Login

Cassette Deck 1 - MAJOR UPDATE out now!! New demo programs!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cassette Deck 1 - MAJOR UPDATE out now!! New demo programs!

Postby Cupwise » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am

check my latest post for new update stuff.
Last edited by Cupwise on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cassette Deck 1+ (update to CD1)

Postby richie43 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 am

Yay! Do existing owners of the library get the update, or at least for a reduced price? I don't mean to sound cheap, I am merely wondering. :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am

yes, well i'm thinking about asking for 2$ for the update because of the extra time it took. i've updated most of my other stuff, and gave the updates to customers for free, but this time it took a little more work. also, my amazon s3 account hit some kind of trial time limit or something so my fee per download went up, and since the whole set needs re-downloaded.. i think it's reasonable that i ask for a couple of bucks.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 am

Great, looking forward.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Cupwise wrote:yes, well i'm thinking about asking for 2$ for the update because of the extra time it took. i've updated most of my other stuff, and gave the updates to customers for free, but this time it took a little more work. also, my amazon s3 account hit some kind of trial time limit or something so my fee per download went up, and since the whole set needs re-downloaded.. i think it's reasonable that i ask for a couple of bucks.

That is absolutely fair. Your libraries are always worth what you ask for them.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Re: Cassette Deck 1 - MAJOR UPDATE SOON

Postby Cupwise » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm

This update isn't out yet but I was working hard on it and hoping to release today, but that doesn't look like it will happen. I still wanted to post about it just because I'm so happy with it. The update should be out very soon, and anyone who bought already will get update links when that happens (I'll post here when it's out so you'll know if you should have it in your email).

OK so I've revisited this older library of mine and basically recreated the programs from the ground up, all over again (this is the 2nd time). I'm pretty sure this will be the last major update. I'm REALLY happy with where it's at now. In the past there were some usually subtle, and in some cases not-so-subtle issues that held this back from sounding as authentic as I wanted. I still sold the library because I thought it was good and I thought my price was fair. Now, I feel it's *there*. I think I'll even redo the audio clips or at least make some new demo programs for it.

Long story short- this is an entirely different library now. All the subtle improvements add up to something new.

So I'm copy/pasting from the updates.txt, all the updates so far, below. What's holding back the release is that I'm still looking at a couple of things. 1) Is if I could come up with any kind of meaningful 'SHQ' programs that would provide any better quality (I have an idea). 2) Is if I can look at the phase of the programs vs a dry signal and get them so that you can mix wet and dry to get something in between (more subtle), without having phase cancellations. I'll report on those here when I release it. Anyway, here's the list so far:

-------------------------------------------------------

Almost all programs were rebuilt from the originally recorded tone sweeps. This allowed me to give the impulses a longer length. That allows for a slightly more accurate bass response.

The biggest and most important improvement- tone of the programs has been greatly improved, and made much more accurate. The old programs often had a subtle sizzle/brightness to them that didn't really represent the deck/tapes. Now they're much smoother and just all around better. This is also reflected in how much smoother the freq responses look when graphed by Christian Budde's VST Analyser. The responses look 100x better, with all the jaggy stuff now being almost completely gone, with very smooth high freq response curves in their place now. The sound is just so much more authentic now. I love it. I'm very happy about this fix since it was almost an accidental discovery.

You can use much hotter inputs now. In the old programs hotter inputs resulted in terrible sound, so the old programs had the input padded by at least 10db to avoid that. Now they aren't padded, so your inputs are hotter by default, and now the tonal differences at different input levels is much more apparent. If you use the 'trim' control to adjust the input level, you get different sounding results, usually involving the higher frequencies becoming more or less muffled at different input levels. This was always there but now it's more noticeable and more accurate.

The dynamic action is just so much better. Now the sound has the *weight* it lacked. It actually sounds like lofi tape compression with some programs (usually subtle though because I believe this deck's electronics saturate before the signal hits tape, not allowing much tape saturation), depending on how you hit them. This happened partly as a result of the previously mentioned improvements, just kind of opening up the dynamic sound, but also because I redid the attack/release. The attack was based off of how my latest compressors work, but adapted to make sense with tape. The attack control has been removed because adjusting it didn't really make much difference, and it's fixed to be always very close to instant (like tape). The release is still adjustable but the range has been extended greatly. The default setting of ~40 ms I feel usually sounds best, but you can adjust away from there and will notice a difference with dynamic inputs. It's really cool because it allows you to adjust the 'tapey behavior' some.

Another big one- in some cases the programs could produce weird 'chirpy' artifacts with bassy inputs. These seem to be completely gone.

You might notice that the programs have a lot less samples. It's ok though, the samples that were removed were mostly just noise. I weeded out the harmonic impulses which were below the noise floor. This means the programs only load samples that actually matter. This resulted in the programs and library being much smaller, taking up less space, loading faster, and using less RAM. Both sample rate versions of the library together are around 350mb less than they were. And they still sound better.

Some impulses weren't lined up properly, between dynamic steps (not in sync). Nebula can adjust for that automatically, but I'm not sure if the old programs were doing that or not. Anyway I fixed it here. May or may not have improved the sound any (was hard to test for after all the other changes I made... although I *think* this *may* be why the programs could sound a bit choppy if driven hard, in the past).

Stereo 4 had its left channel tape source switched to use the 4a tape (TDK D90 type I). This is because the previously used tape had an inverse phase for its bass frequencies, relative to the tape used for the right channel. Now the bass should be mono compatible with this stereo program.

Stereo program 2 had its right channel changed from using tape 4A to 4B. This was just because tape 4A is used for Stereo 4 now and I didn't want to use the same tape source twice for these stereo combos.

All stereo programs were rebuilt from the original tones, using a fuller set of dynamics. This means they have more dynamic samples for a more complete dynamic model, and also higher level of harmonics. Originally they only used the lower half of the dynamic steps that I recorded.

Tape # 6 was kept in the original release almost for experimental purposes, or for very particular uses. It just didn't sound like a tape at all. Basically, the jagged frequency response issue was waaaaaay worse with this one than with the others, and it sounded metallic and bad. It sometimes sounded ok with bass inputs so I kept it in the library. Now it's a night and day difference. It doesn't sound unnatural or metallic and does sound like a tape. The actual tape had issues so the result is still more lo-fi than the others, but now it's definitely usable.

Changed the program names to a new scheme, thought it looked nicer. Also changed the category the programs will be found in. Now you don't need to navigate down to two sub-categories to get to it.

A couple of the programs had their kern lengths set incorrectly, and were using Timed mode by accident. Fixed.

Replaced the old freq response charts in the manual with new ones, showing off the new smooooth responses. Also kind of went over the manual again and rewrote a lot of it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:51 am

:shock: woooow

this sounds very promising! :)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby plexus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:34 am

I'm good with paying a bit for the update. I use your Cassette Decks even though people thing I am nuts. But back in high school when I was doing music and well into my 20s before I got reel-to-reel deck, I used cassette to record my mixes and masters. It's all I could afford. I became good with squeezing as much fidelity out of my cassette decks, at the time. Even to the point of demaging and adjusting the azimuth before every recording session (using a coveted reference tape I got my hands on). There were not many decks with mechanically stable heads.

Anyway I like having that cassette vibe in the box. Great stuff. Cassettes are sadly so unfairly under-rated.

Same with vintage radios. But that's a whole other library.
plexus
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Cupwise » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm

this update will be free for everyone who bought in the past. if you saw where i was talking about paying for an update earlier in the thread that was for the last big update i did... 5 years ago! which seems crazy that it was that long ago. (and whether you paid for that update or not, you'll get this)

anyway yeah i think cassette decks/tape can sound really nice if you take care of them. i have 2 decks i bought, hoping i could sample them for libraries, but they both ended up having problems which may be out of my ability to fix but i haven't sat down and given them much time. i've been thinking about picking one and looking at it finally.

and now that i discovered this technique for getting cleaner sound with tape programs i have more reason. we'll see what happens! (cassette deck 2 and casspressors are both going to get that update eventually, for sure though)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RainbowSix » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 am

I recently bought this library but I don't think I logged in while doing so. I can give you the transaction ID for it in a message if needed.
RainbowSix
User Level VII
User Level VII

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries