Login

AlexB : Preamp Color Suite PRO - RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB : Preamp Color Suite PRO - RELEASED !

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:42 pm

I was relating preamp differences and how to listen for those who cannot hear it clearly. High end pres are different shades of excellence, not like Fender vs Rectifier. My 512c's and BAE 1073 are not night and day, but still with clear tonal differences. My TG2s are different again with palpable tonal differences if one is dialed into sonic nuances. Differences can be obvious, but on a finer level.

If a listener is expecting some sort of "explosive" differences between two high end pres, especially on low end consumer systems, he is not listening in the right manner.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Tim Petherick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 pm

It is indeed a great tool. I've been playing with the samples for a good few hours now .It is all about color (which I dont feel is subtle in these libary's, ok maybe not all programs) its not about drastic eq or overdrive sounds. The preamps each have unique effect on instruments and if you pick the right one's you can soften or add punch to bring things slightly forward or backward. It's easily noticeable if added to every track in a mix.

I'm guessing the best way to get them close to the hardware is to use a very sterile/clean preamp for recording then add these over the top for color.

Really like some of the darker preamps on drum overheads.Really helps things sit nice in the mix.
voxboc sounds great on piano.NMan472 with a pultec push at 3k sounds really great on vocals.

It's all good . Bargin price when you think about what your getting , but that goes for most nebula libarys too.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Tp3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:58 pm

AlexB wrote:(sorry, can't resist) :mrgreen: :lol:

TRY HARDER NEXT TIME :evil:

:lol:

Well, I was listening on my EMU1212 with Sennheizer headphones... maybe they're not hi-end ENOUGH for me to discern the differences

Goldfish wrote:I was relating preamp differences and how to listen for those who cannot hear it clearly. High end pres are different shades of excellence

snip

If a listener is expecting some sort of "explosive" differences between two high end pres, especially on low end consumer systems, he is not listening in the right manner.

Look, I won't pretend I'm an expert (because clearly I'm NOT) but
the fact is that in ALL AlexB's libraries I CAN hear what is
going on (on my sub-hi-end system - which is RME HDSP9632).

If this library is intended for "golden ears" - well, I guess I'm not one of them... :roll:
Tp3
User Level III
User Level III

Postby zaminx » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Tp3 wrote:
AlexB wrote:(sorry, can't resist) :mrgreen: :lol:

TRY HARDER NEXT TIME :evil:

:lol:

Well, I was listening on my EMU1212 with Sennheizer headphones... maybe they're not hi-end ENOUGH for me to discern the differences

Goldfish wrote:I was relating preamp differences and how to listen for those who cannot hear it clearly. High end pres are different shades of excellence

snip

Look, I won't pretend I'm an expert (because clearly I'm NOT) but
the fact is that in ALL AlexB's libraries I CAN hear what is
going on (on my sub-hi-end system - which is RME HDSP9632).

If this library is intended for "golden ears" - well, I guess I'm not one of them... :roll:

Loop a Kick or Snare drum or bass and try each Mic pre and adjust the input and outputs levels to hear how each reacts when pushed.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tp3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 pm

OK

I'm back at home, listened carefully to Mercado's sample...
There IS a difference but I think the nature of the sample (vocal) makes it harder (but not impossible) the discern the difference.

Alex, I wrote what I wrote because is no audio samples at your
site... and I wanted to draw your attention towards that fact ;)
(or am I blind and there is one ? I'm not talking about the
general listening room but specifically for CPS)

A l-i-t-t-l-e respect next time will do you no harm 8-)

I'm not a fruity loops kiddo, you know...
Tp3
User Level III
User Level III

Postby AlexB » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 pm

No, my programs aren't for golden ears. They sound very close the hardware BUT with the hardware your brain is more busy to see and to think "wow I own this fantastic *****" and you "think" that it sound awesome even if it is broken. (this happens, and it happens also with some hyped marked plugins).*

I'm sorry but I can't do audio demo for ALL preset in the PCS. If I only did some of it, then people would ask more. I have done the PCS Demo for this purpose, you have solid state, tube and a little driven preset. If you can't hear any difference you may better to consider that if other people can, than "perhaps" is something wrong in your system. You have two solution:

1 - use better system (converters, room, monitors) and overall do a listen training

2 - use the programs even if you don't hear difference

About solution 2: if you don't solve the point 1 you'll have serious problem in your mix with any plugin, instruments, daw, track.

* las week I have listen an original S*L G buss compressor (gray face), the owner was very excited and he said that it sounded very well but to my ears something in the linearity seemed strange. So I have found that a simple IC was in loss with a little roll-off over the 16kHz and a little ripple in the 60Hz.

For this reason I check and refurbish every hardware, also new, before sampling 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Tp3 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 pm

AlexB wrote:No, my programs aren't for golden ears. They sound very close the hardware BUT with the hardware your brain is more busy to see and to think "wow I own this fantastic *****" and you "think" that it sound awesome even if it is broken. (this happens, and it happens also with some hyped marked plugins)

Oh ! tell me about it ! I can go on for HOURS and tell you the things I have read about how this actually happens in our brain !! :) how we "persuade" ourself doing things that don't actually happen in real-life (TBH, as you know, there are people who say the same about Nebula !)

The other day some prominent engineer in my country said in some forum something that personally, I made my signature.

He said :
When one starts to SEE the sounds rather then HEAR them... the trouble begins !

AlexB wrote:1 - use better system (converters, room, monitors) and overall do a listen training

The first part I won't do. why ?

Because when you buy INSTEAD of LEARN... you are getting nowhere. that is the beauty and ugliness of audio gear now-days:
when you feel creatively empty, you tend to fill it with some new gear. better gear. the BEST gear. Only to find that you have gotten nowhere and then you buy AGAIN, assuming that better gear will make you better informed.

I think experience tells us OTHERWISE.

AlexB wrote:2 - use the programs even if you don't hear difference

That's more to the point. but it leaves me trusting OTHER people ears (which is a problem by itself...). it reminds me a VERY (and amazingly relevant to the audio community !) funny scene in the movie "Brain's Life" (hint : "Hail the messiah !" ;))

AlexB wrote:About solution 2: if you don't solve the point 1 you'll have serious problem in your mix with any plugin, instruments, daw, track.

Well, I'm not a super-technician, But I know my way.

My monitors are decent (depends who you ask. by the modern standard they might be considered $hit but engineer with
experience of HUNDREDS of songs - REAL songs - taught me that it doesn't matter on what monitors you mix. it's what YOU HEAR).
My "studio" (bedroom space) is treated to the point that it
translates decently on pro rooms. and that's enough for me.

The thing I am saying is : don't dismiss the uninitiated.

I am no foolish kid (chances are that I'm older then you ;)) and
I DON'T TAKE A-N-Y-O-N-E-'s word for granted. only MY ears.

And if I don't hear, tell me what I SHOULD hear. I'll try to
hear it. fact is that I DID and I CAN hear the consoles at work. and I guess that they are at the same level of "subtlety" :)

I am writing mini reviews for some site and my audio is always fed through Nebula. I can CLEARLY hear the roundness and the "anti-digital" effect. to me it is NO placebo.

The story here is different (for me).

I still would appreciate audio demos from you, preferably of electronic music which lots of bass and transients flying around. then I would be able to better judge.

Thank you

Ariel
Last edited by Tp3 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tp3
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Fishmac » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:24 am

i think you should try the free demo on your own material.
i think if you don't hear a difference, there is no sense in buying this library. i'm not being sarcastic here.
personally, i got all the consoles, r2r, tb+ and most of the eqs out there, i skip this one.
nonetheless i'm happy for everybody who's sound benefits from it.
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

Postby AlexB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

I don't want to offend and to push anybody to buy my programs.
I haven't the time to do audio demo for PCS and I think that it is not necessary: I have done the PCS Demo for this spending a lot of time for this library.

I'm busy, no time for all these things... Stop 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:14 am

AlexB wrote:Too subtle... My fault ! I've forgotten to sample Marshall and Mesa Boogie :?

(sorry, can't resist) :mrgreen: :lol:

Come on!
Join the guitar preamp/poweramp/cabinet battle.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries