Login

AlexB : Vintage German Mastering Console PRO - RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB : Vintage German Mastering Console PRO - RELEASED

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:03 am

enigma2win wrote:interesting, never thought about it that way.

was just confused because i remember reading a post of alexB saying that he puts the R2R before the console...

Hi enigma,

Always great help from Richie, Cupwise ...

The issue you mention of R2R before the console related to the aspect of having, say, virtual instrument tracks that were rendered inside the DAW, or recorded straight in.

If you wanted to simulate an analogue recording setup, those tracks could then be treated as if recorded onto [say] a 24 track 2" deck. Thereby you would insert a R2R instance at or near the head of your effects chain, effective giving you playback from tape.

As mentioned, there was no single way we would track, bounce, Overdub, or mix in an analogue based studio.

Back in the day ... we got to the point of minimum signal path when practical [and sometimes NOT].

For example ... instead of using a consoles preamp, we would feed the mic signal into an outboard preamp, possibly followed by a compressor [or many times not], and [via the patchbay] would patch directly to the multitrack tape input .. thereby bypassing all of the console electronics.

Playback from tape then returned [via line inputs] back to the console to allow monitoring, eq, mixing.

We also had a 22 trk limit [or if synchro slaved] have 44 tracks to record to.

Many times during the basic tracking, things like drums were spread out across 10 or 12 tracks [when possible]. Once recorded to tape, and prior to addition overdubs, we would combine elements like toms down to a stereo sub ... to be printed back to tape [sometimes with additional eq, compression, etc]. This would open up new tracks available for the addition production. The point ... some sources hit the tape more than once.

Lead vocals were usually handle in composite form, whereby we'd have 4 or 5 takes, select the best of, sub them down, and bounce that to tape as a single composite [which could then be punched into].

My mention of minimum signal path becomes obvious when you take into consideration the amount of sonic manipulation that could take place ... had the balance the good with the bad. :roll: And since I despised most tape noise reduction protocols, proper attention to signal levels through the process was mandatory ... ahhh, no different today.

hope this helped.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 am

Cupwise wrote:yeah. i think this is an interesting topic, because things were done in the analog days at least to some extent out of necessity. but now you can simulate/emulate each step separately so you can create any chain you want. on one hand you can follow the time tested methods and set up chains that got great results in the past, but on the other hand you could use the advantage of nebula, which ironically, and ultimately, in my opinion, is that it's DIGITAL. it means you don't have to be confined to using those (now almost arbitrary) chains, and you could come up with new ones that weren't even possible in those days. it's like the best of both worlds.

so there's the maybe 'safer' approach of using time tested 'chains' of processing, which is ok to do and makes sense, but then if you want you could do an eq, a tape, then a pre, then a console, then an eq, then another tape, etc etc etc and if your cpu is good enough you can keep it all in place. then later if you don't like it you can undo all or some of it and replace the whole thing. it's the real beauty of nebula.

The beauty AND the torment of Nebula. Sometimes that is why I DO "confine" myself to old-school parameters..... too many choices sometimes leads to less work getting done (but sometimes more fun and learning....)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby enigma2win » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 am

wow this is most interesting. I appreciate everyone's input a lot.
Teaches me a ton about the good old days.

I guess my question was mainly directed to those "old safe" methods you were all talking about. You know, to simulate like the good old days and get the safe results intended. :D
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am

The funny thing to me is that many elements of the "good old days" of audio work, as has been mentioned before, were things that engineers actually tried NOT to deal with, or at best, they learned to accept. And now we crave and emulate these things (tube "noise", tape saturation, effects of transistors and transformers, etc). So some of these "safe" methods will give you exactly what many of us had learned to accept as " as good as it gets but not perfect". Funny, really. I just hope that my wife buys into that mentality regarding me in our marriage, as I become old and "good old days".... :lol:
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 am

My girl STILL remembers the 'Good Ole Daze', with all the complaining about 'is this as good as it gets' ! :shock:

:lol:

Gee ... I remember the old days when nobody would dare cut rock'n roll on the S*L of the '80s :o

Or the early VCA's used in fader automation ... particularly the ones that passed audio through them :shock: On the early MCI's, we would by pass the automation package. We'd mix in sections if we had to, and splice the 1/2" together.

Not that 'today' is any less challenging :P
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 am

RJHollins wrote:My girl STILL remembers the 'Good Ole Daze', with all the complaining about 'is this as good as it gets' ! :shock:

:lol:

Gee ... I remember the old days when nobody would dare cut rock'n roll on the S*L of the '80s :o

Or the early VCA's used in fader automation ... particularly the ones that passed audio through them :shock: On the early MCI's, we would by pass the automation package. We'd mix in sections if we had to, and splice the 1/2" together.

Not that 'today' is any less challenging :P

Ah, the memories..... I would never trade in my Nebula/Aqua set-up to have all of that back.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:59 pm

RJHollins wrote:Gee ... I remember the old days when nobody would dare cut rock'n roll on the S*L of the '80s :o

Well, to be fair, there were SSLs ... and then there were SSLs. And it was not without reason that so many heavy rock albums were mixed down, but not tracked on them.
Goldfish
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:21 am

Perusing the AlexB website, and noticed that the GMC [German Mastering Console] link is dis-abled.

If this was a recent change .... I wonder ...

Could the long awaited upgrade version be preparing for release ??

Tonite, I'm finishing up a restoration/mastering of a life Rock show from 1967. [Hammond B-3, Guitar, Drums].

No other Console [and I got a lot of them] does anything close to what this Mastering Console sounds like. I used several EQ bands from this library. Big, full body, depth ... and just connected so well with the energy of the tracks.
Maybe something to do with 'matching the era' with the equipment, as none of the more modern consoles [which are very nice] complimented as well as the GMC.

Fingers crossed :mrgreen:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby teddybeer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Great ! The v2 is coming. Also for GMD
teddybeer
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby botus99 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:55 pm

RJHollins wrote:No other Console [and I got a lot of them] does anything close to what this Mastering Console sounds like. I used several EQ bands from this library. Big, full body, depth ... and just connected so well with the energy of the tracks.

Totally agree. GMD was one of the first libraries that I ever bought, and I remember the feeling I got when I first put it on the 2mix. There have been very few exceptions to the rule of using GMD on every master I've made since then.

I've been excited about the V2 of GMD/GMC since AlexB started doing them. Hoping that missing page is a sign of things to come!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries