Login

GMC & GEQ

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby deework » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:48 am

I use GMC a lot since i got it.
I would not say it's subtle. I don't have any other nebula console program here but i find GMC flat in the mid and hi but not in the bass !. I do lots of heavy bass track and every time i put the Input or output porgams on the masters i have to put some db back into the bass.It seems to cut the low sub too. I find it perfect for medium bass music but it need more eq tweeks for heavy bass. ..but the gluing effect is really first class.
deework
User Level 0
User Level 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 am

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby yr » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 am

I bought this library yesterday and I agree with the comments about the low bass response- I notice it with the GMC EQ too. It works very well in combination with the vintage bbc console (Tweed) if you are trying to avoid coloration of the mids while pulling the low-bass a bit to the back.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
User avatar
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby yr » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I've created a short example of how the combination between the Tweed and the N*****n sounds like. For the Nebula version I've used TWD-D-NEQ for each channel (6 in total) and TWD-M-NEQ on the master. Further on the master GMC IL Stereo -> GMC LFs st (-2dB@100Hz) -> GMC ST Out. For the version without Nebula I used a linear phase EQ (LP10) and copied the frequency response of the GMC EQ precisely using the vst plugin analyzer. Levels are matched, zip file size is 104mb:

http://wtrns.fr/d7s37y114l2U_i
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
User avatar
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby Barendse » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm

deework wrote:I use GMC a lot since i got it.
I would not say it's subtle. I don't have any other nebula console program here but i find GMC flat in the mid and hi but not in the bass !. I do lots of heavy bass track and every time i put the Input or output porgams on the masters i have to put some db back into the bass.It seems to cut the low sub too. I find it perfect for medium bass music but it need more eq tweeks for heavy bass. ..but the gluing effect is really first class.


Strange. The input and output program both don't have a boost in the lows. The input program has actually a roll off in the lows.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby deework » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Barendse wrote:
Strange. The input and output program both don't have a boost in the lows. The input program has actually a roll off in the lows.


that's exaclty what i am trying to say.. sorry if my english is a bit broken, i'm french :)
deework
User Level 0
User Level 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 am

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby AlexB » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:50 am

Buss Out is flat and quite transparent, the input stage has a little (very very little) roll off in the low end. It's normal since this console was used for vinyl. The user manual suggests to use the input stage if you want more color, if not you can use only the buss out. Don't believe too much at the vst-analyzer since it shows the responses at 0dBfs and not at 0dBVU which is the correct level to read the hardware.
However the bass in this console is solid and focused thanks to Haufe I/O transformers, this is the most appreciate characteristics by Mastering Engineer which love this console.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on the GMC release!
I agree with you about the Haufe Transformers for Mastering. Well, for separates and individual tracks as well- they have a wonderful impact.

AlexB wrote:Buss Out is flat and quite transparent, the input stage has a little (very very little) roll off in the low end. It's normal since this console was used for vinyl. The user manual suggests to use the input stage if you want more color, if not you can use only the buss out. Don't believe too much at the vst-analyzer since it shows the responses at 0dBfs and not at 0dBVU which is the correct level to read the hardware.
However the bass in this console is solid and focused thanks to Haufe I/O transformers, this is the most appreciate characteristics by Mastering Engineer which love this console.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 am

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby Barendse » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 am

deework wrote:
Barendse wrote:
Strange. The input and output program both don't have a boost in the lows. The input program has actually a roll off in the lows.


that's exaclty what i am trying to say.. sorry if my english is a bit broken, i'm french :)


Ah okay ;-)
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby yr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I think it was suggested before (vicnestE?)to use the effectchainer to test Nebula presets at -18dB. You can use it in conjunction with 2 instances of freeG (-18dB & +18dB before and after Nebula. The results are identical to lowering/boosting the Nebula input/output sliders when it comes to frequency response and harmonic distortion. The only test which is negatively effected by the effectchainer is the phase response.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
User avatar
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: GMC & GEQ

Postby vicnestE » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am

yr wrote:I think it was suggested before (vicnestE?)to use the effectchainer to test Nebula presets at -18dB. You can use it in conjunction with 2 instances of freeG (-18dB & +18dB before and after Nebula. The results are identical to lowering/boosting the Nebula input/output sliders when it comes to frequency response and harmonic distortion. The only test which is negatively effected by the effectchainer is the phase response.

Most effectchainers are in 32bit, I haven't found 64bit version.
So I don't use effectchainer when mixing, I use it in VSTAnalyser only for convenience.

AlexB once said something like this: in extreme signal purity case, every plugins damage the signal. So he even use Nebula as volume fader. (Hope I'm not misunderstanding)
But personally I think FreeG(in 64bit) is OK for bringing down the volume and bringing it back.
User avatar
vicnestE
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests