Login

VCult - new distortion released

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: VCult - new distortion released

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
nicolasmasset wrote:Hi folks, any opinions on this vs r2r? Are those two libraries different enough? I tried the vcult demo yesterday on synths and I must say I was very impressed. Wondering which to buy now though...

Apples vs. oranges; the Thermionic CV (I am assuming that's what this program is sampled from) is for valve distortion. The R2R is tape machines.

These are indeed completely different things. Both wonderful in their "analogizing" effects. As I said here before my perspective is that Nebula not only offers the chance for the opportunity to work with wonderful tools, tools that differ immensely but also tools that are alike but still have their unique qualities. Even the same gear will be slightly unique to each other. The realism is translated just like sitting in a studio with let's say two same model EQ's. One wouldn't dare say they are exactly the same. Anyway, I'm digressing :) Yes these are different beasts!
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby DavidMeShow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey guys, I love this library but I have a question. When i'm using the "T" preset, adjusting the "Bias" seems to change the stereo image a lot. Is it happening to you too?

David
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi David, there was a discussion about this I think last year :?: , I believe, over at gearslutz. First off, in general distortion always affects stereo imaging. Having said that, with higher Bias values you can clearly hear how more and more of the signal is being enhanced, especially transients. At lower bias settings transients would still be affected but only high level ones such as snare which are usually more mono. This could for example change the perception of the stereo image. On individual tracks during mixing this is generally not an issue. For mastering, I really advised to users that using this in split mono (split a stereo track into mono left, mono right)or M/S gives you more control with the amount of low level distortion and character you can add to a channel (L/R or Mid/Side): so if you found for example that the image felt narrower at low settings for a particular channel or the mid or side, you can respectively increase processing for one and less for the other effectively creating your own ratio of processing per channel. And since the subtle differences & tolernaces between the two channels are still there you get that analog-like euphonic imaging. Hope that helps.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby DavidMeShow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks for the advices! :)
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby tyrrell » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm

I am about to buy VCult, just wondering where people prefer to put it in the chain.
I think i read somewhere that it is nice to have a compressor after it. How about for individual tracks seems like it would make sense to use it before eq and compression to me. but how about before or after preamp tape and or console?
Of coarse i will be trying these things out for myself but i am interested in how it has worked for everyone else too.
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Postby tyrrell » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Also is it set -18 DBFS/?
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries