morning and have been playing with it for about four hours now.

This comp is absolutely beautiful on vocals and really brings them forward amazingly well.
It also controls their dynamics with a degree of transparency that you just can't get from any other comp in the nebula range.

From now on when I reach for a compressor to put on vocals this with be the first one I reach for.

Don't suppose you could do an Innertube Audio Atomic Squeeze Box next by any chance could you Alex?
Martinez

Postby Barendse » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 am

babiuk wrote:I do own VM from Eric and I´m so happy with it so I'd like to know what differences or best uses you(the guys who have both) do find between these 2 comps. I know they are different machines and I´ll buy Fenix too when I can afford it(it´s low price but not the best time here), but I´d thank any info about it in the meanwhile. Maybe any audio test?

The demo is a MIX comp so it wouldn't be a good evaluation comparing it to VM, being the last a mastering one.

STN VM Tube:

- More coloured (too much for me)
- Adjusting compression is very tricky
- Nice 3d image
- Only available as 96khz

3 good reasons to pick up the (great) Fenix also.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cehas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Phenomenal man.. nothing ever sounded so good!

I'll buy this.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby EricH » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Very subtle this one even in driven mode, the usual nonsensical gain reduction from Nebula i.e. no more than 0.7DB possible with threshold all the way down ?
A/R knobs show 1-11 ? Manual suggests actually timings.
Slight depth increase and very subtle change in image for the better. Seems quite neutral in terms of frequency response with not much changing, maybe a touch of air/openning up top attributed to the slight opening

controls their dynamics with a degree of transparencyof stereo perspective.

Sure I can hardly hear it either. :shock:

Punchy? Please do let me know how to?
No ratio so other than A/R/T how do you invoke gain reduction, tried input/drive, no change. my audio was peaking at -6DB Nice subtle program easily worth the money but the normal frustrating Nebula compression traits apply. i.e. it does not seem to do any, or it does it unpredictably.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby geedy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Mmmmmm havent tried it yet but just bought the 76D and thought that was the best neb compressor and now a week later you drop the Fenix and are getting crazy reviews.. :shock: You know what, here's a fistful of money and if that's not enough take me to the bank, but your driven buddy gas prices are too high.. 8-)
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cehas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:35 pm

The hardware has no ratio.. the more you drive it, the more it compresses (the ratio rises).

IMO this works best when doing ~3-4db of compression. I wouldn't compare this to the VM, completely different beast, way slower and it adds ~2db high boost and some bass. This is meant for faster and more transparent compression. The HPF also indicates that this is the mastering version.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries