Login

OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Postby DCvD » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi All,

Just give my 0.02 cts on this topic. I have been a long time ( 1 1/2 year) user of Nebula for CAB simulation. I have the Nebula 3 PRO package and I (mainly) use the 64 bit version in Cubase 5.5 (64 bit). With a 128 sample buffer I am able to run several instances of Nebula in real time. Latency, for me is very acceptable (~11 ms).

Up to now I have been using the Nebula CAB libraries from a guy named AeternusEternus, with good results, especially in comparison to plain WAV impulse responses. But I thought what the heck, let's see what this guy Kevin came up with and check if it is any better.

So I purchased the NEB as well as the WAV versions of the MESA CAB with the Celestion Vintage #2.

If you know your way around in a DAW, Nebula and/or a WAV convolution processor (e.g. the Voxengo Pristine Space) installation and usage is a breeze.

After experimenting with it for a couple of hours . . . . whow. The NEB impulses are almost too good to be true. In comparison to the WAV equivalents, for me they defenitely enhance the feeling of playing through a real CAB. Not that the WAV impulses are no good, the contary they sound very good in itself, but with the obvious limitations that any static IR simply has.

I also did some quick comparison of the Ownhammer WAV impulses with some of the Redwire IRs, to see if there is anything special about them. In the end I would say that each have their specific merits, but the Ownhammer WAVs have an added cleanness, and clarity that is hard to describe. I like it, but that is personal. You simply have to check it out for yourself.

Finally, to check if this is significant step forward in the area of non-linear/dynamic CAB simulation, I compared the Ownhammer NEB impulses with the ones I already had from AeternusEternus. Well that didn't take me long to come to a conclusion. The answer simply is YES, way better. Extraordinary I might say. To me this is a profesional product, where clearly a painstakingly effort has been put in to get the best recording quality you possibly can get. Perhaps that migth explain the significant difference in price between the WAV and NEB package.

I would prefer to see other cabinet types, and also impulses that capture the "far" field, of the room the cabinet is in. This in order get a better CAB in the room feel by mixing near field and far field impulses. But I guess this is just a matter of time, provided people will by this stuff :-)

All in all, quite to my surpise this was 27$ very well spend. Axious to see more products coming from this guy.

Regards
DvD
DCvD
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby vicnestE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 pm

I just bought the 4x12 Rectifier V30 #1 (it sounds more "modern" to me)out of curiosity.

Tetsed with my BC Rich ASSASSIN II custom, EMG81 through
Poulin's LeCto beta as preamp.

The tone is very warm, full, and the dynamic is much better than IR, "organic" is the first word came to me.
The whole guitar sound is vivid and not lifeless anymore.
I could get some punchy tone with the right preamp settings.

Compared to AE's guitar cabinet, the sound is less sharper and fuller.

OwnHammer's Impulses library has 42 samples and 4 Kernels while the older ones(AE's and KingDaimon's)has 35 samples and 5 Kernels.

The only drawback is that nebula.dll has more noticable latency than normal IRs. But the sound is quite amazing.

I wish OwnHammer release more soon :)
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:18 pm

So here we are, the first buyer of "V30 #1" and "V30 #2". (I guess)

I sugguest that OwnHammer might provide Nebula buyer the waves version too as free gift to compare and record in lower latency/CPU usage. (But I guess the new Nebula Engine might have lighter latency and CPU usage)
Just my humble opinion.
I think no one will satify with the static IR version.

To sample a IR V.S. Nebula:
IR scans at 1 volume; Neubla scans at various volumes.
IR captures no harmonics; Nebula captures harmonics.
The time to generate an IR is a lot less than generating a nebula program in NAT3.

So now that I think the $20 is quite worthy and well-spent.

Lecto beta orange vintage + red modern would be cool for metal demos.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:45 pm

vicnestE wrote:
I sugguest that OwnHammer might provide Nebula buyer the waves version too as free gift to compare and record in lower latency/CPU usage.

my thoughts exactly!
futur2

Postby futur2 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:04 pm

DCvD wrote:With a 128 sample buffer I am able to run several instances of Nebula in real time. Latency, for me is very acceptable (~11 ms).

so which settings are you using exactly? the default nebula (not reverb) mast settings of AHEAD 1.5 ms and DSPBUFFER 128 or even lower? just didn't think of that because i always use the reverb version :oops: the non reverb version could make sense now :P
futur2

Postby ownhammer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey guys,
Firstly, thanks very much to DCvD and vicnestE for the detailed info on your experience with the OwnHammer IR's. Very informative and helpful, so again, thanks very much!!!
Lecto beta orange vintage + red modern would be cool for metal demos.

I completely agree. For the longest time I have been wanting Poulin/LePou to release a Recto sim, and since it's a beta that's not publicly on his page, I did not know it existed until yesterday when a customer on the Ultimate Metal - Andy Sneap - Equipment forum posted comparison samples of my impulses to, and I quote (and I do so very lightly) "the world's most popular guitar cab impulse" using the Lecto. I've since found it and may be remaking my "Metal" demo to be a 50/50 between it and the Nick Crow 8505. This is all pending how it ends up sounding, but my intentions are there nonetheless.
Again, thanks for the info, comments, and compliments guys, very glad you are enjoying the libraries and I thank you for your business and feedback!!!
Best Regards,
Kevin
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby DCvD » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:52 pm

futur2 wrote:
DCvD wrote:With a 128 sample buffer I am able to run several instances of Nebula in real time. Latency, for me is very acceptable (~11 ms).

so which settings are you using exactly? the default nebula (not reverb) mast settings of AHEAD 1.5 ms and DSPBUFFER 128 or even lower? just didn't think of that because i always use the reverb version :oops: the non reverb version could make sense now :P

You can not use the "reverb" version of Nebula, that one is for processing very long kernels. IRs have fairly short kernels, and you should use the "normal" version of Nebula. I use it with the default settings. My DAW (Cubase 5.5) runs with a buffer size of 128 samples, which amounts to appr. 11 ms latency, for a signal to get in and out of the DAW. Nebula might add a few milliseconds of look ahead latency, but that's it. For me it feels as responsive as for example the Voxengo Pristine Space convolution processor (for plain IRs).

Dave
DCvD
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:08 pm

You can not use the "reverb" version of Nebula, that one is for processing very long kernels. IRs have fairly short kernels, and you should use the "normal" version of Nebula.

If you don't care about latency you can use the Reverb version. It will save CPU usage!
You could even load a Reverb in the non-reverb version if the RT60 is not exceeding ~0.15s :lol:

The length of kernels is controlled by a program, not the used Nebula version. The non-Reverb version only sets a global limit by default.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby futur2 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 pm

analoginthebox.com wrote:
You can not use the "reverb" version of Nebula, that one is for processing very long kernels. IRs have fairly short kernels, and you should use the "normal" version of Nebula.

If you don't care about latency you can use the Reverb version. It will save CPU usage!
You could even load a Reverb in the non-reverb version if the RT60 is not exceeding ~0.15s :lol:

The length of kernels is controlled by a program, not the used Nebula version. The non-Reverb version only sets a global limit by default.

i tweaked my settings according to the nebula FAQ http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p3361

"Q.5.5 What I can do in order to make Nebula operate with no latency?
You can do it with Nebula non reverb version. In in the MAST page put AHEAD parameter to zero and DSPBUFFER parameter to 16 you can achieve a latency of 20 samples (that's to say "zero" latency)."

feels good, better than the standard settings of the non reverb nebula that also feels kind of ok. but i have yet to try it in a bigger session to see how it behaves...
futur2

Postby futur2 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 pm

ownhammer wrote:At the current time of this posting, there are 3 Speaker Cabinet Libraries available, with more than 50 immediately in the development queue.

53x$20=$1060

that's a little much. i know not everyone needs everything but still some food for thought :roll:

oh yeah would be interested in something fenderish!
futur2

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries