Login

AlexB : Vintage German Mastering Console PRO - RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB : Vintage German Mastering Console PRO - RELEASED !

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Don't drive the inputs too hot. :D
If you overload analog gear, it's not pretty either.
Working in digital, one should respect gain staging just
as much as working in the analog domain. One wouldn't be careless with gear right? With Nebula, when overloading it
you get technical errors that are not even part of what was captured. So, be mindful of you signals and work in nominal ranges.

deework wrote:Hi ALEX.
i bought it and really love the sound too. But sometimes when input peaks are driven to hot it make crazy clipping at the outpout here !! signal comes to full (output clip in full red), the sound stop and after the signal disapear at output (output meter to zero).
Seems like a bug of the library.. i have lots of Alexb and analog in the box stuff and none of them have this weird behaviour.. could you please explain what could be the cause of that ?

thx
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby AlexB » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank to all. Pesonally I love this console which is the base inspiring for my custom homemade mixing console (but with some tube stages).

TranscendingMusic has asnwered correctly, please respect the gain staging as user manual describe.

@edbilleaud: the filters are quite transparent circuit and it is not like running the signal through the outputs twice.

Thanks
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:15 pm

I think that has to do with using the (NON) Reverb version of Nebula. Use the Reverb Version of Nebula Pro 3 and not the regular version and this should stop.

deework wrote:Hi ALEX.
i bought it and really love the sound too. But sometimes when input peaks are driven to hot it make crazy clipping at the outpout here !! signal comes to full (output clip in full red), the sound stop and after the signal disapear at output (output meter to zero).
Seems like a bug of the library.. i have lots of Alexb and analog in the box stuff and none of them have this weird behaviour.. could you please explain what could be the cause of that ?

thx
-Scott
scooter

Postby gbevin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Just finished my first mastering with GMC today, really loving it. This song of my band's upcoming record has been giving me a lot of trouble to give it the right spectral balance. I think GMC did a great job on it.

Here's the version with GMC:
http://media.flytecase.be/Insane.mp3

And the one without:
http://media.flytecase.be/Insane_nogmc.mp3

The chain I used was:
GMC IL St -> HFs st 7.00kHz +4dB -> HM st 2.80kHz +4dB 2.00Q -> LM st 500Hz +2dB 1.00Q -> LFs st 60.00Hz +2dB -> GMC St Out
gbevin
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Stolle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Wow! The difference is indeed huge! Best demo so far!
Stolle
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby mathias » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:36 am

@gbevin
nice demo! it really makes a huge difference.

my experience is similar to what i hear in your demo.
gmc brings clarity and definition, better separation between instruments/frequency-ranges.

i really like that console! thanks alessandro!

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Plec » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:58 am

I thought the hi-end was cool, but what I really can't do without anymore is the HUGE low-end shelf. It has a punch and snap to it down there that I have heard only from one other piece of equipment, which I don't own, haha.

Superb release!

What I was a bit skeptical to though, was the input and output programs. When mastering, you don't really want a color coming from the console. All mastering consoles are built to have as little sonic impact as possible and quite few big name mastering engineers state that the console is a necessary evil since it sounds better just patching everything by hand, but having a lot of equipment to interface it does become a necessity.

So, I was thinking if this is really a sensible idea, modeling the character of a console that you would probably not want there anyway unless you really needed to?

It does have a character though and so far I've been liking the i/o programs too, but I think it's still worth stating that a mastering console generally isn't used in a mastering suite because of its sound. Unless like in this case where it's so vintage and has a character that can add something positive.
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Anthony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 am

After listening few songs here at the Nebula forum some things entered my mind: http://turnmeup.org/ and http://www.dynamicrange.de/.
Well, now we have tools to make it right: keep nuances, dynamics, analog sound,... but I find songs having 5-6 dB dynamics and digital distortion.
Maybe I'm just stuffy, outdated.
Anthony
User Level I
User Level I

Postby gbevin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am

Anthony wrote:After listening few songs here at the Nebula forum some things entered my mind: http://turnmeup.org/ and http://www.dynamicrange.de/.
Well, now we have tools to make it right: keep nuances, dynamics, analog sound,... but I find songs having 5-6 dB dynamics and digital distortion.
Maybe I'm just stuffy, outdated.

It's an eternal debate Anthony and while the purist in me cringes, I look at the reality and I've decided that it's a battle that I'm not going to fight to the extreme, even though I'm generally a very stand-up guy and I've been stepping up for the good cause as much as possible (releasing products as open-source, contributing to communities, reducing personal energy consumption, frequent donations to humanitarian organizations, volunteering work, ...). The music world sadly got into this state for a reason and almost all casual listeners got used to it, certainly for 'popular commercial music'. It's already difficult enough for an unknown band to make any kind of place for itself, and I've been struggling to do so for 20 years, I don't want to add additional friction. I think this is up to higher profile artists that really can send a message or up to mastering engineers that can really pull their weight.

I initially was planning on doing the right thing regarding the loudness issue but the following made me change my mind. I'm actually not convinced anymore that it's wrong for the type of music that my band is making. Most of our audience isn't audiophile at all and listens to music while doing other things (driving the car, taking the train, being at work, cleaning the house, ...). Most people don't take the time to sit down and just listen to music without doing anything else, often it's merely background music. In that case, having to babysit the volume knob is actually extremely frustrating. Worse even, there's often a lot of surrounding noise, so the listening conditions are so that a lot of dynamics would actually ruin the experience unless the overall volume would be pushed up extremely high to allow for the softer elements and passages to be audible. I've heard the argument that music players these days often are able to compensate for that automatically by raising the volume after RMS analyzation, but that's not really true is it. They will not apply any compression, limiting, EQ, ... like what is typically done during a mastering process. Even if they did though, I wouldn't want to trust a fully automated process to make our music comfortable to listen to in these situations, it's already hard enough to get it to an acceptable state when using expensive tools with careful manual tuning. It's a tradeoff and for the audience that we're targeting, making the music flatter actually makes the music more enjoyable.

I still try to keep it mostly within the limits of K14 metering, with some passages creeping into the red.

Anyway, that's my view about it. :-)
gbevin
User Level II
User Level II

Postby farjedi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 pm

To join in the off topic debate, I think you can only lead by example. What needs to be shown is a success where the album was mastered without degrading the sound quality and people bought it because the music was great. The trickle on effect will be more people will feel brave enough to be the odd one out. Maybe even the consumer will enjoy these records more, less ear fatigue, more organic sound etc..
We as aspiring engineers/producers are feeding this thing and what there needs to be is a backlash against this a&r bs.
And if your really worried about losing things out when your listening in real world situations just use car stereo/boombox to check your mixes and adjust accordingly, not let some plugin decide what needs to be louder.
I know if your industry the above is a nonsense and you got to make money and so forth, but the rest of us have a choice..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries