Login

OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Postby meloco » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 pm

The program is really nice.
For fun I create an IR from Nebula and run some raw files thru both Nebula and plain convolution. The difference is subtle but really nice! With Nebula there's much more articulation to the sound and notes somehow translate better.
The great thing is that compared to many impulses you can find over the web this one sounds like the cabinet is working in it's sweet spot and speakers are moving air!
meloco
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby rhythminmind » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice collection.
I'm curious what the full signal chain combinations are.? Couldn't find the specs off-hand.
Would be great to know the room type, micpre, mic, conversion, ect. Much of the tone is chain dependent.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby ownhammer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:26 pm

meloco - Thanks very much for the good words, they mirror my sentiments on the topics exactly! Though coming from me it would sound like a sales pitch, coming from users brings weight to the statements, so thanks for chiming in! :)
rhythminmind - Thanks! This topic is covered, but not necessarily answered, on Question/Answer #10 on the Impulses F.A.Q. page:
http://www.ownhammer.com/support/impulsesfaq/
Don't like to pull the Eugene Krabs card, but it is a stance that I have taken and am planning to stick to. 8-)

Best Regards,
Kevin
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

question for kevin

Postby futur2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 pm

kevin, wanted to contact you via the contact box on your website but it keeps asking me for my name which i already entered? so here it goes: you state that a cabinet should be connected to the dummy load. i have the "bluestone classic" from a british company named emerson williams. the company doesn't exist anymore it seems and i always wondered if it's really neccessary to have the cab connected and for safety reasons i did so. is it always like that with all of the dummies, is there simply no way to run them without a cab?
Last edited by futur2 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futur2

Postby ownhammer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi futur2,
I just checked the contact page and you were right, thanks for the heads up! I'm developing a new store for the site (check out the post I make after this one), and I made a server side change that apparently interrupted the mailer on the contact page. It's fixed now, sorry about that!
Personally, (and as stated on my site, this DOES NOT constitute professional advice, nor am I liable for any damages resultant from such opinions) I've never hooked up a cab after the dummy load (I've used a Weber Mass 100 with a few amps in the past). The dummy load manufacturers always recommend that even if you are attenuating all the way that you still hook up the speaker, and my best guess is that if for any reason the dummy load fails or is not able to attenuate all that you are pushing to it, that you are not going to damage your amp as a result. It may be that the attenuator can't actually attenuate the whole signal, or there may be more to it than that, however, this would make sense to me and is my best guess. I'm a VST guy these days, so I'm a little rusty on this topic. :oops:
If anybody else has some higher level of insight or knowledge on this topic, please feel free to chime in!
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ownhammer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to pop in with some quick, but important news. Check out the OwnHammer News page for updates on NEB pricing, frequency discounts, new storefront, and a few other topics of interest:

http://www.ownhammer.com/news

Best Regards,
Kevin
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby futur2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:07 pm

ownhammer wrote:Personally, (and as stated on my site, this DOES NOT constitute professional advice, nor am I liable for any damages resultant from such opinions) I've never hooked up a cab after the dummy load (I've used a Weber Mass 100 with a few amps in the past). The dummy load manufacturers always recommend that even if you are attenuating all the way that you still hook up the speaker, and my best guess is that if for any reason the dummy load fails or is not able to attenuate all that you are pushing to it, that you are not going to damage your amp as a result.

interesting, so i guess the risk is managable. btw, thanks for the refund ;)
futur2

Postby mtlin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Interesting looking product. I haven't purchased any IR's yet since none of the available cabinets appealed to me. My tastes run more to the classic and vintage than modern rock, which seems to the target audience of these impulses. If and when you get some more vintage oriented IR's up, I'll be sure to check them out.
mtlin
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby indravayu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks for the Nebula price drop, OwnHammer - will definitely be purchasing an impulse soon!

UPDATE: Bought the 4x12 Mesa w/V30-1 - testing it out now on some old mixes - sounds great so far!

- Chris
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Formbank » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Just chiming in to say that I think the 112-GTR library is just as impressive as the 412-GTR library, giving a tighter, more focussed sound which you would expect from a single 12 speaker cab.

Cheers for the refunds as well, Kevin - cool !
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries