Login

Passeq vs Mammoth

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Passeq vs Mammoth

Postby mertayy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:43 pm

I haven't had enough time to analyze in depth and wondering about other professional opinions.

The preset structure makes it harder to directly compare but seems same or at least similar curves can be achieved by both. Coloration of course is a different criteria...

Has anyone tried matching similar settings by both eq's? specifically for mastering.

P.S.: Sure we have a bunch of good eq's but I'm not interested in combinations for this comparison.
mertayy

Re: Passeq vs Mammoth

Postby tumburu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

It's not even a contest IMO...

While it sounds ok, the PassEq still has that soft plugin (pardon the pun) sound to me. It doesn't have that solid sound the Nebula eqs have. It sounds just like a good plugin eq.

Their claim that the left channel of the plugin is closer to the left sound of the modeled unit than the right channel of the unit sounds too much like an ad.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 pm

It is a very good EQ but the passive characteristic sound is too hyped and sounds almost artificial/fake but it is one of the best passive emulations I've heard so far in the non-nebula realm.

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mertayy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree with current comments. To be fair I'm sort of used to working with min-phase eq's together with Nebula. Sometimes because I'm lazy to load another preset :lol: and sometimes for the sound (mostly cuts but grippy+boringly transparent eq can be useful).

Actually I'm pretty happy with the free soneq right now (specially for cuts and there's no freq. graph to fool my ears), this spl plug-in to me is a further step but now thinking maybe at least for now I don't need it...
mertayy

Return to 3rd party libraries