Login

R2R usage for complete idiots

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

R2R usage for complete idiots

Postby woeischris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:06 am

So I just bought R2R and tape booster+. Can someone please help me understand how the IPS affects things and give some examples of combinations that work well together on different instruments? Also, should this go on each channel or just buses? Or my master bus? Before my console line input or after?
woeischris

Re: R2R usage for complete idiots

Postby scooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:57 am

Tip of the day: R2R is not that great on the Master.
The advantage to using it's MASSIVE library, is better left to individual tracks.

Here's a mistake I made!
I assumed that Studer_30 -10db would be best on "everything" and I couldn't have been more wrong! I started to dip into the Sony, Revox and Akai stuff for guitars, overheads, bass guitar and things that needed to focus on a gaining a solid/fatter mid-range more and with great success!!!

It's huge and rather daunting, but start dropping it on tracks and scrolling through the different presets. You'll be amazed at what you get out of it after placing a bunch of them all over the mix! :D
-Scott
scooter

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:29 am

Just to elaborate on what scooter mentioned: the IPS is indiciative of tape speed. To simplify it, the faster tape goes, the more high frequency content and "detail" is captured. For this reason, as a generalzation, the lower tape speed programs such as 15ips will be more bottom-end focused where as the higher speeds will favor sweeter, open highs. Overall tape can be associated with "warmth" but if you wanted to prescribe that characteristic in discerning high and low speed think warm, dark, round for low speeds and enriching, polishing for higher tape speeds.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Plec » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:01 am

I just want to chime in and offer that R2R is superb on the master. If that type of color is what you want.

Just because it's tape doesn't mean it will sound good by default. But if you're working on a project where traditionally the genre itself was done primarily on tape... you can't go wrong with the R2R on the master. :geek:
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cdsoundmaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:29 am

These are great comments and good recommendations.
For master buss, I would treat the decision as individually as the song itself. I personally have found that I prefer the Studer, somtimes at 15 IPS and sometimes at 30 IPS, for final 2 track, when there is a lot of lyrical, expressive content, a lot of build-up or layering of warmer instruments, wide electric guitar, warm up-front vocals, etc. I was amazed at the range of subtle differences the Otari makes on master buss and complex group busses. If you are dealing with mixes that have weak percussive or fast transient elements, especially with a dense reverb mix, the Otari is amazing at providing a certain dimension that brings the drums or fast transients more into the proper perspective. They both work great with width and dimension and dynamics, but I do find myself running to generalized decisions of Studer for warmth and Otari for punch.

I am thrilled to get more and more reports from people making use of the other machines. The character is unmistakable and the Akai secret weapon guitar tone-shaping is super fun and a great example of how the overtones captured are just as important as the spectral changes. the more harmonic overtones in the original recording the more the machines like the Sony and Akai drown the track in analog character.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby woeischris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:55 am

So when the different programs say -10db, what does that refer to?
Also, does the rule of trying to get your input level average around -18db still stand for R2R?
woeischris

Postby cdsoundmaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 am

These numbers are reference numbers representing the gain of the machine for each session that was recorded. It is not a reference for what your file/track volume must be, but a reference for the data collection process on my end. The harmonic content for all of the programs that have these reference numbers are based upon a very wide range of dynamics, but each one was edited based upon precise information for each data range. You don't have to follow these numbers as a guide for your own levels.

Every R2R program is optimized for a wide dynamic range up to +0dB, so it is not necessary to calibrate tracks to a lower peak dB or average RMS. If you work with very low levels and would like to, you can increase the R2R input gain by a few dB. If you work at full scale up to +0dB then you can leave each program the way it is pre-configured.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWAN » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 am

cdsoundmaster wrote:
Every R2R program is optimized for a wide dynamic range up to +0dB, so it is not necessary to calibrate tracks to a lower peak dB or average RMS. If you work with very low levels and would like to, you can increase the R2R input gain by a few dB. If you work at full scale up to +0dB then you can leave each program the way it is pre-configured.

Hi Michael - can I just confirm this is the case with all your programs - that they are set up to work up to 0db? So if we use yours with Alex B we need to do a gain change correct?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Swan,
The difference in how the programs are prepared are not extremely different from each other, but yes you are right.

Keep in mind that a wide dynamic range is covered on all of these CDS programs. Even if you keep your source files at a low max peak and load things as they are, you are still getting a proper effect. In that case, the effect is the same as running a slightly lower signal into the machine.

If you want to maximize the highest amount of harmonic content on every program, then you are looking at a slightly different concept when combining the AlexB and CDS programs. It should be as simple as adjusting input/output from other plug-ins as well, based upon not going over digital 0dB and listening for the correct result. The main things to keep in mind is that input gain adjusts the dynamic, spectral, and harmonic content +/- and the output gain is digital controlled +/-, so changing output in Nebula is simply setting levels and not changing the program affect. So, yes the concept used is slightly different, but truly unless you are using extremely quiet tracks, like -20dB, -40dB all the time, you don't really have to adjust anything unless you want to tweak the chain to get maximum harmonic gain from everything in the chain at all times, in which case adjusting is pretty simple and depends on what tracking/mixing concept you are working with. The point with calibrating my programs to +dB digital full scale is to protect you from going over and to maximize the accuracy of the input volume synched to the "drive" feature. If you are working with quiet files, you can increase the input and decrease the output and be done, or leave it alone if you wish the machine to react to a lower rms/peak.

I think that if you find certain program chains to be the most effective for specific tasks, that it makes sense to either save the chains for recall or 'save as' the program name edited to the level you desire. Just like any plug-in with a favorite re-used setting, if you find you lean towards a specific sound as a producer, it helps to save the settings so you don't have to recalibrate anything.

SWAN wrote:
cdsoundmaster wrote:

Hi Michael - can I just confirm this is the case with all your programs - that they are set up to work up to 0db? So if we use yours with Alex B we need to do a gain change correct?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries