Login

OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Postby ownhammer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Hello,
My name is Kevin and I am the owner and operator of OwnHammer.com. Today marks the initial launch of the Speaker Cabinet portion of the OwnHammer Impulse Response Libraries. The OwnHammer Speaker Cabinet libraries are offered in commercial Nebula, Axe-Fx, and Convolution Reverb format and present you with not only the choice of cabinet make and model, but also different makes and models of speakers that have been placed and sampled within it.

Each Speaker Cabinet library contains 7 microphone choices where placement is based on the sweet spot area for that particular mic. There are 5 sampled placements per microphone, and an additional 5 placements of impulses dubbed Mix-n-Match, which are 50-50 level dual mic combinations. The approach of offering less positions is by concept of quality over quantity, allowing for increased work flow and less time spent searching and auditioning endless amounts of impulse choices, most of which you may never use. Pick the mic whose character works best for your desired sound, fine tune with placement, and you're off!

Audio samples using original music compositions are available on the site, demonstrating the impulses used in bare-bones setup configurations, of which equipment and setting are displayed to inform you how the sound was achieved. At the current time of this posting, there are 3 Speaker Cabinet Libraries available, with more than 50 immediately in the development queue. For much more information please visit the site:

http://www.ownhammer.com

Hope to see you there!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
www.ownhammer.com
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Re: OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Postby futur2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 pm

wow! just listening through the demos. this will be an extensive collection. a new major nebula player. great!
futur2

Postby gbevin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Huge price difference though, $3 for the AxeFX version while $20 for the Nebula version of a single speaker+cabinet combination. That feels a bit excessive to me.
gbevin
User Level II
User Level II

Postby futur2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 pm

gbevin wrote:Huge price difference though, $3 for the AxeFX version while $20 for the Nebula version of a single speaker+cabinet combination. That feels a bit excessive to me.

i fear we slowly have to accustom ourselves to higher library prices.

the other thing with the cabinets is that it will be pretty hard to use them realtime. i've not tried to tweak my nebula settings to the lowest latency possible and i won't because i smell nothing good. so basically this is a reamping device. and here you might be right, it's a little bit expensive for that. and while the impulses (wavs) might be lower quality they can be used live. a solution could be to use the impulses while playing and inserting nebula afterwards, so it would be nice to have the wavs included in a nebula purchase.

but all nitpicking aside i applaud the effort!
futur2

Postby greekpeet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:04 am

These sound VERY good, and I don't feel that the price is too much but I think that it should be much easier to buy everything all at once.

Pain to sit there, select cab, select speaker, select... then add to cart for each. single. one...

Site is very hard to navigate at first, and it took me a few minutes to figure out the pricing structure/where to buy.

Should make it easier to click and buy everything you have, maybe offer a 25% discount for customers who buy in bulk. Price is right though for these for sure.

My buddy is co-owner of Austin Speaker Works, and I can see if I can get you guys some product to sample... Hit me up via private message.

http://www.austinspeakerworks.com/
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby vicnestE » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:19 am

Price is too high and a 96KHz library with more mic positions will be better.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby MOjO_FET » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:56 pm

I agree, price difference is high.

And a bundle with a discount would be attractive!

All that aside great sounds!
It's good to know that Nebula gets it right (at least so right that you don't suffer algorithmic digitalitis) when compared to the usual amp emulations.

br
Michael
MOjO_FET
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ownhammer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:12 am

Hi guys,
First of all thank you for the compliments from those of you forthcoming with them, very much appreciated! I also wanted to jump in and touch on a few topics raised in replies to this thread.

- 96k and more mic positions -

There are 40 unique impulses per package, and at 44100 Hz this comes out to around 230 MB. In the beginning, I tested 96000 Hz against 441000 and found near zero audio quality benefit, leaving utilization of that sample rate detrimental to both myself and the prospective consumer. Additionally, adding any more positions and/or higher sample rate and this would go against my digital download only sales format. I do not wish to go the route of mailing CD's, so it will stay this way. The mic positions cover the most desireable place on the speaker, adding superfluous (and/or useless) placements promotes unnecessary confusion, clutter, time wasted tinkering, as well as deviates from the quality over quantity approach I take in creating the libraries. If you need a significantly different sound, moving the mic past what is offered will do less than either using a different mic, changing the settings of the amp, or using a different cab/speaker. Again, unnecessary disparity in my view.

- site navigation -

Initially I started out without the pulldown menus and had everything listed on the impulses home page. This ended up looking like 'Where's Waldo?' with the sheer number of content on the page. The pulldowns keep the page length minimal, and actually prevent tedious digging, in my experience/opinion.

- inclusion of multiple formats into single sales items -

Considered this, but then the price would have just gone up. ;) Different formats yield the possibility for different needs applications, and I consider each format as such.

- price -

Very touchy subject in which I could give you a list a dozen or more items long for justification of not only the price rate, but the price difference between formats. However, I do not feel this is appropriate/necessary and the reasons should be fairly obvious. At $0.50 per impulse, I doubt you'll find many commercial library developers offering this at less than 2 to 5 times that price. :D

Hope this helps, thanks for your time and interest!

Best Regards,
Kevin
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby vicnestE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:02 am

"40 unique impulses per package"
Is there any program list or manual?
Any info about the poweramp you used?

And about your demo, you might want to try
TSE808 as tubescreamer:
http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36
Better than IK's tubescreamer IMHO.
Is there any EQ in the guitar??
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby ownhammer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:47 am

Hi vicnestE,

As per your questions:

"40 unique impulses per package"
Is there any program list or manual?

The listing of unique impulse contents is on the Impulses home page:
http://www.ownhammer.com/impulses/
If you expand the Speaker Cabinet section info, I detail what all is included in each library, specific to library format. Much additional info can be had on the Impulses F.A.Q. page:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/impulsesfaq/

If/when you purchase a library, included is an html file redirecting you to these pages for information, and this was done in lieu of a static PDF for the fact that if for any reason information is added or changed, users will reference the most up to date version of this information instead of referring to the static information in the PDF they received with the library.

Any info about the poweramp you used?

Yes and No. Yes in that this question is answered on Question/Answer #10 on the aforementioned FAQ page; No in that other than stating that it is solid-state I do not wish to divulge further info for reasons explained in the answer. I in no way have anything to hide or wish to be difficult with this, but I want to encourage people to rely on their ears with no preconceived notion or expectations.

Is there any EQ in the guitar??

None, nor is there any other post processing besides the volume maximizing hard limiter on the master bus to get the levels up to what is considered 'commercially standard/acceptable. I even detail the virtual amp settings I used to get the sound if you scroll below the player on the sound demo pages. Again, nothing to hide, no tricks up my sleeve! :)

I very much appreciate the link to the tube screamer, I wil MOST DEFINITELY give that a shot the next chance I get! I tested between the AT3 TS and the BTE TSS and preferred the AT3, but I've been so very busy with development for the site and these impulse libraries that I didn't think to check for any other, and possibly superior, versions of the stomp.

Hope this was helpful, and thanks again for the referral to the Onqel TS!!

Best Regards,
Kevin
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries