Login

"COOLTEC EQP-1A3S" Now Available !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: "COOLTEC EQP-1A3S" Now Available !!!

Postby yr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby futur2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm

yr wrote:http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/nebulasoftware.html#anchor147166

Don't forget to match the levels.

how can you tell that this is a comparison with the original gear?
futur2

Postby yr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 pm

It's a logical assumption-why would you sample a unit and use a different one for the comparison? In any case, I'm sure Michael can provide the exact details behind the audio-demo.
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lorenzo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:13 pm

futur2 wrote:

Quote from the web site:
"Special Note:
About the Audio Demos:
"20HZ-FLAT-P-N.mp3" is flat, then the Pultec hardware, followed by the Nebula version.
"100-BOOST-CUT-P-N.mp3" is the Pultec hardware followed byt the Nebula version."
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/nebulasof ... nchor51071

Even level matched there is still a difference.

Regards
Lo
lorenzo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby futur2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 am

lorenzo wrote:
futur2 wrote:

Quote from the web site:
"Special Note:
About the Audio Demos:
"20HZ-FLAT-P-N.mp3" is flat, then the Pultec hardware, followed by the Nebula version.
"100-BOOST-CUT-P-N.mp3" is the Pultec hardware followed byt the Nebula version."
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/nebulasof ... nchor51071

Even level matched there is still a difference.

Regards
Lo

ok thanks, i must be blind :lol:
futur2

Postby piperboy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi,
I have read the critism of this audio sample and it caused me to re-evaluate the program. I have posted a couple of times on this particular program because it IS in my opinion, a VERY sweet accomplishment.

As I said, I went to the audio example mentioned and listened several times- forgive me guys but the difference is one that I can not hear.

This criticism is more about the audio sample than the program and I don't have golden ears but I have obsessed over this and still arrived at the same conclusion. The program itself is so good that it is uncanny- I am pretty sure that the differences you here and I can not(lol) may simply be a level matching issue. One slight variation of any device would be enough to greatly scew the render.

I have the program and have used it and honestly- it is one of the ones I use the most... it is That good.

If anything- I would say how about some additional
audio samples

Audio sample ------> A

Actual Cooltec program ----> A+++++

BTW- No argumentative attitude intended, this is just one of the best proggies I have ever used :D

Happy New Year to you all!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby highvoltage » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 pm

i think the real difference between those samples is a little saturation or dynamic behaviour from the original hardware. If you level match the 2 files you can see that nebula one has let through a little more transients.
highvoltage

Postby fuseburn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:06 pm

I can totally understand why some people don't hear the difference between the hardware and nebula in that comparison. The sound of the nebula engine - and I compared plenty of programs with their hardware counterparts - puts a slight glassy footprint on the sound. This has to do with the Attack and Release parameters on some EQs and can be slightly optimized sometimes. The longer the attack time of the engine, the more of the original untouched transient is let through, and that's exactly what I'm hearing on the MP3-comparisons with the hardware - my very unscientific explanation. Imho that effect is responsible why nebula has a solid reputation of "leaving the signal quality untouched". Wherever a nebula program sounds "off" compared to the original, it is at the same time sounding more like the untouched signal, not like the famous digital haze.

I like the hardware better and I can see the reason why people spend lots of money on it, but the resulting nebula programs are very very usable nonetheless, and better than basically all of the other Software-Pultecs out there.
From year to year these slight differences are constantly being worked on. I remember when AlexB posted the first samples of his VBC (N**e) along with the same sample put through a real N**e 8014. People mostly responded with "dude, the nebula sample sounds very good, but the real N**e is incredible !" - and that eventually resulted in the optimized "PRO"-versions of his consoles, along with engine optimizations.
So, yes, the hardware still sounds 30% better, but rest assured that that percentage will get smaller and smaller. The guys know that, and they're working hard on it !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby yr » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Once the RMS levels of the samples are evened out, you can see that the hardware version has higher maximum peak levels then the Nebula one. That means that the nebula version is actually slightly less dynamic. I think that if you listen carefully you can hear a slight difference in the frequency response, with the hardware having a bit more low and a bit less high-end then the Nebula version. In all fairness though, I think that this samples are close enough for the Nebula version to be considered a good reproduction (obviously not perfect).
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagmarpiano » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 am

Just bought it and tried it.

The 10k boost sounds like soft summer wind, as someone said, distant ocean waves, beautiful fine sand...

What an amazing sound....

!
:o
dagmarpiano
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries